Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan not spinning, "no display" on monitor, but card gets warm

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2012 2:09:12 AM

So I recently decided to upgrade my case, motherboard, CPU, and monitor. I kept the stock harddrive and optical drive and a graphics card I had bought for cheap from a friend a few months earlier. I installed and plugged in everything, and all seemed to be fine except for the GPU. The fan isn't spinning, the monitor gives the message "no display," but the card DOES get hot if left to run for a while.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.4GHz
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620W 12V
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme3
Hdd and optical: stock HP

Here are some answers to questions I know might come up:
* The CPU fan spins and all case fans/lights spin/come on.
* The PSU definitely works. It gives power to the mobo and passed the "paperclip test."
* I tried using the GPU on my old motherboard, and same issue: no fan, no display, nothing.
* I don't have a motherboard speaker, unfortunately, so if there were beeps, I wouldn't hear them.
* I have one stick of 4GB RAM, which I tested in all four slots.
* I went through the no POST/no display checklist on here and made sure I was golden with all the items.
* I don't have another GPU I can test on the mobo or integrated graphics.

I'm thinking it's probably that my GPU is dead. It's older and I bought it used anyway, but I had used it on the old mobo for months without issue. Are there some other signs of a dead/fried GPU, or some other ways I may be able to test it? Thanks.
September 9, 2012 2:28:32 AM

did you plug in the auxiliary 6-pin PCIe connector? it sounds like a simple question but we need to make sure it was installed correctly.
September 9, 2012 2:42:17 AM

To the GPU, yes. I also ensured there was only one port and tried the other PCI cable.
Related resources
September 9, 2012 2:49:16 AM

you tried it on your old board, does that board work without the card installed?
September 9, 2012 3:03:14 AM

A light came on on the old board and it ran fans as etc., but when I tried te CPU on it it didn't work. I suspect this is because my current CPU is AM3+ and that old mobo is AM3, but I'm not totally sure.
September 9, 2012 3:08:20 AM

is the phenom the old cpu or the new cpu? it uses socket AM3, it should work on an AM3 board as well as an AM3+ board.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 3:16:52 AM

I had an 8800gtx do the same thing, I replaced the gpu with one off ebay and t worked fine, but you could always spring for a new one.
September 9, 2012 4:48:38 AM

regularguy290 said:
is the phenom the old cpu or the new cpu? it uses socket AM3, it should work on an AM3 board as well as an AM3+ board.

The Phenom is the new CPU. Guess my old mobo had some issue of its own then.

To the person who mentioned their GPU doing the same thing, thanks for the info. I had planne on upgrading anyway, now I guess I'll just have to do it sooner.
a c 187 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 9, 2012 5:33:17 AM

make sure on the new mb you have the 4/8 pin pci power plug plugged in without it plugged in the cpu and video card cant getthe power they need from the pci bus. also check with the mb vendor that the new cpu will post with the shipping bios. a lot of time the mb will work but they need a flash bios update to post.
September 9, 2012 7:19:56 AM

smorizio said:
make sure on the new mb you have the 4/8 pin pci power plug plugged in without it plugged in the cpu and video card cant getthe power they need from the pci bus. also check with the mb vendor that the new cpu will post with the shipping bios. a lot of time the mb will work but they need a flash bios update to post.

smorizio said:

The 4-pin PCI power plug is definitely plugged in, I found that out while going through the no POST/no display checklist here on tomshardware. :)  I also just checked the website for my ASRock 970 Extreme3 mobo and it looks like the CPU will post without needing to flash the BIOS. Under "BIOS" on this webpage, it says "all" next to my processor, so I'm assuming this is the answer, at least: http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=970%20Extreme3

However, I'm fairly certain it's the GPU that's my problem. Still, I plan on buying a mobo speaker, a stick of RAM (just in case), and a new GPU, since I need all those items anyway. It's just too bad that I'll have to wait a week or so until I can afford these things!

If I remember, I'll update this thread with the diagnosis once I get those items. Thanks for the help and info, everyone (and feel free to make more suggestions if you happen to think of anything).
September 16, 2012 1:50:52 AM

Best answer selected by korina.
September 19, 2012 1:22:23 AM

Hey guys, I was able to get my computer up and running by just buying a new graphics card. I will also note that the stick of RAM I had been using was not compatible with my mobo, so that is something to always check out.

Thanks for all your input!
!