Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can geforce 9800gt be installed with my pc?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2012 3:39:06 PM

(i have to retype cuz my mouse accidently click on other thing and when i push the backspace, its page back. d**n)
I have a PSU, Tatu TronMonxter model: Ultimate Power 600. it has 600W max, 20+4 pin atx power connector (i use modern mb so i use 24-pn combined), 1 6-pin power connector, another 3 4-pin power connector (one used for graphic card by 4-pin socket located at motherboard), 4 sata connector (2 have been used), 2 ide power connector (used all of it) and 2 small 4-pin power connector (hope you know that). my psu is rare so i tell more detail. in column Orange, below is +3.3V and below is 24A. in column Red, below is +5V, followere by 23A. column Yellow, below is +12V and below is 18A. in column Blue, below is -12V and below is 0.8A. column White, below is -5V and below is 0.5A. finally in colume Purple below is +5VBS and below is 2.0A. frequency for input is 47-63Hz, AC 240V wih 8A.

my system, currently is ASRock N68C-GS FX with AMD Sempron 140 overclocked to 3.48 GHz (which consumes less than 50W with 1.475V in CPU-Z. overclock with bios). ram is Kingmax 2GB DDR2-800 (overclock to 860MHz and timing is 5-5-5-12 with default volt). have 2 sata hdd and 2 ide dvd driver (one of it is dvd burner with dual-layer support). my graphic card if necessary, its ATI Radeon HD4350 overclocked to 650MHz for GPU, 475MHz for memory clock (which somehow my graphic limit my memory clock not over 480MHz while for the others can overclock to x>500MHz. weird) additional devices that uses my pc power by usb is USB table fan (dont know the wattage usage.)
in internet psu calculator, based on my curent system, it says my recommended power supply is 450W. ouh. my pc does not have any additional fan (and i dont need it cuz mu pc case is always open).

based on my system, can i upgrade my graphic card to NVidia GeForce 9800 GT? in future, i might upgrading my CPU to atleast a dual-core one like AMD Athlon II X2 260. but maybe AMD FX-4100.

the 9800 gt should be possible to be installed to my pc right?
please give me any advice related.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
September 9, 2012 4:07:00 PM

Very likely, yes.

For future reference you have far too much info here, and it would be easier in point form.

A graphics card REQUIRES:
1) a PCIE_e slot on the motherboard that is compatible (x8 or x16)
2) sufficient power (and the proper x6 and/or x8 connector from the PSU to card)

The graphics card requires sufficient power specifically from the +12V rail or combined rails which you appear to have enough of.

Other:
- the 9800GT is a pretty old card so I assume you're getting it for free or not much money?
- you say you might "upgrade" in the future to an FX-4100. That may be an upgrade but it's still not a high-end CPU.

It sounds like you're trying to make your PC a bit better for gaming. Be advised that your system is pretty low-end. If you intend to "upgrade" in the future I strongly recommend you build a completely new PC.

If you do some research you can put together a half-decent gaming PC for $800. It's all about a balance of the parts. The graphics card is often the bottleneck but the CPU can be too if it's too low-end.
September 10, 2012 6:17:08 AM

Thanks for your opinion. Actally, i tend to upgrade slowly or one by one. Im still a mid-school student. i just need a greater graphic but affordable for me. Usually, i tend to upgrade only if one of my pc part is corrupted (last repair was the motherboard and the power supply due to insufficient of the supply).

My only opinion is to play NFS Shift 2 (which uses a lot of resources) at least about ^30fps.

actually, i prefer ATI Radeon rather than NVidia GeForce. but since i founded out the cheapest second-handed, i want to brought that. but i need to make sure that my pc is sufficient enough power. Can say Im a budget gamer...

For more info, when i play NFS Shift 2 in 1280x720 at lowest setting, not the fps is below 20 but the gaming responce is quite slow like 1/2 a sec. maybe this causes from the graphic card or the cpu?

My motherboard capable of unlocking cores from AMD, so i intend too keep that.

Also, i want to ovefclock my CPU till its highest limit. The MB manual says i can overclock my stock Sempron 140 till 4.1GHz. but i cannot pass beyond 3.48GHz. why is this possible?
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2012 1:48:05 AM

Best answer selected by Ikmalhidayat.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 13, 2012 1:54:11 AM

Ikmalhidayat said:
Thanks for your opinion. Actally, i tend to upgrade slowly or one by one. Im still a mid-school student. i just need a greater graphic but affordable for me. Usually, i tend to upgrade only if one of my pc part is corrupted (last repair was the motherboard and the power supply due to insufficient of the supply).

My only opinion is to play NFS Shift 2 (which uses a lot of resources) at least about ^30fps.

actually, i prefer ATI Radeon rather than NVidia GeForce. but since i founded out the cheapest second-handed, i want to brought that. but i need to make sure that my pc is sufficient enough power. Can say Im a budget gamer...

For more info, when i play NFS Shift 2 in 1280x720 at lowest setting, not the fps is below 20 but the gaming responce is quite slow like 1/2 a sec. maybe this causes from the graphic card or the cpu?

My motherboard capable of unlocking cores from AMD, so i intend too keep that.

Also, i want to ovefclock my CPU till its highest limit. The MB manual says i can overclock my stock Sempron 140 till 4.1GHz. but i cannot pass beyond 3.48GHz. why is this possible?

Hi:
1) Your CPU is probably the bottleneck for NFS. (racing games need at least 30FPS and a game controller, not a keyboard)

2) Overclocking the CPU to 4.1GHz requires a much better CPU HEATSINK than you likely have. For example, I have a Noctua NH-D14 that cost $80.

3) FYI, there are some fun games, like Torchlight 2 or Left for Dead 1/2 that might run okay on your system. Torchlight 2 costs $20 and there's a free DEMO so you can see how it runs.

4) Make sure you have the latest NVIDIA drivers from www.nvidia.com as well as the latest motherboard CHIPSET driver and motherboard BIOS.
m
l
!