william

Pop quiz! What spheres can be used to create this effect:

A man chasing a mage slips on gravel, allowing the Mage to get away.

Answer now!

(mine in a seperate post)

William wrote:

> Pop quiz! What spheres can be used to create this effect:

> A man chasing a mage slips on gravel, allowing the Mage to get away.

> Answer now!

Matter/Prime, to create gravel!
Matter, to take pre-existing gravel and convert the outer layer of rock
into some slick substance!
Matter, to smooth out the surface of pre-existing gravel, reducing
friction and making tripping more likely (like option 2, except with no
weird chemical evidence afterwards)!

Forces, to reduce the co-efficient of friction on the surface of
pre-existing gravel!
Forces, to make the gravel move on its own so that the guy trips!
Forces, to give the guy a shove while he stands on pre-existing gravel!

Mind, to give the guy an unconscious impulse to trip!

Spirit, to get the spirits of the gravel to trip him!

Correspondence, to teleport some gravel from elsewhere to underneath the
guy's feet!

Life, to cause a muscle spasm in the guy's leg so he loses his balance
and slips on gravel!

Entropy, to cause the guy to just happen to trip!
Entropy, to cause some of the gravel to decay into dust, making the
gravel looser!

Sorry, nothing for Prime or Time as of yet.
--
Stephenls
Geek

william

William wrote:

> Pop quiz! What spheres can be used to create this effect:
>
> A man chasing a mage slips on gravel, allowing the Mage to get away.
>
> Answer now!
>
> (mine in a seperate post)

Correspondance: The most direct application to the effect, simply use
Corr 3 to coincidentally increase the distance between the mage and
pursuer.

Matter: Reshape the gravel to be perfectly round and unsteady.

Forces: Nudge the pursuer off balance.

Life: Mess up the pursuer's sense of balance.

Mind: Confuse, startle, or simply order the pursuer to trip.

Entropy: Stupid, broken "hex! Oh, bad luck for you!".

Prime: Enchant the gravel with a "slippery" or "treacherous" resonance.

Spirit: Awaken the gravel, ask it for a favor. Or just ask a spirit to
perform any of the other effects mentioned.

Time: Give the pursuer a momentary glimpse of a distracting event in the
past.

And that's 'em all!

William

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2in8eeFpcs22U1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Sorry, nothing for Prime or Time as of yet.

Prime dissolves certain properties the pavement the Mage just ran
over, causing it to become slippery gravel.

Time teleports the gravel that *was* there in the past (or will be
there in the future) to the clean surface the Mage just ran across.

Dex

In the borning days of the third millennium, William wrote:
>Pop quiz! What spheres can be used to create this effect:
>
>A man chasing a mage slips on gravel, allowing the Mage to get away.

Prime: disintegrate section of gravel, creating a hole.
Entropy: his shoes decayed and became slippery
Life: affect his balance
Forces: gravity is extra strong on his right side today
Spirit: invoke a jaggling to trip him
Mind: make him dizzy
Time: slow down one foot, thereby disrupting his stride
Correspondence: suddenly move him up 3 inches and 20 degrees forward
Matter: move the gravel so he steps in a hole.

--
Brian Merchant (remove 'remove' and 'example' from email)

Puritanism didn't keep the puritans from sinning, it just kept
them from enjoying it.
--Father Joe Breighner
Country Roads

William wrote:

> Pop quiz! What spheres can be used to create this effect:
>
> A man chasing a mage slips on gravel, allowing the Mage to get away.
>
> Answer now!
>
> (mine in a seperate post)

Entropy: for the "Sorry 'bout your luck" effect

Forces: a gentle shove, and "whoops!"

Matter: change some of the gravel to axle grease to make the rest of the
gravel slick.

Matter/Prime: create gravel for man to slip on. (Though I would be more
likely to create a banana peel)

Correspondance: allows mage to bring gravel to the area and scatter it
in the man's way

Life: decrease his Dex, increase his chance to slip/fall

Mind: That's not gravel, that's a poisonous snake about to strike! Man
falls as he tries desperately to stop himself.

Spirit: command a spirit to trip the man for you

Mags (don't see a way to get Time to do this. But 8 out of 9 ain't bad,
I suppose)

"William"

> Pop quiz! What spheres can be used to create this effect:

> A man chasing a mage slips on gravel, allowing the Mage to get away.

> Answer now!

Correspondence: Create a small ban right over a patch of gravel.

Forces: Two words: no friction.

Entropy: He just HAPPENED to slip.

Life: Muscle spasm. Or make algea.

Mind: He thought the ground was drier than it actually was and got
reckless.

Matter: Turn some gravel into super-slipery slime.

Prime: Expel the base energy from under their foot.

Spirit: Summon a spirit who can do any of the above.

Time: Momentarily cause the gravel underfoot to move faster as he walks.

"Francois Gombault"
> Shane Graves wrote:

> > Prime: Expel the base energy from under their foot.

> Excellent. May I call you "Master"?

From how some people think I lack an understanding of the game, I think not.

"William" <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote in message
> Pop quiz! What spheres can be used to create this effect:
>
> A man chasing a mage slips on gravel, allowing the Mage to get away.

Any of them!

> Answer now!
>
> (mine in a seperate post)

Correspondence - Teleport the guy from a vertical position to a horizontal
position (coincidental effect: he tripped)

Entropy - Tweak the probability of his tripping (coincidental effect:
running on gravel is dangerous)

Forces - Screw with his inertia (coincidental effect: the random shifting of
the gravel caused him to loose his footing)

Life - Give him a leg spasm (coincidental effect: the stress of running on a
limb on a sub-optimal surface caused a spasm) [alternately - mess with his
inner ear]

Matter - Loosen the earth and adjust the gravel to be more unstable
(coincidental effect: when you ran over that section of gravel, your feet
shook things up and made it less stable)

Mind - Give him momentary vertigo (coincidental effect: overexertion is
making him lightheaded and dizzy)

Prime - Enchant the gravel to become the metaphysical ideal of dangerously
unstable gravel (coincidental effect: people sometimes trip when running on
gravel)

Spirit - Convince the spirit of the gravel to trip the guy (coincidental
effect: he tripped)

Time - Temporally tweak his inner ear with time magic (coincidental effect:
he got dizzy & tripped)

-Essex

william

Essex wrote:

> Time - Temporally tweak his inner ear with time magic (coincidental effect:
> he got dizzy & tripped)
>
> -Essex

That one went over my head. Explain?

William

William squarked:
> Essex wrote:
>> Time - Temporally tweak his inner ear with time magic (coincidental
>> effect: he got dizzy & tripped)
>> -Essex
> That one went over my head. Explain?
>
> William
You see, within the modern day paradigm of some scientific scientists they
believe that there is a part of the ear that controls balance. Working
within this paradigm you can make the inner ear out of step with the rest of
the body by moving it fractionally forward in time, thus making them dizzy.
--
Picks-at-Flies
A flamewarrior, making a valiant stand against the Evil Scooby Gang.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:41:13 +0100, "Picks-at-Flies"
<aidan@nospam.werepenguin.co.uk> wrote:

>William squarked:
>> Essex wrote:
>>> Time - Temporally tweak his inner ear with time magic (coincidental
>>> effect: he got dizzy & tripped)
>>> -Essex
>> That one went over my head. Explain?
>>
>> William
>You see, within the modern day paradigm of some scientific scientists they
>believe that there is a part of the ear that controls balance. Working
>within this paradigm you can make the inner ear out of step with the rest of
>the body by moving it fractionally forward in time, thus making them dizzy.

Of course that's not slipping on gravel.

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:41:13 +0100, "Picks-at-Flies"
> <aidan@nospam.werepenguin.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >William squarked:
> >> That one went over my head. Explain?
> >>
> >> William
> >You see, within the modern day paradigm of some scientific scientists
they
> >believe that there is a part of the ear that controls balance. Working
> >within this paradigm you can make the inner ear out of step with the rest
of
> >the body by moving it fractionally forward in time, thus making them
dizzy.

> Of course that's not slipping on gravel.

Sure it is. He slipped. He's on gravel. He slipped on gravel.

-Essex

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 02:26:38 GMT, MagsTheAxe <magsmarie@att.net>
wrote:

>Entropy: for the "Sorry 'bout your luck" effect

I forwarded this thread to a friend of mine, and he disagress
with this use of entropy.
His idea (translated from French):
The entropy effect must be applied only on simple (in quality and
quantity) phenomenon.
It does not create randomness, and only raise or lower the probability
of a given event.
For the falling guy,his fall depends on a great numbers of complex
factors, few of them really random (is he really running without
looking at the ground, why should he fall, rather than keep balance ?)
Considering that all these factors are randomly determined means (for
my friend) that Entropy becomes universally usable, and so you never
need any other spheres. Why not just tell that he's so unlucky that
when falling a gravel enter his brain by the eye and kill him ?

What do you think ?

Guillaume

"Guillaume JAY"
> MagsTheAxe

> >Entropy: for the "Sorry 'bout your luck" effect

> I forwarded this thread to a friend of mine, and he disagress
> with this use of entropy.
> His idea (translated from French):
> The entropy effect must be applied only on simple (in quality and
> quantity) phenomenon.
> It does not create randomness, and only raise or lower the probability
> of a given event.
> For the falling guy,his fall depends on a great numbers of complex
> factors, few of them really random (is he really running without
> looking at the ground, why should he fall, rather than keep balance ?)
> Considering that all these factors are randomly determined means (for
> my friend) that Entropy becomes universally usable, and so you never
> need any other spheres. Why not just tell that he's so unlucky that
> when falling a gravel enter his brain by the eye and kill him ?

> What do you think ?

In a word, no.

You can make unlikely things likely.

For example: running on gravel.

A lot of people fall when they run on gravel.

Just making sure someone fell while running on gravel is not that big a
whoop.

Entropy rotes that we've seen cover all kinds of stuff. From the "Long Arm
of Murphy's Law" rote which says if there IS a branch on the ground, the
target of the effect will step on it and make a noise, to "Look at me...I
can play black jack like a pro".

And you know what, I'm sure you COULD kill someone by having them fall onto
something and hit something vital. That's why you can use successes to
serve as damage from magical effects.

"Shane Graves" <lobsterhut@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Guillaume JAY"
> > MagsTheAxe

> > >Entropy: for the "Sorry 'bout your luck" effect
>
> > I forwarded this thread to a friend of mine, and he disagress
> > with this use of entropy.
> > His idea (translated from French):
> > The entropy effect must be applied only on simple (in quality and
> > quantity) phenomenon.
> > It does not create randomness, and only raise or lower the probability
> > of a given event.
> > For the falling guy,his fall depends on a great numbers of complex
> > factors, few of them really random (is he really running without
> > looking at the ground, why should he fall, rather than keep balance ?)
> > Considering that all these factors are randomly determined means (for
> > my friend) that Entropy becomes universally usable, and so you never
> > need any other spheres. Why not just tell that he's so unlucky that
> > when falling a gravel enter his brain by the eye and kill him ?
>
> > What do you think ?

I think tumblng dice are very similar in shape and behavior to
loose gravel. :)

> In a word, no.
>
> You can make unlikely things likely.
>
> For example: running on gravel.
>
> A lot of people fall when they run on gravel.
>
> Just making sure someone fell while running on gravel is not that big a
> whoop.

I would require a nontrivial number of successes, myself. Forces
can easily move the gravel and cause someone to slip using one or
two successes. Increasing the odds the gravel will slip when the
target runs across it can be done with one success, but the nudge
in probability is far less certain to cause the target to slip
than actually moving the gravel.

> And you know what, I'm sure you COULD kill someone by having them fall onto
> something and hit something vital. That's why you can use successes to
> serve as damage from magical effects.

Here you're talking such incredibly bad luck, it's on the horizon
of what Entropy-as-luck-magic can do. In my WoD, this style of
magic goes beyond the damage/duration chart and relies completely
on the Storyteller's evaluation.

Vis Sierra

"Vis Sierra"
> "Shane Graves"

> > In a word, no.

> > You can make unlikely things likely.

> > For example: running on gravel.

> > A lot of people fall when they run on gravel.

> > Just making sure someone fell while running on gravel is not that big a
> > whoop.

> I would require a nontrivial number of successes, myself. Forces
> can easily move the gravel and cause someone to slip using one or
> two successes. Increasing the odds the gravel will slip when the
> target runs across it can be done with one success, but the nudge
> in probability is far less certain to cause the target to slip
> than actually moving the gravel.

Really? I'd give it two successes on an Entropy 2 roll.

At least, by taking a peek at the chart in the book.

> > And you know what, I'm sure you COULD kill someone by having them fall
onto
> > something and hit something vital. That's why you can use successes to
> > serve as damage from magical effects.

> Here you're talking such incredibly bad luck, it's on the horizon
> of what Entropy-as-luck-magic can do. In my WoD, this style of
> magic goes beyond the damage/duration chart and relies completely
> on the Storyteller's evaluation.

True. And to me, quite a few successes.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:11:25 -0400, "Essex"
<mopperma@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

>"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:41:13 +0100, "Picks-at-Flies"
>> <aidan@nospam.werepenguin.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >William squarked:

>> >You see, within the modern day paradigm of some scientific scientists
>they
>> >believe that there is a part of the ear that controls balance. Working
>> >within this paradigm you can make the inner ear out of step with the rest
>of
>> >the body by moving it fractionally forward in time, thus making them
>dizzy.
>>
>> Of course that's not slipping on gravel.
>>

>Sure it is. He slipped.

No, he didn't. He experienced a spell of vertigo.