Closed

Can I upgrade this computer?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2012 4:00:15 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and I had a question. I'm thinking about buying an Acer Aspire desktop (you can find the detailed specs http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/DT.SJQAA.002 ). However, I would like to be able to upgrade it in the future if I were to buy it. Mostly the GPU (as it only has integrated graphics as far as I can tell). My question is: would it be possible to add a GPU, and if so, what GPU would you recommend? I prefer Nvidia, but I am willing to look into other options. I don't do intense gaming like BF3, but I occasionally play some games. I'm most interested in getting a GPU with CUDA or OpenCL support so I can begin parallel programming (this is why I would prefer Nvidia). My price range is probably 50-150 US dollars (might go a little bit more if you think it is worth it). If you need any more information, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks!

More about : upgrade computer

a c 104 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 4:35:29 PM

Hi.
Link doesn't work correct.
Score
September 9, 2012 7:24:58 PM

Very sorry. I don't know why it did that. I fixed it though! :) 
Score
Related resources

Best solution

September 9, 2012 7:31:04 PM

It looks like it would be upgradeable, however the website does not give power supply details. Generally these pre build systems come with the lowest wattage power supply the machine can use as to cut costs, which is good and bad. Dedicated graphics cards are very power hungry! IF you can tell us the wattage rating of the power supply once you've gotten the machine we can tell you what you need to do next. Best of luck!

Of course when I reread the page I find the power supply rating! It is only a 300watt power supply though so you'd have to upgrade the power supply if you wanted to get a new graphics card! Hope that helps you.
September 9, 2012 7:35:47 PM

eggbrook said:
It looks like it would be upgradeable, however the website does not give power supply details. Generally these pre build systems come with the lowest wattage power supply the machine can use as to cut costs, which is good and bad. Dedicated graphics cards are very power hungry! IF you can tell us the wattage rating of the power supply once you've gotten the machine we can tell you what you need to do next. Best of luck!

On the website it says 300 Watts as the maximum... doesn't sound promising...
Score
September 9, 2012 7:38:50 PM

Best answer selected by QuantumCD.
Score
September 9, 2012 7:40:26 PM

eggbrook said:

Of course when I reread the page I find the power supply rating! It is only a 300watt power supply though so you'd have to upgrade the power supply if you wanted to get a new graphics card! Hope that helps you.

Okay. Thanks for the help. Are Intel HD Graphics 3rd generation good enough for the majority of graphics needs? I will be using the CPU more than the GPU, to be honest.
Score
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 7:40:30 PM

You can run a 6670 or better a 7750 with that psu.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 7:54:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!