Devildoc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Video card in standby mode

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MB : Asus P5Q Delux
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield LGA 775
Heatsink : Zal ZNPS9500
Vid : Sapphire 4870 (X2)

This rig's been up and running since 2008. Now, over past several months I've been getting a problem with the monitor going into standby mode and nothing gets it out except shutting down for a period of time. Then, rebooting, I can get into BIOS for a brief period before it quickly, and without warning, goes back into standby.

What I've seen is that the video card runs 3 little red lites on the bottom corner of the card, when the standby issue occurs. Research shows that these are status lites:

D1601 - Red LED On, shows critical temperature fault

D1602 - Red LED On, shows External power connector A was removed

D1603 - Red LED On, shows External power connector B was removed

D601 - Red LED On, shows critical Core power fault

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK
So far here's what I've done:
1) Reset cpu cooler
2) Reset BIOS
3) Changed out power source
4) Changed out vid card (took a friends card)
5) Switched out monitors
6) Used different cables
7) Check out power connections, reset them

Problem still continues. If left alone for a period of time, I can get it to boot. So I can get into BIOS, but only for about 20sec, at which time I get 3 red lites and monitor goes into power saving mode. Rebooting right away does no good. Won't get a green lite on my monitor, it has to cool down (??????).

It's not the monitor, or card or power. Is it mb? Same problem will happen if I switch to the black slot on the bottom of the board.

Is it CPU overheating? A month ago, reseating the cooler did seem to make it work. At least for a month. Fans all seem ok

Devildoc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
New psu, same prob
Different vid card, same prob

Read something about motherboard standoffs.....do they "short" out? Maybe I should strip the box out completely and "rebuild"? The way it's been a kind of an on again off again problem might suggest a short or something somewhere.

(sic)

Since you're changing parts out anyway, you might as well breadboard to eliminate any possible short issues, as you say.
If it's not the card or PSU, i'm pretty sure it's the motherboard. Can you try your card in a friend's PC to make sure?

Devildoc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

Took the card out from my computer (this is actually my daughter's box now....you know, trickle down economics) and put in her's with same result, will power down very quickly into this standby mode. It's not the card. It's not the monitor (I switched out with mine again), it's not the psu (put in a new one). I thought it was the cpu because monkeying with it seemed to solve it a month ago. Not now.

I just "breadboarded" the whole thing and put it back. Same result

I think maybe I'm going to have to try and find another LGA 775 board and try it out.

Suggestions?

Devildoc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

So sorry. No, I didn't do it that way. I put another card, from my own computer, into my daughter's box, and the same thing happens with the "new" card - so it seems to me that it cannot be the card.