Stupid question???

Mrtechdiff

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
I'm building my first home built gaming P.C. so i'm new to this. my question is can i use Linux for my operating system and how? i understand that when you use windows, you use a disk and it that's how to set it up. but how would i set up Linux on a brand new system? Or if i have to get windows. is there like a 1 year free trial or something like for windows? my point is i'm on a budget and don't want to buy windows right away.

Also i found a website that im not sure is legit because the prices are so low?
http://www.365professionals.com/store/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=10

thanks

butremor

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Basically, you need to download linux installation and burn it to cd-r or dvd-r disc. Other option is to use USB flash. Then, on your new pc, assuming you have BIOS installed, you open bios set up and set first boot device to be cd/dvd-rom. When your pc turns on it requests information from cd/dvd-rom about if there is any discs with OS burned on them in rom. Then you press any key and OS starts setting up on your hdd.

It works same way for any disks with OS, not only windows.

Mrtechdiff

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

thanks dude, this really helped!

Hmm, if that company is legit those sure are great prices.

As far as installation goes, you basically need to pick a Linux distro. The most popular is Ubuntu. Go to their website and download an ISO (typically around 600-700mb) burn that to a CD. When you get your computer built, use that CD same as you would use a windows installation CD.

If you pick a distro that is different than ubuntu, you will have to read the instructions carefully as some linux will just load the OS from the CD and you'll have to find a command that would actually install it on the hard drive.