Sign in with
Your question

Running two different graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2012 8:47:04 PM

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding graphics cards. I currently have an nvidia quadro 450 NVS that I need to use for work. I was wondering if it is possible to also install an ATI Radeon 5670 HD to use on the weekends when I want to play games. I was planning on just switching the monitor cables to play. If this won't work, what are my other options? Thanks.

More about : running graphics cards

September 9, 2012 9:19:44 PM

Or, since I am only running 3 monitors, would I be able to run all three on the radeon HD5670 video card? The quadro NVS has three HDMI inputs converted to DVI, but my ATI card only has a slot for HDMI, DVI, and VGA.
a c 236 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 9:23:48 PM

If you are on windows 7, then you can have multiple graphics cards.

At some point with a previous version of the os, you could have two graphics cards so long as they used the same graphics driver. In the case of a nvidia and amd card, it would not work.

Many monitors have several input options. You could attach your monitor to each card and select the appropriate option.
Or, there are some manual dvi switches available.

But... a 5670 is not a great gaming card by today's standards.

Perhaps the best option would be to buy a second monitor and run one off each card. Two monitors is one of the best productivity upgrades you can make. Gaming would be directed to the primary monitor.

I do not know what a quadro brings to the table for your work.
Would it be possible to consolidate everything int oone good card?
Related resources
September 9, 2012 9:30:05 PM

geofelt said:
If you are on windows 7, then you can have multiple graphics cards.

At some point with a previous version of the os, you could have two graphics cards so long as they used the same graphics driver. In the case of a nvidia and amd card, it would not work.

Many monitors have several input options. You could attach your monitor to each card and select the appropriate option.
Or, there are some manual dvi switches available.

But... a 5670 is not a great gaming card by today's standards.

Perhaps the best option would be to buy a second monitor and run one off each card. Two monitors is one of the best productivity upgrades you can make. Gaming would be directed to the primary monitor.

I do not know what a quadro brings to the table for your work.
Would it be possible to consolidate everything int oone good card?

I am a commodities trader and the quadro card is just what the company gave us. My charting software is on a completely different computer, but I just need the space for the market depth windows, and actually am looking to add a fourth monitor since space is getting tight.
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 9:31:43 PM

A 5670 is a bit weak, and if you're going to run games on three monitors with it, the performance will be Terrible, with a capital t.
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 9:43:12 PM

agb1223 said:
I am a commodities trader and the quadro card is just what the company gave us. My charting software is on a completely different computer, but I just need the space for the market depth windows, and actually am looking to add a fourth monitor since space is getting tight.

There's a good chance that your charting software will run just fine on the gaming card. Professional cards are only really necessary for CAD applications. Swap em over and try it out
September 9, 2012 10:36:47 PM

Well for now, given the situation I have laid out... It is in fact possible to install the ATI card, and attach one monitor to it when I would like to play games, correct?
a c 99 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 10:44:51 PM

Yes, You should set the gaming card as the primary display. then games should play with it automatically.

As other said, something better then 5670(The 7770 and 7750 are my recommendation for entry level now days) will be needed if you want to play at higher resolution with more details enabled.
a c 236 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 11:00:05 PM

Almost any graphics card I know of, even inexpensive ones has the ability to run two displays.
Usually, they come with one dvi output and one vga output, and may even supply a vga to dvi adapter.

You can install as many of these as you have motherboard slots to accomodate them.

If you are a trader, and want more display real estate, you could use 30" 2560 x 1600 monitors. They are expensive($1000), but each can hold the output of two 1080P monitors.

Some graphics cards have three outputs, but the use of all three at the same time may be limited or nonexistent.

From your description, I think I would buy the strongest gaming card you can justify. Somethig like a GTX670 or 7970($400 cards).
A second monitor can be attached to either with no restrictions or impact on gaming. For a third, research the limitations carefully.

Then add one or two inexpensive cards for the more static displays. They will be about $30 each.
If the gaming card id nvidia, make the aux cards nvidia, or if the main is amd, make the aux cards amd. That way, you will need to install only one universal graphics driver.
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 4:00:43 AM

Showponystuart said:
Hi (not to hijack but on the same note)
So there is no problem combining different types of cards. I am running the Quadro4000 (for cad stuff) and want to run 3-4 monitors. So it is possible to just buy a cheap card (nvidia preferable), plug it in and viola...I can run more monitors?

I was under the impression that all the cards had to be the same? Is this not correct?

Windows XP and Windows 7 support graphics cards with different drivers. Windows Vista does not
September 11, 2012 4:02:13 AM

Hi (not to hijack but on the same note)
So there is no problem combining different types of cards. I am running the Quadro4000 (for cad stuff) and want to run 3-4 monitors. So it is possible to just buy a cheap card (nvidia preferable), plug it in and viola...I can run more monitors?

I was under the impression that all the cards had to be the same? Is this not correct?
a c 99 U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 4:09:35 AM

as long as they are used as separate cards it is fine.

SLi/Crossfire need the same(for the most part).

That said, CAD may be properly accelerated only on the Quadro4000. I have found that is some cases you can move a game from one card to another and the first card keeps doing the work. You get a performance hit, but still better then the other card.

In short, You can mix and match cards. I have done it with Intel onboard and another cards and even ATI + Nvidia. Windows Vista had issues with this because MS wanted to avoid 2 video drivers working together, but 7 works fine this way.
!