Sign in with
Your question

Please Advices Upgrading Mobo, RAM and CPU 500-800$ budget. 1month

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2012 11:02:45 PM

Hi all and first of all thank you for your advices.

I am planning to upgrade my Desktop PC between 1 month from now.
Right now I have:
Motherboard: ASUS P5WDH DELUXE (Socket 775)
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800Mhz
Processor: Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83Ghz
GPU: Nvidia QUADRO FX 3800
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 320 Gb + 1.5 Tb between a copule of portable HDDs one of them 1Tb with USb 3.0
Power Supply: Thermaltake Thougpower XT 775 W

Ok so I just want to upgrade The motherboard, the RAM and the processor, keeping the rest.
The main use will be gaming as best as posible and 3D Editing with 3DsMax, Zbrush and Photoshop mainly.

I´ve been doing a lot of research And I´ve end up with the following:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77 V / ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO (Which one? Really worth it the extra money?)
CPU: Intel i5-3570K / Intel i7-3770K (Which one? Really worth it the extra money?)
RAM: 2x8Gb 1600 Mhz CL9 or better

(Just for let you know I have another QUADRO FX 3800 waiting for a motherboard with SLI compatibility (my current mobo has not). That would make a couple of QUADRO FX 3800 working on SLI in the new build.

And I would like you to givme some advices regharding:
1. Price obvisuly, (Im not the kind of guy who doesn´t care about the money, without saying nothing bad about who is).

2. Performance in both gaming an 3D editing along with overclocking capabilities

3. Durability. About the las thing I really don´t know what to do... :s
Ivy Bridge would be the last technology for socket 1155 would be worth it or not to wait until LGA 1150 and Haswell? Do I am really need to update Processor in less than 2-3 years?

4. Would be my current power supply able to handle all this?

5. And just for curious would a singlt GTX690 be better than my double QUADRO FX 3800 in games? (I guess obvisuly in 3d QUADRO will be better)

Thank you very much to everyone and sorry if I am missing something.
November 5, 2012 11:11:14 PM

Just forget to ask about what I would need for refrigeration. (I would like to avoid anykinf of liquid refrigeration if possible). Cheers
November 6, 2012 9:16:15 AM

No one? I just want your opinions please! I bit of help would be great! :D 
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 6, 2012 9:32:05 AM

Well you say main use is gaming. A normal GPU would be better in that case. Personally I'd go for AMD currently.
November 6, 2012 9:43:40 AM

1. The PRO asus motherboard is not worth the money for what you are doing. It just has better overclocking.
2. For editing, get the i7.
3. Ram is easy to find. Just get some kingston hyperx or anything thats cheap.
4. For SLI Quadros, Get the asus p8z77v- PRO
5. Your i7 would be able to last quite a while.
6. Your power supply may be able to cut it if it is a gold or higher certified. Run stress tests, If your computer crashes, get a new power supply
7. Yes a gtx 690 would be better. Even a gtx 680 is better.
November 6, 2012 9:50:06 AM

I think 7950s or 7970s would be better especially if he's going to be rendering with them. GTX 6XX series sucks for anything other than gaming.
November 6, 2012 10:32:45 AM

ThatsMyNameDude said:
1. The PRO asus motherboard is not worth the money for what you are doing. It just has better overclocking.
2. For editing, get the i7.
3. Ram is easy to find. Just get some kingston hyperx or anything thats cheap.
4. For SLI Quadros, Get the asus p8z77v- PRO
5. Your i7 would be able to last quite a while.
6. Your power supply may be able to cut it if it is a gold or higher certified. Run stress tests, If your computer crashes, get a new power supply
7. Yes a gtx 690 would be better. Even a gtx 680 is better.

Thank you for your advices, just a few notes:
The PRO mobo is better for overclocking and I want to do OC and is better for 3d and SLi builds right? (Why this last point?) So definetly I should go for the PRO right?

And yeah, Im pretty sure my power supply is gold, so that means there would be no risk?

About the CPU, what I´ll be losing with the i5? (Is a bit more than 100$ of difference... :s ) What the Hyperthreading (I belive is the major difference) does roughly?

Thank you very much guys!
November 6, 2012 10:34:27 AM

rene13cross said:
I think 7950s or 7970s would be better especially if he's going to be rendering with them. GTX 6XX series sucks for anything other than gaming.

Thank you for the advices about GPUs, it was only curiosity about that I am not really planning on getting rid of my double QUADRO. ;D
November 6, 2012 12:08:37 PM

Get the mobo gigabyte d3h z77x supports dual SLI also and its a good board (the one I currently have). I think a i5 3570k is sufficient, just do some OC to 4.2 afterwrds if you really need the boost... if u plan rendering much get the i7.
November 6, 2012 6:29:28 PM

centaurius said:
Get the mobo gigabyte d3h z77x supports dual SLI also and its a good board (the one I currently have). I think a i5 3570k is sufficient, just do some OC to 4.2 afterwrds if you really need the boost... if u plan rendering much get the i7.

Thank you for your advices! Regarding the cpu, I think I am finally going for the i5 because I am specialized in 3d modeling/sculpting not really render or physics, etc so I don´t really need the extra cpu power right? Not really I mean, plus is way less money. Any more opinions about this? :) 

Aboout the mobo? I really like Asus for mobos, what that gigabyte one offers? In what is Better to the Asus P8Z77 V/V-Pro?¿ I´ve checkek and it seems like the prices are the same, what I am winning with it?
December 30, 2012 11:27:33 AM

Hey guys I am back! I am finally going to buy the new components the next week!
Finally and taking the money on count I think I am gonna go for:
- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
- MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
- RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 16GB 2x8GB CL9

The only thing that still worries me right now is the cooling and my PSU.
- Will my Thermaltake Thougpower XT 775 W be able to handle all this plus the double Quadro in SLI?
- If I am planning on overclocking, will the default intel cpu cooler plus my 4 case fans be enough? If not what are your recomendations?
NOTE: This is my cirrent case: http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=X-CRUISER-AL
!