Can't connect, while other PC connects

Pertaa

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Hi, I am trying to connect my laptop by simply taking the cable from the desktop and plugging it in. Initially it wouldn't even connect, so I checked the settings of the desktop where it works perfectly fine and discovered that it had a manually configured IP and DNS, so I just copied them on the laptop. It connected this time, but still could not actually access any websites. What should I do? Both computers use Windows XP, but seems like they have different internet devices inside. There is no modem in the house, just the cable, I think (not my home).

sturm

Splendid
If your not using a router, which it sounds like your not, you need to power cycle the modem when you change computers. Modems have a bad habit of remember the previous computer and won't reset until the power is cycled.

Pertaa

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

However, there is no modem in the house. Is there anything else I can do?

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
How are you getting internet with no modem? Are you plugging into some sort of wall jack where the original signal comes from?

Because the above is exactly correct, some modems just have a problem when you switch cords back and forth and need to be unplugged, wait 30 seconds, then plugged back in.

Only other thing i could think of is does your internet service actually require the static IP address and DSN to work? If not you could try setting them both up DHCP (automatic) and see if that works better.