Sign in with
Your question

8800gtx flicker and/or BSOD nlddmkm.sys

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2012 6:44:42 PM

Hi, I hope someone can help.

Yesterday i started having problems with my 8800gtx . It has been running fine. I was getting a script dragon error with Skyrim (steam) so i searched around and found the recommended patch to fix it (ScriptDragon_1.7.7.0.zip
http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/Files/tes/ScriptDrago...). I then started getting BSOD nlddmkm.sys when running 3d applications. i have un-installed Skyrim and run antivirus (AVG) to see if it's the cause but found nothing. I have also switched backwards and forwards with the GPU driver versions with varying effects (Windows update driver I get black icon drag on the desktop as well as BSOD in 3d apps). I'm now on the latest BETA (3.06.02). BSOD has gone but programs still flickr and crash soon after starting. example: Orcs must die i can get maybe 5 minutes of play, Bioshock 2 i got about a third of that. I reinstalled Skyrim and can't even get to the main menu before being kicked. GPU temps are good. No different from before i had the problem. Idles at 59. Not sure about load.

Case: Haf X
Mobo: ASUS sabertooth 990 FX rev 1.xx
BIOS: Ver: 08.00.10 (I find 0901 elsewhere in system)
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM 1600Mhz Red Vengeance (2*4GB)
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (single card)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.602
PSU 450watt

My main concern is that it's cooked and i need a new GPU. the rest of the rig is pretty much brand new (< 6 months). I might try reapplying the thermal paste, But would really appreciate some advice first.
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 7:37:56 PM

Hi, Did you try uninstall and re-install graphic driver? Also try with gpu stress test, like furmark to check gpu fault.
September 9, 2012 8:05:32 PM

mubin said:
Hi, Did you try uninstall and re-install graphic driver? Also try with gpu stress test, like furmark to check gpu fault.

Thank you for your reply Mubin. I have tried 3 driver versions (1 old, the current baseline [301.42] and the latest beta [3.06.02, current]) and i have uninstalled each time. I just stress tested with OCCT (on Direct x 10) and get a max of 84c with a shader complexity of 1. However! if i change it to complexity 3 i got BSOD at only 74 degrees after 1-2 seconds. I'm totally confused.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 8:12:10 PM

Looks like a faulty gpu. How long you run the stress test for?
September 9, 2012 8:23:41 PM

mubin said:
Looks like a faulty gpu. How long you run the stress test for?

On the simple setting only 10 minutes or so once the temp stabilised at 83/84 i stopped. But on the more complex setting it crashed so only a few seconds. I might run it for 1 hour later. but it seems that it is the shader complexity that causes the crash. Not the temp. May be it is dead, NOOOOOOOOO. Time to upgrade I guess. Maybe i'll get the 560 Ti on payday. £140 I wasn't planning on spending though!
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 8:31:25 PM

560ti is a good one. Try to get it.
!