Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ViDock 4 Plus with Dell XPS 15 l502x [2nd Gen]

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 9, 2012 9:27:35 PM

Hey Tom's Hardware community,

I have a lot of questions pending so I will put them all here instead of opening up more than one thread seeing that they are all related to the same topic/ category.
First up, ViDock it is an external graphics card chassis for laptops with an available mPCIe port/slot. I am aware that my laptop has an available mPCIe slot/port for a (I think it is) a wwan/TV tuner card. So here is my questions:

1) What is the bandwidth of this port/slot

2) Is there any more port/slot I can utilize with the ViDock device.

3) Would the two devices (laptop and ViDock work with each other).

4) Is there any special instruction needed for this setup.

5) If it can work how much will the slot/port bottleneck the power of the graphics card (GTX 560 I want to go with).

I am aware that there is a number of persons that has undergone with a project of this magnitude (with use of the GTX 460) and some has had this exact setup but they declined to reply to my question on the setup.

My Laptop Specifications:
Processor -> Intel core i7-2670QM CPU @2.2 GHz Turbo Boost to 3.1 GHz
RAM ->8 GB of DDR3 arranged in two banks
Graphics -> NVIDIA GeForce gt540m (with 2 GB of DDR3 Memory)

I know an external display is need and the power supplied to the graphics is the right amount.
Don't be afraid to get technical, but not to technical .
Thanks for your help guys.
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 10:32:04 PM

Vidock is for expresscard not mpcie. To use mpcie you will do a diy setup which will also save you $150.
1. It's x1.
2. Not with your laptop.
3. It should.
4. Nope just connect everything.
5. 40-60% in most games which puts you to about a 570m.

Btw no need for a double post. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/369265-33-vidock-dell... Can we get a mod to merge?
m
l
September 9, 2012 11:12:50 PM

Sorry for the double post, I thought I posted on the wrong forum, one is UK one is well something else.
Now you said go with the DIY kit which in the first place I was going with, but I know that "others" used the ViDock 4 plus with the available port in the XPS 15 L502X (the reason why I am not going with the DIY kit is because I have to get family to bring this with them oversees and getting them to bring a PSU, GPU and the ViDock is going to be a problem).

Anyway another question:

1) are you talking about a gt570m graphics card? If so is that good.

2) Is it worth it to undergo this operation DIY or normal

Extra:
here is a link to the setup with a Lenovo T420
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMe3HNqkW9M

Also can someone tell me the type of port on the lenovo t420

Thanks Guys.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 177 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 3:49:10 AM

1. Was comparing the performance to be similar to the 570m. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-570M.56...

2. Other xps 15 models have expresscard but your version l502x does not, so is impossible to use vidock. You don't have to give me links, I know full well what the vidock is. As I said before, the diy version will save you $150 and you cannot use the vidock anyways. Most people do not use an egpu because you could always sell your laptop and get a new one with better performance for the same price without this external hassle. The pcie-mpcie adatper is $113, 560 is $170, psu probably $40. That's ~$323. Your laptop is ~$700 on ebay. An $850 laptop these days comes with i7, 8gb, 660m (better than 570m).
October 21, 2012 7:57:12 PM

Best answer selected by Mr_Western.
m
l
!