Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Nvidia GTX or ATI HD 7770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 9, 2012 6:41:52 AM

Hello, I am currently planning to buy a new GPU. I am choosing between these GPUs:

GTX 650
GTX 560
GTX 550 Ti
HD 7770

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next Month

BUDGET RANGE:$150

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming(Max Payne 3, GTA IV, Assassin's Creed 3,etc.) and Watching Movies

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GT 220 and Local PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:

CPU: q8200 @ 2.33Ghz
MOBO: P5KPL AM EPU
RAM: 4GB DDR 2

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Philippines

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1360x720

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:Must run games at High to Ultra Settings with at least x4 AA. I also want 3D capabilities(anaglyph,etc.)

Also, can someone help me choose a budget PSU?

Thanks! :) 

More about : nvidia gtx ati 7770

a c 142 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 7:37:58 AM

You're not going to get ultra with 4xAA while in 3D on your budget. Not with these cards, even at your low resolution. As for the cards you listed they go in order from fastest to slowest GTX 560 > HD 7770 > GTX 550Ti. The 650 isn't out yet, so I don't know for sure what its performance will be like. Looking at the leaked specs, it looks like an overclocked GT 640 with DDR5 RAM, so it probably won't be that impressive, maybe performing close to the HD 7770 at best.

Another thing you will need to understand is that GTA IV will not run all that well regardless of what graphics card you have, it is a very badly coded game. Best you can really hope for is that you stay above 30FPS at all times. GTA IV likes a very fast quad core CPU, so you may want to try overclocking your CPU.

Out of all those choices, the GTX 560 is the best, however that card uses about 150 Watts of power on its own. If you don't have a good quality 450 Watt power supply at the very least, it won't work for you. As said above, you may also want to consider overclocking your CPU, at your low resolution a 2.33GHz CPU is going to hold back the 7770 and 560, especially in GTA IV.

As for 3D support, nvidia does have better support for it than AMD right now, but I believe you need an nvidia certified display to use it, so you probably will need a new monitor if you want to do 3D. AMD is a bit more flexible with their 3D implementation as far as monitors go, but you have to buy 3rd party software to get 3D to work, and you also need to have a monitor built for 3D, so if you don't have a 120Hz 3D ready display, you'll need a new monitor.

As for power supplies, Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and XFX are good brands. How expensive they are where you live, I don't know. You're going to want a 400 to 500 Watt PSU at least if you want to upgrade to a decent graphics card.
Score
0
September 9, 2012 8:02:18 AM

Supernova1138 said:
You're not going to get ultra with 4xAA while in 3D on your budget. Not with these cards, even at your low resolution. As for the cards you listed they go in order from fastest to slowest GTX 560 > HD 7770 > GTX 550Ti. The 650 isn't out yet, so I don't know for sure what its performance will be like. Looking at the leaked specs, it looks like an overclocked GT 640 with DDR5 RAM, so it probably won't be that impressive, maybe performing close to the HD 7770 at best.

Another thing you will need to understand is that GTA IV will not run all that well regardless of what graphics card you have, it is a very badly coded game. Best you can really hope for is that you stay above 30FPS at all times. GTA IV likes a very fast quad core CPU, so you may want to try overclocking your CPU.

Out of all those choices, the GTX 560 is the best, however that card uses about 150 Watts of power on its own. If you don't have a good quality 450 Watt power supply at the very least, it won't work for you. As said above, you may also want to consider overclocking your CPU, at your low resolution a 2.33GHz CPU is going to hold back the 7770 and 560, especially in GTA IV.

As for 3D support, nvidia does have better support for it than AMD right now, but I believe you need an nvidia certified display to use it, so you probably will need a new monitor if you want to do 3D. AMD is a bit more flexible with their 3D implementation as far as monitors go, but you have to buy 3rd party software to get 3D to work, and you also need to have a monitor built for 3D, so if you don't have a 120Hz 3D ready display, you'll need a new monitor.

As for power supplies, Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and XFX are good brands. How expensive they are where you live, I don't know. You're going to want a 400 to 500 Watt PSU at least if you want to upgrade to a decent graphics card.


I'm aware that GTA IV will not perform well so exclude that from the games I want to be at high settings. As for the 3D, I will only use it for movies. For the PSU, is coolmaster psu good? Also, I have read somewhere that a q8200 cant be overclocked, is it true?
Thanks!
Score
0
Related resources
a c 142 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 8:11:31 AM

CoolerMaster PSUs are not good on the lower end. Avoid the Extreme Power and Extreme Power Plus lines. The Silent Pro line is good, but they are more expensive and start at 600-650 Watts.

The Q8200 can be overclocked, though how far would depend on your motherboard and your cooling setup. If you have the stock Intel cooler, you will have to replace it with an aftermarket cooler to overclock. CoolerMaster Hyper 212 is a good cheap cooler, but it is big, so it may not fit in your case, be sure to take measurements and compare case dimensions before ordering graphics cards and CPU coolers. Feel free to check out the overclocking forum if you need to know more about how to OC your CPU.
Score
0
a c 109 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 8:20:14 AM

Got a budget?
Score
0
September 9, 2012 8:37:50 AM

amuffin said:
Got a budget?

At least $250 on PSU and GPU
Score
0
a c 109 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 8:52:08 AM

Websites?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 10:39:00 AM

I cannot understand the prices so I will just try to guess :p 

You can stay in your budget with this combination of PSU and GPU:

Coolermaster GX 650W is strong and capable of any non-SLI/Crossfire combination:
http://pcx.com.ph/components/power-supplies/coolermaste...

HD 7770 will play most games at pretty high on 1080p, especially the DirectX11 based (this is not the case for BF3 multiplayer and GTA):
http://pcx.com.ph/asus-hd7770-dc-1gb-ddr5-128bit.html

However, if u want to play all the games on high or ultra on 1080p u will need to spend more for the GPU and go to HD 7850:

http://pcx.com.ph/asus-hd7850-2gb-ddr5-256bit-hdmi.html

Still I dont recommend buying HD 7850 unless u also upgrade your CPU (i3 2120 is enough for most games, but seeing that you play BF3 and GTA I would recommend at least the quad-core i5-2310) or u will get bottle-necked by the CPU in these games.
Score
0
September 9, 2012 11:01:19 AM

XXStavrosXX said:
I cannot understand the prices so I will just try to guess :p 

You can stay in your budget with this combination of PSU and GPU:

Coolermaster GX 650W is strong and capable of any non-SLI/Crossfire combination:
http://pcx.com.ph/components/power-supplies/coolermaste...

HD 7770 will play most games at pretty high on 1080p, especially the DirectX11 based (this is not the case for BF3 multiplayer and GTA):
http://pcx.com.ph/asus-hd7770-dc-1gb-ddr5-128bit.html

However, if u want to play all the games on high or ultra on 1080p u will need to spend more for the GPU and go to HD 7850:

http://pcx.com.ph/asus-hd7850-2gb-ddr5-256bit-hdmi.html

Still I dont recommend buying HD 7850 unless u also upgrade your CPU (i3 2120 is enough for most games, but seeing that you play BF3 and GTA I would recommend at least the quad-core i5-2310) or u will get bottle-necked by the CPU in these games.

Thanks for the reply, to get the us price just divide it by 43. For me its ok for gta 4 not to be set at high or ultra. I just want the games to be smooth in gameplay especially ac3 and skyrim. So do you think is an hd7770 is more than enough for my current pc? Thanks!
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 11:44:28 AM

Grpc96 said:
Thanks for the reply, to get the us price just divide it by 43. For me its ok for gta 4 not to be set at high or ultra. I just want the games to be smooth in gameplay especially ac3 and skyrim. So do you think is an hd7770 is more than enough for my current pc? Thanks!


Just saw that you actually use lower resolution so yes, I believe that HD 7770 will fit u perfectly. I don't believe you will have a problem with ac3, and about skyrim, it is not GPU demanding but it can use well strong processors so I am not certain.

I suggest that u buy the graphics card and try to overclock your CPU to 3GHz, and only if you are not happy with your performance you buy when you can afford a stronger CPU like i5-2310.

EDIT: With Coolermaster GX 650W and Asus HD 7770 you pay 10 495.00 / 42 = 249.880952 so its exactly your budget. Glad I could help!

EDIT2: You may also want to consider this GPU:

http://pcx.com.ph/inno3d-gtx560-1gb-ddr5-256bit-hdmi-1....

It's a GTX 560 so its faster and the price is almost the same, however asus and its cooling system has a better name and probably will be a more quality product. If u plan on upgrading your monitor in the near future with a 1080p one, GTX 560 is better buy. In 1360x720 res however you won't notice any major difference, so its your call.
Share
September 9, 2012 11:54:00 AM

Best answer selected by Grpc96.
Score
0
September 9, 2012 11:59:38 AM

Thanks for helping me choose a good gpu. Wait, 1 question, do you think a P5KPL AM EPU mobo is capable of overclocking?
Thanks!
Score
0
September 9, 2012 12:10:02 PM

XXStavrosXX said:
Just saw that you actually use lower resolution so yes, I believe that HD 7770 will fit u perfectly. I don't believe you will have a problem with ac3, and about skyrim, it is not GPU demanding but it can use well strong processors so I am not certain.

I suggest that u buy the graphics card and try to overclock your CPU to 3GHz, and only if you are not happy with your performance you buy when you can afford a stronger CPU like i5-2310.

EDIT: With Coolermaster GX 650W and Asus HD 7770 you pay 10 495.00 / 42 = 249.880952 so its exactly your budget. Glad I could help!

EDIT2: You may also want to consider this GPU:

http://pcx.com.ph/inno3d-gtx560-1gb-ddr5-256bit-hdmi-1....

It's a GTX 560 so its faster and the price is almost the same, however asus and its cooling system has a better name and probably will be a more quality product. If u plan on upgrading your monitor in the near future with a 1080p one, GTX 560 is better buy. In 1360x720 res however you want notice any major difference, so its your call.

Ok then, I will choose the 560. Im gonna upgrade my monitor in the future. Ok another question: will it bottleneck if I dont oc right away? Thanks!
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 12:13:47 PM

Grpc96 said:
Thanks for helping me choose a good gpu. Wait, 1 question, do you think a P5KPL AM EPU mobo is capable of overclocking?
Thanks!


I am no expert in overclocking, however as I saw on this post, http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t345213.html , your mobo " is limited for overclocking (no core voltage options), all I can pretty much do is play with numbers and the RAM speed", but it uses an Asus TurboV (or maybe Turbo Key?) technology which helps achieving greater overclocking results. Anyway overclocking up to an extent can be done, so you can start with that.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 12:15:33 PM

Grpc96 said:
Ok then, I will choose the 560. Im gonna upgrade my monitor in the future. Ok another question: will it bottleneck if I dont oc right away? Thanks!


It won't bottleneck in 1360x720. Overclocking will serve you mainly in higher resolutions in CPU demanding games (MMO like BF3), so for most games u will be fine.
Score
0
September 9, 2012 12:28:14 PM

XXStavrosXX said:
It won't bottleneck in 1360x720. Overclocking will serve you mainly in higher resolutions in CPU demanding games (MMO like BF3), so for most games u will be fine.

Ok I'll just have to wait till next month to buy it. Thank You for your help! :) 
Score
0
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 7:50:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!