Sign in with
Your question

Need a software for testing my 670GTX memory

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2012 2:22:31 PM

Hi,

I'm having random stutters, mouse hiccups during video playbacks, since it's not caused by overheat I guess it's bad VGA memory, is there any tool for testing VGA memory like memorytest 86+ for system ram?

system Specs:

CPU: i5 2500k
MB: Asus Z68V PRO
VGA: Gainward 670GTX reference
RAM: 2x8 GSKILL 2133
PSU: 900W Coolermaster Gold
SSD (OS win7 x64): Intel 330 120GB
HDD: WD Black 1TB

September 9, 2012 2:39:34 PM

Use MSI Kombuster leave the card at stock settings, if artifacts are discovered than you got a bad card. Lots of people having problems with the 670.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 4:26:28 PM

redeemer said:
Use MSI Kombuster leave the card at stock settings, if artifacts are discovered than you got a bad card. Lots of people having problems with the 670.

All anecdotal of course but why let facts get in the way.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
September 9, 2012 4:49:43 PM

LOL ya I have not heard any problems with mem :/  Fur Mark also if you are still looking for software options.

THent
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
September 9, 2012 5:01:01 PM

Mousemonkey said:
+1
m
l
September 9, 2012 5:06:42 PM

redeemer said:

no problem under any 3d stress test, lag and stutters only seen when I'm watching movies in all sort of video players (vlc, mpc hc, smplayer, etc)

if kombuster, furmark and other stress tests are indication of good VGA memory I guess it's not my VGA causing the problem.
m
l
September 9, 2012 5:18:38 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Guess you have not been forum hopping Check EVGA's forums tons of Red screens of death and just overal faulty cards. Google is your friend? Lots of bad batches still out there in the wild
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 5:26:10 PM

redeemer said:
Guess you have been forum hopping Check EVGA's forums tons of Red screens of death and just overal faulty cards. Google is your friend?

That's still just anecdotal, just like the GSOD issue was and until a reputable site publishes an article with solid numbers and such it will remain anecdotal.
m
l
September 9, 2012 5:32:23 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That's still just anecdotal, just like the GSOD issue was and until a reputable site publishes an article with solid numbers and such it will remain anecdotal.

Oh until then we can remain oblivous to users posts and experiences. You ever research a product before you buy? I mean looking at user reviews? Now I am not saying the the 670 in faulty in design but there is a higher chance of getting a faulty one. Your a MOD you have seen the threads in here tons of 670 problems.

http://www.evga.com/forums/search.aspx?searchid=699233&...

m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 5:33:27 PM

redeemer said:
Oh until then we can remain oblivous to users posts and experiences. You ever research a product before you buy? I mean looking at user reviews? Now I am not saying the the 670 in faulty in design but there is a higher chance of getting a faulty one.

http://www.evga.com/forums/search.aspx?searchid=699233&...

Do you believe in Aliens, are we the only ones in the Universe?? Oh sorry anecdotal, you would need government confimation :sarcastic: 

Your reaction is amusing (a bit childish perhaps but still amusing) considering the reaction I get when I comment on how ATi drivers are the buggiest bits of rubbish ever produced, just look for all the forum posts about them over the years! :lol: 
m
l
September 9, 2012 5:42:03 PM

Childishness edited ok. Drivers are another thing entirely its well known vrious sources that ATI were crap. All I am saying is that there are a lot of 670 problems out there on so many forums. That doesnt mean that there is a crysis out there possibly bad batches. Your right AMD cards 7970 7950 have there share of problems too. In my mind I do not need a editor or a reputable source, in this information age there are various ways to get what you need
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
September 9, 2012 5:46:54 PM

Are you trying to watch extremely high def movies off a USB drive or an old 5400 drive or off a drive you are downloading/seeding 50 torrents off of? Stuttering video can be simply the video can't load fast enough as well. Does it do on youtube on hidef videos? Does it do it on SD quality movies?
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 5:49:05 PM

redeemer said:
Childishness edited ok. Drivers are another thing entirely its well known vrious sources that ATI were crap. All I am saying is that there are a lot of 670 problems out there on so many forums. That doesnt mean that there is a crysis out there possibly bad batches. Your right AMD cards 7970 7950 have there share of problems too. In my mind I do not need a editor or a reputable source, in this information age there are various ways to get what you need

Well that's something everyone should bear in mind when reading any "advice" you give or "knowledge" that you attempt to impart. :heink: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
September 9, 2012 6:01:36 PM

I will say one thing though redeemer for somebody who owns 680's and you told me you like them or enjoy them i would of never believed you even had them if you didn't post the pic how i asked which i felt like a jerk after but it seems like your kinda sipping that red kool aid allot maybe i am wrong just seems like that
m
l
September 9, 2012 6:02:57 PM

getochkn said:
Are you trying to watch extremely high def movies off a USB drive or an old 5400 drive or off a drive you are downloading/seeding 50 torrents off of? Stuttering video can be simply the video can't load fast enough as well. Does it do on youtube on hidef videos? Does it do it on SD quality movies?

nope, nothing fancy, 720P over my external WD HDD and smart shows it's in a good health.

in my experience HDD lags doesn't produce mouse pointer or whole system hiccups, just frame drops or skipping.

anyway I will copy some movies to my SSD partition for testing.
m
l
September 9, 2012 6:08:09 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I will say one thing though redeemer for somebody who owns 680's and you told me you like them or enjoy them i would of never believed you even had them if you didn't post the pic how i asked which i felt like a jerk after but it seems like your kinda sipping that red kool aid allot maybe i am wrong just seems like that

So because I own Nvidia I must be loyal? I own both 680 and 7970 parts. I am not part of this fanboy war, I am a bad guy because I simply stated that I have seen a lot of 670 problem threads?

m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 6:13:55 PM

redeemer said:
So because I own Nvidia I must be loyal? I own both 680 and 7970 parts. I am not part of this fanboy war, I am a bad guy because I simply stated that I have seen a lot of 670 problem threads?

No one said you were a bad guy, I just pointed out that anecdotes are not evidence they're anecdotes and if I'm not allowed to cite anecdotes as evidence then I don't see why anyone should be allowed.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
September 9, 2012 6:29:34 PM

redeemer said:
No misunderstood me i guess but since you took it that way i apologize i just see you are ruff on nvidia and not amd neither are perfect anyway kinda getting off topic of OP thread so sorry to you to for kinda jacking your thread P.S. I have seen a ton of 7970 threads complaining about noise,heat,under preforming elect.
m
l
September 9, 2012 6:38:09 PM

Mousemonkey said:
No one said you were a bad guy, I just pointed out that anecdotes are not evidence they're anecdotes and if I'm not allowed to cite anecdotes as evidence then I don't see why anyone should be allowed.

You're abosolutely correct, yet I have the feeling if my statements about the 670 pro instead of con there wouldnt have been issues, in the future I will cite anecdotes only for concerns about a product since none are needed for pro based comments it appears . Sorry OP for taking your thread off topic, hope your problem get resolved do let us know!
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 6:38:39 PM

redeemer said:
You're abosolutely correct, yet I have the feeling if my statements about the 670 pro instead of con there wouldnt have been issues, in the future I will cite anecdotes only for concerns about a product since none are needed for pro based comments it appears . Sorry OP for taking your thread off topic, hope your problem get resolved do let us know!

That puts you right back to square one though, right where you are now in fact! :lol: 
m
l
September 9, 2012 7:14:29 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That puts you right back to square one though, right where you are now in fact! :lol: 

Whatever you say moderator
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 7:30:55 PM

redeemer said:
Whatever you say moderator

:pfff: 
m
l
September 9, 2012 8:45:18 PM

Mousemonkey said:
:pfff: 

I am not sure you know the meaning of "anecdotes" you do realize that there is some truth to it. You seem to have a lot of time on you hands so do I lol. Lets go back a little shall we..I stated that I have seen a lot of threads where posters are having issues with their 670. That is a fact that I have seen this and thats why I said it, whether I can back it up or not is irrelevant. For you to say I say that its an exaggeration and how I shouldnt state anecdotes is ridiculous.

m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 8:51:42 PM

redeemer said:
I am not sure you know the meaning of "anecdotes" you do realize that there is some truth to it. You seem to have a lot of time on you hands so do I lol. Lets go back a little shall we..I stated that I have seen a lot of threads where posters are having issues with their 670. That is a fact that I have seen this and thats why I said it, whether I can back it up or not is irrelevant. For you to say I say that its an exaggeration and how I shouldnt state anecdotes is ridiculous.

I know the the meaning of the word "anecdote" a lot better than you know how to spell. If anyone has a problem with concept and context it's yourself. As for what you have "seen", that counts for nothing if it cannot be verified by independent observers so being able to back up a statement is entirely relevant.
m
l
September 9, 2012 8:56:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I know the the meaning of the word "anecdote" a lot better than you know how to spell. If anyone has a problem with concept and context it's yourself. As for what you have "seen", that counts for nothing if it cannot be verified by independent observers so being able to back up a statement is entirely relevant.

Sorry for the spelling lol

Anecdotal evidence from Anecdotes correct? Why on earth would I need to prove that I have seen many problem related threads and post in regards to the 670?
m
l
September 9, 2012 9:34:24 PM

You know, just cuz you've seen threads stating there are problems doesn't mean that there is a high chance of having problems. Consider the fact that people with problems regarding their product are MUCH more likely to post on the forums asking about it. People satisfied with their purchase are less likely to post a thread. So sure, we can believe you've seen many threads with problems regarding the gtx 670, but that may just be due to the high volume of cards being sold. Consider that if 2 million were sold, and 1% had problems, and 10% of that 1% posted online, you would have 1000 people creating threads regarding issues with the card.

That's why, unless you have stats with a reliable source, your evidence is anecdotal.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
September 9, 2012 9:54:08 PM

It's basically not to be taken as anymore than blanket statements imo plus consider the fact half the time some noob tells another that you can oc that beast so high blah blah blah then the noob listening to this thinks to his self omg buying tomorrow get's the card breaks the card then cry about it there are so many possible reasons for threads like those i am willing to bet money half those threads are user related broke or small human errors like they forgot to plug the 6 pin in the psu in lol i am not kidding it happens believe it or not i don't care.Bottom line... if 670 had a big issue by now nobody would keep buying them.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 10, 2012 1:37:47 PM

theLiminator said:
You know, just cuz you've seen threads stating there are problems doesn't mean that there is a high chance of having problems. Consider the fact that people with problems regarding their product are MUCH more likely to post on the forums asking about it. People satisfied with their purchase are less likely to post a thread. So sure, we can believe you've seen many threads with problems regarding the gtx 670, but that may just be due to the high volume of cards being sold. Consider that if 2 million were sold, and 1% had problems, and 10% of that 1% posted online, you would have 1000 people creating threads regarding issues with the card.

That's why, unless you have stats with a reliable source, your evidence is anecdotal.

Thank you, it's nice to know someone is paying attention. :) 
m
l
September 16, 2012 9:16:58 PM

Thanks to DPC latency checker I managed to found out the problem caused by my faulty PCI-E wireless adapter (or maybe it's driver or PCI-E Bus?), creating random massive spikes during Direct3D assisted Video playback.

I really can't see the connection here, but the problem resolved by changing it with a USB wireless adapter.

now I'm a little more happy person and hopefully can live with loud fan noise, random memory clock throttling, Aero getting auto disabled from time to time and a few red screens of death and other nice new features of 670GTX.
m
l
!