1000$ first build

nfswaa

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Hello,

I want to build a computer for the first time, specially in gaming. I have picked out the parts that I want. I will be generally playing Heroes of Newerth, DotA 2 and CS GO. Is there any improvement I can make to this build but stay in the 1000$ range? Thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mDby

Quick edit: I'm also choosing between the gigabyte radeon 7950 and the MSI Geforce GTX 660 ti.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n660tipe2gd5oc
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr795wf33gd

Any recommend between the 2?

Solution

yea the full tower cases are huge ( except the cougar evolution) the 500r is a nearly perfect case it has a nice size , good airflow , a fairly enough space for cable management it has 3 pre mounted fans which means that you will not spending money on extra fans , so yeah if you like it stick with it.

nfswaa

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Thanks for helping!

Can you elaborate on how the 7950 is better than the gtx 660ti? Sorry I'm pretty new to this and I want to consider my choices before buying!

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
well i have 3 other notices about your parts
first : change the the aftermarket cooler with the hyper 212 EVO its 3 bucks more.
second : if you want a lot better overclock performance get the Z77X-D3H mobo.
third : this psu will make you cry because of its noise.

nfswaa

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Thanks for helping out!

I have changed the cooler, decided to stick with the Z77 since i won't go real hard on overclocking, at least not right now. I changed the PSU to something somewhat silencer. Is it better now in your opinion?

I also choose the MSI GTX 660ti because I want to use this computer later on for dual monitoring, and as I researched 660ti has 2 DVI, while 7950 has only 1. I won't play real hardcore games like Crysis, BF 3 will probably the most hardcore game I throw at it, and I think 660ti can do fine with it.

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

in gaming he will never use more than 4 gigs of ram NEVER ( most recommended spec for new games recommend 3 gigs of ram )
i would spent this 40$ on a high end case or nice fans or full modular quality psu.

Twittly

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Yes, I know he may never use more than 4GB in gaming, but it is still a nice option to have available. Me personally, enjoy having the bonus of 16GB as I do a lot of multitasking and some gaming.

But as I reread the OP, I noticed how he wants to keep the costs down, so it is ok that he is buying 2x4GB sticks as he can buy more in the future if needed.

Twittly

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Hey! I noticed you were buying a Mid-Tower Case. This is ok, and the case looks nice for its price, but never go too small on the case.

When I built my first computer, I went with a Mid-Tower as well. I quickly noticed that it was very cramped after I had finished building the computer. About a month later, I was asked to build a computer for someone, so that time, I bought a Full-Tower, and what a difference! I was so jealous that I swapped my internals to that bigger shell and built the other computer into the smaller one. :)

If you need a small case because the location of the computer will not allow a Full-Tower, you can stay on course with your current one. If not, I would recommend you pay a bit more money and get a Full-Tower. I am very glad I upgraded to a full one.

If you are wondering which case I am currently using, (And recommend to you), it can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133191

nfswaa

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Thanks for answering!

I'm just wondering if the full tower is actually a lot bigger than a mid tower, since I'm probably moving the computer around alot, like at frequent as once every month. I watched some videos on the 500R and I think that it won't be really problematic to move!

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

yea the full tower cases are huge ( except the cougar evolution) the 500r is a nearly perfect case it has a nice size , good airflow , a fairly enough space for cable management it has 3 pre mounted fans which means that you will not spending money on extra fans , so yeah if you like it stick with it.

Solution