Sign in with
Your question

Costco Deal? Opinions

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2012 3:03:40 PM

While I know it's better to build your own and I have built my own I'm not sure I can do it cheaper than this

http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-8500-Desktop%2c-Intel%C2...

$1199 after rebate and includes Windows 8 and Office Home & Student 2010 - Full Version. I suspect the graphics card isn't the greatest but my main use is recording/music and I don't play a ton of games so that isn't an issue. I would like an SSD for fast booting/loading and this doesn't have that but if it could be upgraded later that might work.

Not necessarily going to buy this over building one but it is an interesting option and would like to hear some opinions as there may be some inherent problems with getting such a computer (like be prepared to need to upgrade in 2 years).

My current biggest concern is that I am not sure my current recording software/hardware will work in Window 8 so while it might be a good upgrade (or might not) it may not work for me anyways

More about : costco deal opinions

November 5, 2012 3:11:35 PM

Unless it comes with a $500 monitor, I don't think it is a very good deal. (Does the monitor even come with it at all?)

GPU and power supply suck. For a non-gamer it should be nice.
m
l
November 5, 2012 4:07:13 PM

It comes with a monitor

Included monitor: Dell S2740L 27" Full HD LED (1920x1080, 16:9)

I'm guessing that the GPU is better than my current one which is 6+ years old but the Power Supply does concern me since I'm guessing these prebuilt ones are cheap PS
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2012 4:27:57 PM

Actually the more I look at it the more I don't think it's such a good deal. Probably ok for someone like my wife who doesn't want to build a computer and only surfs the internet (and probably overkill for even that) but for me it looks like there are too many restrictions/things I don't want or need
m
l
November 5, 2012 6:25:00 PM

That machine is def not worth $1200. A 27" monitor is nice but, it's $300, so after that we're looking at $900 i7 machine with 16gb ram and shitty GPU, okay HDD, no SSD and probably cheapo PSU. For the same money you can put toghether a much better quality machine.
m
l
November 5, 2012 6:43:16 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mCZe

Essentially the same specifications, including monitor OS ect.
For $500 less. Pre-built's are essentially never a smart buy.
m
l
November 5, 2012 7:01:23 PM

If you were to buy a computer through costco I would go with costco's warranty. Dell has a horrible history of awful customer service. And I'm with Aza's comments if its something you are capable of doing.
m
l
November 5, 2012 7:57:15 PM

Thanks I am pretty convinced it is better to build your own but when I tried to price it out over the weekend I kept finding that the price wasn't so much different. Of course the biggest problem is I probably am picking parts on Parts picker that are much better quality (and therefore more $$) than the prebuilt system so the comparison isn't an apples to apples one.

I'll build my own when I decide what I want...assuming I don't decided to go with a laptop approach
m
l
November 5, 2012 8:44:46 PM

Yes the parts you will find off a computer parts store are typically leaps and bounds above the parts you will find in a pre-built manufacture machine.

Laptop is a different story within itself.
m
l
November 5, 2012 8:51:45 PM

azathoth said:

that's not true. Prebuilts are good buys in two situations- 1. Really cheap machines- anything less than about $400 and prebuilts are great thanks to the windows license and centralized warranty support. yes, they are worth something.

2. Buying a computer for a business. It's a lot easier to write off a prebuilt than something you pieced together. And the warranty becomes even more important (and less expensive since you can write the cost of a better warranty off if you want to). Workstations are very good to buy prebuilt, servers are imperative to buy prebuilt.
m
l
November 5, 2012 8:55:52 PM

bigshootr8 said:
If you were to buy a computer through costco I would go with costco's warranty. Dell has a horrible history of awful customer service. And I'm with Aza's comments if its something you are capable of doing.

The thing with computer company warranties is that you always hear about the couple dozen who have had bad experiences but you never hear from the hundreds or thousands of people with good experiences nor from the thousands of people whose machines didn't break down in the first place thanks to solid engineering and testing regimens. Don't forget customer satisfaction surveys are voluntary and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I'm not saying you'll have a good experience but those customer experience surveys should be taken with a grain of salt- I don't believe Apple support is any better than HP or Dell, but apple has a lot more fanboys.
m
l
November 5, 2012 9:08:13 PM

I was wondering if building my own was such a great idea after I spent 3 solid weeks sorting out that it was a flaky RAM stick causing a daily random blue screen that looked like it was coming from 12 different components. If it was prebuilt, I would have sent it back after 3 days! As is, I got to waste my evenings playing PC doctor on my new build.

I don't think buying prebuilt is a bad idea at all, unless you are a gamer who needs a good GPU and PSU. You pay through the nose for those components from Dell, etc. Again, I think this just wasn't a stellar deal. It has nothing to do with the fact that it was prebuilt.

Here's the same thing from Lenovo for a lot cheaper: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

It would be hard to build an i7-3770 build for $700 including OS. If you ever do want to game, you buy a PSU and GPU upgrade at the same time. Not really an issue.

m
l
November 5, 2012 9:12:35 PM

Dell has absolutely horrid customer service all you have to do is youtube it and you will see why Dell is a awful company to work with. When you have to pay a premium to not get outsourced customer support you know something is off.
I know from experience that HP customer service has been quiet helpful and the great thing about Apple is I believe they honestly do there best to serve you even though it may not be the best but Dell they are far behind in the area of customer service.

And I disagree with prebuilts. I think they are good for those who don't have the aptitude to build a machine. And buying parts for me sometimes goes into the realm of getting parts with decent warranties behind them.

Also there is no comparison part wise with a pre built computer. Open up a modern day hp, or dell look at the following parts and tell me im lieing

Memory: most likely junk
Power Supply: probably a super low watt power supply
Motherboard: probably zero quality

And say you were to buy a premium product like dells xps line. You are paying way over the amount on cost on the hardware.

And this goes far beyond the stereotype that only gamers need custom built machines

Building a PC leaves you a larger amount of headroom for quality control where as buying from a manufacture gives you zero zilch notta nothing.
m
l
November 5, 2012 9:26:27 PM

azathoth said:

It's not the same system, you included an I5 instead of an I7 and a 21" screen over a 27" inch screen, nor did you include Office 2010, and you only included 8GB of RAM instead of 16GB nor did the case you picked have USB 3.0. You have no media card reader in there. Redo your system with those additions and make it exactly equal and see how much cheaper you really are.

At least make it comparable. Easy to pick together a system with the cheapest parts you can find that doesn't even equal it and say, oh it's $500 less. I can price together a KIA less than a Mercedes, doesn't mean they are equal in specs but the KIA is better because it's priced cheaper.
m
l
November 5, 2012 9:40:05 PM

Memory is usually pretty good stuff in pre-builts. They don't want to replace it later. Motherboards are generally custom build from Foxconn, etc, who also build half the brand name motherboards, too. Hard drives are a good brand name. Power supplies are low wattage, yes, but not low quality. Again, they don't want to replace them.

I build some and I buy some, depending on the goal. It's not always black and white. My last dell inspiron was an excellent computer that served me well without a single hitch and it was anout $150 cheaper than building my own at that time.
m
l
November 5, 2012 10:02:05 PM

Last week they had the white XPS 8500 for $999. It included i7, 2TB HD, 256GB SSD,16GB RAM, and I upgraded the GPU to a 7870 for $50 more. I decided to hold out on my current computer for a little longer. Not a bad rig for the price. Yeah, the PSU may be cheap, but I work (IT) in a business where Dell is our primary PC supplier and haven't had any PSUs give out. You might hold out for a similar deal or build your own. I've never had an issue with their customer support (laptop issues) - users can abuse their stuff.
m
l
November 6, 2012 5:09:16 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Just because a motherboard is made by foxconn doesn't make it good. Same goes for hard drives, and power supplies are quite low quality.

Whatever. I have a 10 year old compaq that still works great. My 2008 Dell q6600 box is still rock solid. We are using 8 year old IBM's at work in some labs. I know what they are running inside and it's not low quality.

Now if you are talking $350 emachines, then we aren't having the same argument.

m
l
November 6, 2012 5:40:50 AM

A lot of Dell's should be marked at that price "Now if you are talking $350 emachines, then we aren't having the same argument." with the junk they put in them. But I'm done with this quarrel its not helping this man and I think he probably has a general idea of what he would like to do.

dell xps 8300 i7 with a gtx 560
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/341074-28-running

versus quality components
m
l
November 6, 2012 12:44:42 PM

bliq said:
I'm not saying you'll have a good experience but those customer experience surveys should be taken with a grain of salt- I don't believe Apple support is any better than HP or Dell, but apple has a lot more fanboys.

also, don't forget that a lot of apple fanboys are blithering idiots that don't know a computer from a microwave, so at any moment they run to their apple store and then praise the man there who was able to find the button that opened their email.

m
l
November 6, 2012 1:04:08 PM

bigshootr8 said:
A lot of Dell's should be marked at that price "Now if you are talking $350 emachines, then we aren't having the same argument." with the junk they put in them. But I'm done with this quarrel its not helping this man and I think he probably has a general idea of what he would like to do.

dell xps 8300 i7 with a gtx 560
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/341074-28-running
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/dell-xps-8300/dell-xps-8300_inside.jpg

versus quality components
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/IMG_2000.jpg

Can you include water cooling and and a $200 power supply and still build the system for $1150? No. You couldn't even build the system for $1150 including having to buy the office and that was a $40 PSU and stock cooling.

Amazing that you post a pic of a stock dell and some probably $3000 system and say, look, which one is better. OF course the fricken Mercedes looks better but we're not talking Mercedes money. For $1150, you couldn't build the system with Office included and that's getting parts from 6 different vendors. Is it the best system in the world? No. Have you even owned a Dell XPS system? Probably not. They are decent'y built ones
m
l
November 6, 2012 6:39:48 PM

I was using an example sure not everyone will put in a closed loop system like I did or the money I did which by the way was no where near 3 grand. Just by looking at the xps model you can tell that certain things are of lower quality. Even a 600-1000 dollar computer would look like a mercedes next to a xps like that.

Also, like I also said if someone has more of a technical aptitude building may be a better option considering most retailers tend to lock out huge chunks of the bios and it goes beyond someone overclocking there system ram timings graphic interfaces lots of little things.

I use a dell on a daily basis and its night and day difference using a custom built computer but to each his own.
m
l
November 6, 2012 7:05:04 PM

bigshootr8 said:
I was using an example sure not everyone will put in a closed loop system like I did or the money I did which by the way was no where near 3 grand. Just by looking at the xps model you can tell that certain things are of lower quality. Even a 600-1000 dollar computer would look like a mercedes next to a xps like that.

Also, like I also said if someone has more of a technical aptitude building may be a better option considering most retailers tend to lock out huge chunks of the bios and it goes beyond someone overclocking there system ram timings graphic interfaces lots of little things.

I use a dell on a daily basis and its night and day difference using a custom built computer but to each his own.

Ya, I don't like the locked out BIOS aspect, but for the less technically inclined, less it better and buying a pre-built system is better sometimes. I see 50 threads a day on here of people buying parts and it doesn't work. I doubt all of them are RMA problems and most probably come down to everyone watching a youtube video and think they can put together a PC. I've built hundreds of PC's for customers and about 6 months ago, I bent a pin on the socket just by brushing it by accident. I imagine lots of people screw them up and bend them. Sometimes prebuilt is better for some.
m
l
November 6, 2012 7:08:52 PM

I agree with you there is no definite solution for everyone.
m
l
!