Sign in with
Your question

New Rig

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2012 9:28:47 PM

Hey there, need help on deciding on some of the components. It will use it for gaming and web design (including photoshop) so far I've looked at the Intel i73930k paired with the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, I like some of the ASRock motherboards as well. For memory I'm thinking I wont need any more than 16 GB at 1600Mhz, I really liked the dominator GT from Corsair. And for a video card I wanted to go with the GeForce GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper, I haven't thought about the other components yet, I've been looking into this for about 2 days, and I thought the easiest way to start would be by asking :p  Any suggestions on the RAM manufacturer? A good motherboard? Is the i7 2930k worth it? Since the motherboard supports SLI should I go for that? Maybe I'll save more on the processor and use the money on a GPU, so many questions... Please help :) 

More about : rig

November 4, 2012 9:34:29 PM

What resolution and what settings will you be playing your video games? The GTX 680 is quite a powerful video card, think it may be an overkill for gaming at low resolutions.
m
l
November 4, 2012 9:46:59 PM

If you're doing heavy photoshop and video editing then it's a good start, if not you should look to lga1155.

You can pickup a i7-3770K, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO and 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz for abou the same price as a i7-3930K. I would also take look at the GTX670, it's roughly £100 cheaper and nearly the same performance as the GTX680.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2012 3:57:00 AM

Ive looked into them, for the price of the i7-3770K am I not better off buying the i7 3820? I mean the system around it will cost more but it would be an easy upgrade to Ivy Bridge E, but if I go for the i7-2770K will it do rendering properly? I do a bit of that as well. Not too concerned on the 3D part, the GTX 670 is what I would like but how would I integrate that into a liquid cooling loop?
m
l
November 5, 2012 4:13:46 AM

The i7 3770 will render properly, you have no worries there. As for the value in an X79 platform now over the i7-3770k? That would ultimately depend on how much expansion you need and the type of work you do.

If you're doing Photoshop the majority of the time, I would advise picking up the i7-3820 on the X79 platform due to the numerous workstation features that would come in handy for you in the future. I'm also thinking of the possibilities of a RAM-Disk for you to use as a scratch dish :) 

As for gaming, a GTX670 will work wonders for anything up to 1080p. For anything higher than 1080p gaming, I would advise looking at the Radeon HD7970 or the GTX680.

You can purchase a GTX670 waterblock very easily from any custom-water cooling websites such as Frozen CPU and the like. However, I do admit, the small PCB on the 670 makes it look pathetic in a monster water cooling rig; just for aesthetics, I would highly recommend the GTX680 (but that's only if you're anal like me :lol:  ).

I'll end this post off by saying a few things about the two platforms.

Z77/LGA1155. I consider this socket dead now for a few reasons.

1) No more CPU's coming out on this socket with the launch of Haswell next year on LGA1150. This will render LGA1155 'obsolete'.

2) Limited upgrade capabilities with this socket due to, again, the limited upgrade capability if you purchase the i7 3770k. This will be the top-of-the-line CPU from now on.

X79 will give you much more options for upgrades in the future. There will be some more CPU's coming out next year with Ivy Bridge-E. The fact that there are 8 RAM DIMMs will give you more expansion capabilities with the option for a RAM-Disk like I mentioned earlier.
m
l
November 5, 2012 4:17:06 AM

socialfox said:
What resolution and what settings will you be playing your video games? The GTX 680 is quite a powerful video card, think it may be an overkill for gaming at low resolutions.

I was planning on using two monitors at 1920x1080 resolution.
m
l
November 5, 2012 4:48:29 AM

mocchan said:
The i7 3770 will render properly, you have no worries there. As for the value in an X79 platform now over the i7-3770k? That would ultimately depend on how much expansion you need and the type of work you do.

If you're doing Photoshop the majority of the time, I would advise picking up the i7-3820 on the X79 platform due to the numerous workstation features that would come in handy for you in the future. I'm also thinking of the possibilities of a RAM-Disk for you to use as a scratch dish :) 

As for gaming, a GTX670 will work wonders for anything up to 1080p. For anything higher than 1080p gaming, I would advise looking at the Radeon HD7970 or the GTX680.

You can purchase a GTX670 waterblock very easily from any custom-water cooling websites such as Frozen CPU and the like. However, I do admit, the small PCB on the 670 makes it look pathetic in a monster water cooling rig; just for aesthetics, I would highly recommend the GTX680 (but that's only if you're anal like me :lol:  ).

I'll end this post off by saying a few things about the two platforms.

Z77/LGA1155. I consider this socket dead now for a few reasons.

1) No more CPU's coming out on this socket with the launch of Haswell next year on LGA1150. This will render LGA1155 'obsolete'.

2) Limited upgrade capabilities with this socket due to, again, the limited upgrade capability if you purchase the i7 3770k. This will be the top-of-the-line CPU from now on.

X79 will give you much more options for upgrades in the future. There will be some more CPU's coming out next year with Ivy Bridge-E. The fact that there are 8 RAM DIMMs will give you more expansion capabilities with the option for a RAM-Disk like I mentioned earlier.

I'm not very familiar with RAM Disks, what do those do? Also so you're saying I should go for the X79platform, and if so, is the i7 3930k worth it? I read that it did pretty well in tests on web design against the i7 3770k, but when they ran games on them they both performed the same.
m
l
November 5, 2012 4:56:00 AM

RAM Disks are essentially a RAM-based storage drive. They're a means of VERY fast temporary storage...numbers usually range in the 8-9 GigaBYTES per second. Yes, GigaBYTES, not GigaBITS :lol:  Most people doing lots of Photo/Video editing invest in a RAM-Disk for a very fast scratch disk :) 

And yes, I am saying that X79 is a better investment over the Z77/i7 3770k platform. However, this does not mean I am recommending the i7 3930k. If benchmarks/reviews state that the i7 3930k perform on-par with the i7 3770k for the things you wish to do, then I would say to purchase the i7-3820. The i7 3820 is basically an i7 2600k with a different socket. If you look at comparisons of the 2600k vs 3770k, you'll get a VERY clear idea of how the 3820 and 3770k stack up against each other :) 

For gaming, ANY i7 on the market are equivalent to an i5 as games don't utilise Hyperthreading. Yes, this means that an i7 3960X is the same as an i5 2500k for gaming purposes (give or take a few %, but that's hardly noticeable).

m
l
November 5, 2012 5:06:10 AM

Hmm RAM Disks sound tempting, I mean 8-9 Gigabytes per second is not something you say no to easily XD. What would be a good RAM Disk manufacturer? Does this mean I don't need RAM modules anymore? I think I will go for the i7 3820, but its not fully unlocked, will I have trouble with overclocking? I dont have that much experience in OC. And what about SLI? maybe two cheaper graphics cards. Will videogames be using hyper0threading in the near future? Sorry for all the questions :p 
m
l
November 5, 2012 5:12:42 AM

Here's a RAM Disk software. All you need is some extra RAM (best to purchase more than you'll need for RAM Disk purposes) and a software license for a true RAM Disk experience with more than 2GB of space. http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/softwar...

As for overclocking the i7 3820, here's another link - http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

With Sandy Bridge-E, you can tinker with the base clock; but in intervals stated in this article. This is how you'll overclock the i7-3820 :)  Keep in mind with Base Clock increases, your RAM speed will increase as well, so be sure to set your RAM speeds to a reasonable clock speed. Very easy process! Just do some research before you get started, though :) 

As for SLI, no, buying two cheaper GPU's does not equal a better gaming experience over 1 bigger, beefier GPU. You will get more performance, however, there are some issues with multi-GPU configurations that can't be avoided. Some of them include Scaling issues, Stuttering issues, and countless more. I would just stick with a GTX670/680 for the time being :) 

Games in the future may utilise Hyperthreading, however, as of now, games still only fully utilise around 2-3 Cores (with the exception of a few).

You don't have to worry about questions ;)  That's what we're here for!
m
l
November 5, 2012 5:46:20 AM

Alright thanks :)  I will stick wit what you said, I'm still a bit confused on RAM Disk tho, do I use normal RAM modules? Also what motherboard would you suggest, in my watercooling loop the color of the liquid will be red :p  I know it sounds superficial but hey :)  It would look good :D  Also will the GTX 680 be enough if I'm going to use 2 monitors? Andwhat is a good reliable company for water cooling?
m
l
November 5, 2012 5:48:26 PM

Yes, you can use normal RAM modules. You create a RAM Disk through software that allows you to allocate some of your RAM into a storage disk. Thus, RAM Disk :lol: 

There are some really wicked Gigabyte boards that are all black if I remember correctly, so they would go GREAT with almost any color scheme you come up with. Though, if you MUST have red on your motherboard, I would suggest looking at the ASUS ROG motherboards as they're all red+black :) 

Also, I would urge you to look at the watercooling sticky on the overclocking forum. There's a huge watercooling community right here on Tom's so I'm sure you'll get everything sorted within a few days :) 

Lastly, a GTX680 is more than enough for two monitors. I'm assuming you'll be playing a game on one monitor while using the other as an auxiliary. GTX680 is even overkill for this purpose, however, like I said earlier, if you're anal like me and want a decent looking loop, I personally think the 680 is the way to do due to the full length PCB :lol: 
m
l
November 5, 2012 6:08:12 PM

Thanks a lot! And what RAM modules would you suggest? I like the X79 UD3, however I've seen a lot of rumours that the Gigabyte motherboards have a tendency to malfunction, or to be unreliable, is that true? And also I'll go check out the watercooling sticky now
m
l
November 5, 2012 6:32:29 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!