Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How accurate are HWInfo and GPU-Z ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 10:07:24 PM

Hi.

Maybe not the right place but i think people here will know and it's gpu related, so.

What i would like to know ; how accurate are hwinfo and gpu-z in determining the pci-e version from the mobo ?

HWinfo says i have pci-e 2.0, GPU-Z says at first i have 2.0 but after a couple of secs it states i have a 1.1.

With an i7 i hardly can imagine its 1.1 even though it is a crappy Packard Bell. :( 

More about : accurate hwinfo gpu

Best solution

a c 115 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 10:16:16 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Hi.

Maybe not the right place but i think people here will know and it's gpu related, so.

What i would like to know ; how accurate are hwinfo and gpu-z in determining the pci-e version from the mobo ?

HWinfo says i have pci-e 2.0, GPU-Z says at first i have 2.0 but after a couple of secs it states i have a 1.1.

With an i7 i hardly can imagine its 1.1 even though it is a crappy Packard Bell. :( 

Second and third generation PCIe controllers will lower their link speed to first generation speeds to save power when the link is not in use

HWInfo is one of the most reliable tools I have ever used.
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 10:20:20 PM

Right, thought so. Probably during gaming it should report 2.0 again ?

After looking better at it i think Hwinfo is only saying the pci-e from the gpu not from the mobo, am i right ? Nice tool indeed except from that.
Score
Related resources
a c 115 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 10:50:48 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Right, thought so. Probably during gaming it should report 2.0 again ?

After looking better at it i think Hwinfo is only saying the pci-e from the gpu not from the mobo, am i right ? Nice tool indeed except from that.

It should report the maximum supported separately as well as the current negotiated speed. The current negotiated speed should go back to 2.0 speeds as soon as its needed
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 10:58:42 PM

in gpu-z click on the small question mark next to the bus link widht readout, it will start a small render test to kick it in gear and out off power saving states.
Score
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 9, 2012 11:39:39 PM

Ok, great info.

Only can't click on that question mark ; somehow the GPUZ screen is so small that it doesn't show that. I can see the nvidia pic till the letter v and thats it. I can read from the bus width 256 and there it stops. Meh.
I can't adjust the size either or make it full screen. Weird.

Anyway doesn't matter much, i have my answer.

Thanks a lot guys/girls/aliens.

( and again i made the wrong kind of thread ; a discussion, not a question so i can't give a best answer. I always do that :pfff:  )

Anyway ; thread can be closed i think.
Score
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 3:46:02 AM

there both good and work well
Score
a c 84 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 8:12:55 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Ok, great info.

Only can't click on that question mark ; somehow the GPUZ screen is so small that it doesn't show that. I can see the nvidia pic till the letter v and thats it. I can read from the bus width 256 and there it stops. Meh.

my bad, I meant the 'Bus interface', didn't check what it was actually called before writing...
Score
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 9:28:16 PM

Doesn't matter, the box is to small to show either of those fully.

I only can see till "pci-e 1.1x16@x" and than the border is in the way. Weird bug. What ever.

Would have liked to try that ? though to see what happens.

Thanks anyway.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 9:37:23 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Ok, great info.

I can't adjust the size either or make it full screen. Weird.

Anyway doesn't matter much, i have my answer.

Thanks a lot guys/girls/aliens.

( and again i made the wrong kind of thread ; a discussion, not a question so i can't give a best answer. I always do that :pfff:  )

Anyway ; thread can be closed i think.

Try it now.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 9:50:48 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:

You're welcome.
Score
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 9:52:13 PM

Score
a c 104 U Graphics card