• Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2012 7:09:24 PM

GTX 580
I7 960 @ Stock 3.2GHZ
6GB RAM 1.6v
650W Corsair 80+ PSU

x1 1TB Caviar black (OS)
X1 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) - Fitted about 2 weeks ago.

Basically I've had my PC for about a year. And it has all run fine and never froze or anything like that. But recently on Battlefield 3 and CoD World at War I have been getting a problem, the same problem on both games.. I can play BF3 for about 10-30 Minutes and all of a sudden the screen will freeze and I will hear a Sound Loop "Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" And the only way to fix this is to reboot my PC by the switch. Same happens with CoD but that seems to last a bit longer.

I don't seem to freeze on games such as CS:S or DayZ/Guildwars 2. These seem to be fine. But the games above seem to have just started doing this.

I've tried updating my Realtek sound drivers.
I've tried turning my CPU setting to "Standard" instead of TURBO.
I've tried running an SFC.

I didn't try taking my new HDD out but I don't really think a new HDD can cause this, the game isn't even running from that drive. I'm starting to think my GPU has gone faulty or maybe my memory?

Any ideas guys?

More about : game freezes sound loop

a c 291 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 7:12:13 PM

I'd suggest testing your memory.

www.memtest.org
September 9, 2012 7:13:56 PM

It maybe from the Hard drive.. or if you recently updated ur GFX..
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 7:28:17 PM

Most of the time, it happen from a bad gpu. Try gpu stress test like furmark to check your gpu. In my case, stress test showed me nothing but i had to replace my gpu.

Try updating to new good nvidia driver. Best way is to check your gpu in another system if possible.
a c 123 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 8:18:20 PM

COD used to have something in it's control panel somewhere about online speak ( in game chat ) ......... don't know if the other game does or not. that may be the problem..... which can be disabled in that control panel )

if you are using on board audio or a sound card.. ?? go into the device manager and uninstall the high def HDMI audio. don't let windows reinstall it on boot up.........

or, uninstall the nvidia drivers. on boot up install the nvidia drivers but do a custom install. Only install the graphics driver and the phsx drivers. nothing else needs to be installed............ and i would NEVER install that stupid auto update thing nvidia includes.
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 8:27:20 PM

Its not for sound driver but the gpu(i am believing).
a c 123 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 8:31:49 PM

sound drivers will screw a lot of things up. that's what I believe is going on with him.
September 9, 2012 10:34:38 PM

I've tested my GPU temps and CPU temps in game and they are all fine. I've tried updating my NVIDIA Drivers but no luck. Any other ideas.
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 4:29:55 AM

Did you check your memory?
a c 123 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 7:51:23 AM

aydee said:
I've tested my GPU temps and CPU temps in game and they are all fine. I've tried updating my NVIDIA Drivers but no luck. Any other ideas.

did you carefully follow my suggestions above ?
September 10, 2012 3:33:28 PM

swifty_morgan said:
did you carefully follow my suggestions above ?

I've ran a memtest, and it passed.
I've just uninstalled NVIDIA HD Audio and it automatically re-installs when i re-boot my PC and I can't stop it. So I had to turn off windows "automatic driver installation" feature. It is now uninstalled and I'm gonna go test it again.
September 10, 2012 4:11:36 PM

Ok, update. I've played CoD World at War for about 20 minutes and it still crashes, so the problem definatley isn't because of that NVIDIA HD Audio driver or Update. And there is no fault with my memory... My GPU has gone faulty? Onboard sound faulty? CPU? PSU? Any idea guys?
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 4:54:56 PM

No, its not the on-board sound, its your gpu as i said before. Gpu die like this. My gpu died like this and i replace it. If your gpu has warranty, then rma it.

Before you do, you can check your gpu to your friends pc if you can.
September 12, 2012 7:52:12 PM

Update. Disabled on-board sound in BIOS. Was playing CoD for over an hour. Seems my sound is the fault. Any idea on what I should do now?
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 4:15:34 AM

Looks like swifty_morgan was right after all. Try update sound driver to new one. If not working then the sound chip is faulty.
a c 123 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 1:28:25 PM

if COD and everything else is fine i wouldn't touch anything. enjoy.
October 20, 2014 1:01:16 AM

Did your problem go away? Becouse i have the same issue.
!