Sign in with
Your question

Problems Booting New System

November 5, 2012 1:29:24 PM

Hey all,
This is my first post so bear with me please.

I recently completed building my first computer (I've built a few at work but they are used for clusters and use much newer and more expensive parts than my own system). My build is as follows:
Motherboard: DX58OG
CPU: Core i7-950
Memory: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card: nVidia Geforce GTS 450
Hard Drive: 3.5" Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
PSU: Alpine 500W Quiet Silent

At the moment the system is connected to a 42" HD TV through the hdmi port on the video card.

The Hard disk is completely new and will require formatting at some point.

So I booted the system up for the first time hoping that everything would turn on fine and that I would be presented with the BIOS screen (I had the 'Boot to BIOS' button on) but, of course, this did not happen. The very first time I started the computer some text was displayed on the screen (I cannot recall what it said) and it turned itself off. I have tried turning it on many times since and haven't got any display of any sort.

Now whenever I turn on the computer the onboard POST Code LED Display stops at either code 15 or code CF. I have looked into both these codes and there are a couple of things that I could try (such as reseating memory and removing the CMOS battery), I am going to attempt these when I get back from work so I thought in the meantime I'd post here. From looking around the web I have also seen that it could be caused by a faulty board or PSU, which makes me think it might be the cheap PSU I have used. The board is a second hand one from work but I've used it before with quick test systems at work so I'm almost certain that the board is fine.

So to summarise I am basically wondering if anyone else has experienced any problems like these and if so how did you solve them?

Cheers,
Stu

[***, meant to make this a question but it won't let me edit this to a question -.-]
!