Sign in with
Your question

My build

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2012 10:13:08 PM

Hello,
i am just wondering if this system that i ahve designed to build is ok? or is it overkill in some area's and underpowered in others?
intel i7 3770 3.4/3.9
-gigabyte GA-z77x-ud3H intell Z77/1155p/4xddr3/sata3/usb3/glan/dp/hdmi/DVI/Raid AT X MB
- G.Skill Ripjaws-X 16g (8g x 2)
- sandisk SSD Extreme 240g
-Hitachi 3.5" desktar 1tb sata3
gigabyte GV-n670WF2-2gd 2GB gtx 670oc
asus oem pce-n15 pci-e 300m wireless-n network card
-corsair tx650 /
lg blu ray writer
in a fractal design core 3000 mid tower without psu

More about : build

November 5, 2012 11:22:55 PM

Looks like a solid, well balanced rig. Good job.
m
l
November 5, 2012 11:29:09 PM

nice rig looks good.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2012 11:37:27 PM

How can anyone judge if its a good build when you havent mentioned what you use it for?

If its just gaming then get a 3570k processor

16 gig of RAM would be a waste of money since no game can even use 8 gig
m
l
November 5, 2012 11:56:50 PM

Outlander_04 said:
How can anyone judge if its a good build when you havent mentioned what you use it for?

If its just gaming then get a 3570k processor

16 gig of RAM would be a waste of money since no game can even use 8 gig

May I just begin by saying games are not your only priority in a system. More RAM always helps a system ( esp. with Windows ), as a system stores everything as "temp" in RAM - and while I would rather have 8gb's of 2400 instead of 16gb's of 1333, if clocks ( AND TIMINGS+VOLTAGE ) are the same, the 16 is NOT OVERKILL, as it helps regulate system resource usage and allocation.

OP, you did a fantastic job.

However, I do agree with Outlander on one point. OP, what are you using this system for? If not only gaming but also video transcoding/editing, then you picked a great build and keep all 16gb's of RAM.

I will add just one more point. Although coming from someone who uses a 60gb SSD as a boot drive, and a Seagate 640 as a storage - You really don't need 240gb's of SSD storage. If you wanted to go the 240gb route, I'd get a reliable brand ( Corsair ) and run two 120's in RAID 0. My point: If you wanted to save some money, just get a 120gb for a boot drive. It's PLENTY.

Anyone remember the days where we thought a 4mb floppy was heaven? :ange:  shows my age
m
l
November 7, 2012 4:22:53 AM

thanks very much for your responses guys, sorry i did not mention what i was using it for. while it will be mainly for gaming i will also use it for some video editing and data base work and i also seem to keep many applications open and switch between them while working. i will look into getting the corsair rather then the seagate. and yes i remeber the days with floppy's the old 5 and a quater inch floppy drives on my old 286 and even older to the apple 2e and even older the tape drive on the comodore 64. i had a game called blackhawk 18 mins to load, and then you had to be lucky for it to work.
m
l
November 7, 2012 10:34:01 PM

Smilky said:
thanks very much for your responses guys, sorry i did not mention what i was using it for. while it will be mainly for gaming i will also use it for some video editing and data base work and i also seem to keep many applications open and switch between them while working. i will look into getting the corsair rather then the seagate. and yes i remeber the days with floppy's the old 5 and a quater inch floppy drives on my old 286 and even older to the apple 2e and even older the tape drive on the comodore 64. i had a game called blackhawk 18 mins to load, and then you had to be lucky for it to work.

Those days were great, as you weren't trying to be pickpocketed every time you purchase a component like the way it is today. Anyway, with what you just mentioned as your main system uses, I personally believe you have a very well balanced and good rig.

Oh, and I didn't see a Seagate item in your build??? Did you mean the Sandisk SSD? I agree if that's your point. Corsair makes some of the best SSD's on the market.

Hope I helped!
m
l
!