Custom Built Laptop [1500~2000€]

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Laptops
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2012 4:46:46 PM

Hello all! Since my hobbies, namely painting and drawing, require me to move constantly and seek advice rapidly, I have come to the conclusion that it'd be best to get a laptop, instead of a new desk pc. But that is not the only use I'd wish for my new laptop: as a gamer I pretend it to be able to run all the latest, most demanding games. Moreover, it must be able to store a reasonably high quantity of files: something no less than 750 gb, I'd say. If I'm not pretending too much, I'd prefer a build capable of lasting a couple of years, as I am completely clumsy in the tech department, and having to constantly change parts would be a real challenge for me, if not for my wallet! Thus, what I am asking is durability, performance and capacity. I hope all of this is attainable for a laptop, otherwise I've been kind of a fool writing all of this! If possible, the laptop 's screen must be no less than 17 inches, 1920x1080 or 1200. I'd say I am willing to sacrifice other parts for the screen if the need arises. I live in Italy and the prices for prebuilt computers are something outrageous, leading me to the custom built route. I have no issues ordering parts from other countries, even overseas like the states, if that means paying less. Lastly, this might sound like an odd request, but I go crazy for red stuff, so if you know of any dark red covers/paints/motifs, that'd be the biggest plus for me. The budget is 1500~2000 eur, it should equal no more than 2200 dollars if I'm not mistaken. I hope this post has been exhaustive enough, this is my first time posting here so if I made some mistake, please point it out and don't be afraid to ask for further details.

More about : custom built laptop 1500 2000

a b D Laptop
November 5, 2012 5:06:45 PM

What you're asking for weighs in at roughly 10 pounds, more or less - if weight is one of the criteria, then getting it to weigh less is most likely not gonna happen.
Look at the Sager here... http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_br...
you can also customize to your hearts' content with dual GPU's- but I suggest you get a Single SSD, you can purchase your own 2TB HDD to include after
Related resources
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2012 5:19:06 PM

...stick with a Windows 7 machine...
November 5, 2012 5:25:36 PM

Damn, is red so rare to come by?
Anyways, thanks for the replies. Weight doesn't matter at all to me, so don't let that stop you.
Those computers seem great, a question though: as far as I know, prebuilts come often with overpriced parts, so wouldn't it be better to buy every part separately, and let a local expert assemble everything for me?
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2012 5:49:50 PM

It wouldn't be, because the market for retail laptop parts is very slim, so you'll have hard time finding the parts, besides the issue of getting better pricing on those parts. If you don't wish to believe, try googling and purchasing some parts online (something besides hard drives and ram)

On average, the overpricing is about $200-400 for non Apple laptops on the final price. Considering you're getting a $2k machine, 200 here or there doesn't make that much of a difference.
November 5, 2012 6:28:21 PM

Thomas Creel said:
^$200 here or there definently matters o:, even if your build is $2000.

check this out: http://computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-lapto...

many thanks, that link tells exactly what I was trying to say.
While it's true that 200 is not that much more for a 2k build, money is money and if there are means to save some, that'd be excellent.
I admit I am totally ignorant about laptop parts, so if someone has any advice it may be a good idea starting from the motherboard, no?
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2012 9:02:46 PM

if you got $2k to splurge on a laptop, you cannot tell me that you're scrooge for 200 difference.

But hey, if you got the time to waste rather than make those $200 bucks back at work, sure why not. Best of luck to ya, let me know when you finish/give up.
November 5, 2012 9:34:06 PM

That was not very helpful, antizig... Rather than telling me to give up, wouldn't it be better if you directed me to some quality shopping site for laptop parts? I understand your point that those are hard to come by, but that doesn't mean no such thing exists. I said I am willing to buy stuff overseas if that's needed. If I wanted a prebuilt overpriced laptop, it'd take me as much as a few miles to find a local store. Just trying to get a top class laptop here, but without getting ripped off by brands...
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2012 11:07:58 PM

going the route of building your own laptop is Not going to save you any money (Especially if you're paying for over-seas shipping)- on top of the fact that you will Not be able to source the same parts as a company like Sager can put together. The hardest part to find is the chassis and main board which are normally only sold to OEM's. Forget about building your own laptop... and stick with a company that offers a great warranty on something they sell as a full system, like the one I gave you the link to.
November 5, 2012 11:35:02 PM

dingo07 said:
going the route of building your own laptop is Not going to save you any money (Especially if you're paying for over-seas shipping)- on top of the fact that you will Not be able to source the same parts as a company like Sager can put together. The hardest part to find is the chassis and main board which are normally only sold to OEM's. Forget about building your own laptop... and stick with a company that offers a great warranty on something they sell as a full system, like the one I gave you the link to.

alright, you've been very clear, thank you. But what about barebones? from what I 've read they seem the closest alternative to what I was asking. Are there any benefits?
November 5, 2012 11:57:39 PM

You know what I would recommend? A maingear laptop.
November 6, 2012 12:11:28 AM

This 17 inch laptop - http://www.maingear.com/custom/notebooks/nomad17/custom... Select the "Better" option.

Chassis: Nomad 17 Performance Chassis with sound by DynAudio (Stereo sound with subwoofer) and backlit keyboard

Exterior Finish: Rosso Scuderia

Display: 17.3" FullHD 16:9 LED Display (1080p) matte screen

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3740QM 2.7GHz/3.7GHz Turbo 6MB L3 Cache HD 4000 [45W]

Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 675M 2.0GB GDDR5

Memory: 8GB Corsair® Vengeance™ DDR3-1600 1.5V (2x4GB, SODIMMs)

Hard Drive Bay One: 750GB Western Digital 7200 RPM SATA 2.5"

Memory Card Reader: All-in-One Integrated USB 2.0 Flash Card Reader & Writer

Optical Drive One: 8X DVD Dual Layer Burner

Ethernet Adapter: On-board Gigabit Ethernet

Wireless Network Adapter: Intel® Centrino™ N 2200 802.11n + Bluetooth

Audio: Integrated High Definition Audio

Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth Technology Module

Web Cam: Integrated 2.0MP Webcam

Primary Battery: 7800mAh 9-cell Li-Polymer removeable battery pack

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Angelic Service Warranty: Lifetime Angelic Service Labor and Phone Support with 1 Year Comprehensive Warranty

November 6, 2012 12:21:14 AM

I've looked it up, it's not bad, but not as customizable as the one dingo07 posted earlier. Also by chance today in my search I stumbled upon a site, RJTech, that specializes on barebones. I just noticed the model I was looking up on that site is the same as the one he linked, apart from some minor unimportant variation. Anyways, here's the link if he wants to compare: http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view...
the prices are very similar, I think I'll follow dingo07's advice and buy this model, if someone can help me a bit choosing the best components.
a b D Laptop
November 6, 2012 2:28:22 AM

The best components of the Sager put the cost above your limit. You'll have to choose wisely which components to include.

------

I managed to configure one that cost $2399 with ground shipping

Display 17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 670MX GPU with 3GB GDDR5 Video Memory in SLI Mode [$200.00]
CPU Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.70GHz) [$170.00]
Thermal Compound Stock Standard Thermal Compound
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Professional 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded ) [$60.00]
Instant Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Offer with Windows 7 Purchase No Thanks, I will not be upgrading to Windows 8 Pro Via Microsoft
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
RAID Storage Options Non-RAID Storage
Primary Hard Disk Drive 240GB Intel 520 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive [$215.00]
mSATA SSD Drive   —   For Intel Smart Response Technology None
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software [$55.00]
Wireless Network Card Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 802.11 A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Module [$50.00]
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
Calculate Shipping & Tax
  Next Day Air ($183.79)
  2nd Day Air ($128.03)
  3-Day Select ($90.26)
  Ground ($0.00)
November 6, 2012 10:07:05 AM

Hello again, thanks for posting it up!
I had no idea what the msata ssd was and if I had to get that instead of a regular ssd...
About the graphics card... is that 670m in sli better than one 7970m?
a b D Laptop
November 6, 2012 12:31:17 PM

OP, let me point something out for you:

Red7x said:
...buy stuff overseas.... ... overpriced ...
Those go hand in hand, but you tried to use them in separate sentences, very strange.

I'm not sure, who are you trying to trick here besides yourself or whether you just don't have a very good grasp on reality of things. I'm trying to help by giving you the advice that I've given many times. And countless people other than me have given it too. If you chose to ignore it, don't blame me for disagreeing with your choice.

As far as picking a laptop, http://eurocom.com/ EUROCOM P370EM Scorpius was rated very highly. Pick Sli 670MX and something like 120Gb SSD + 750Gb HDD (the case has 3 drive bays I think, so there's plenty of room to add another later). I believe all that should fit in 2k euros rather easily.
November 6, 2012 1:22:44 PM

AntiZig said:
OP, let me point something out for you:

Those go hand in hand, but you tried to use them in separate sentences, very strange.

I'm not sure, who are you trying to trick here besides yourself or whether you just don't have a very good grasp on reality of things. I'm trying to help by giving you the advice that I've given many times. And countless people other than me have given it too. If you chose to ignore it, don't blame me for disagreeing with your choice.

As far as picking a laptop, http://eurocom.com/ EUROCOM P370EM Scorpius was rated very highly. Pick Sli 670MX and something like 120Gb SSD + 750Gb HDD (the case has 3 drive bays I think, so there's plenty of room to add another later). I believe all that should fit in 2k euros rather easily.

Not really, it was more how your second post came off to me - I already admitted I am completely ignorant about laptops, so when another member linked me a blog about building my own laptop, I was really interested in it. About your post, I guess it's just a matter of how I personally perceived it, misunderstandings can often happen on the internet and I felt the comment about working instead of wasting time was a bit off. Anyways, you and dingo07 have given me great advice and I now have a more realistic view of this all, so I think I'll buy the model you showed me in the near future, possibly this week. Thanks alot
Lastly, a question about the hdd: can I just get the ssd and purchase a 2tb hdd separately? Do you know of any compatible one?
a b D Laptop
November 6, 2012 4:42:44 PM

RE: drives... any 2.5" drive will fit, SSD or HDD, and Yes you can purchase the HDD seperately, which is what I suggested because it will cost you less from an online retailer - Western Digital and Seagate are 2 manufacturers you can choose from, aside from others
November 6, 2012 7:03:23 PM

dingo07 said:
RE: drives... any 2.5" drive will fit, SSD or HDD, and Yes you can purchase the HDD seperately, which is what I suggested because it will cost you less from an online retailer - Western Digital and Seagate are 2 manufacturers you can choose from, aside from others

Okay got it. Should I pick the 2x 300w ac adapter or is one enough? What about cooling stuff? Do I need any?
!