Which graphics card should I choose???

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey everyone.

Which graphics card is better overall for gaming?

Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 X2 Dual-GPU 1GB GDDR3

OR

ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB (let's assume it's GDDR3) (THIS CARD IS $15 MORE THAN THE 3870 X2)

Games I plan on playing: Battlefield 3, TESV: Skyrim, Crysis and Crysis 2, NFS: The Run, NFS: SHIFT 2 Unleashed, CoD (Black Ops, MW3,) Blacklight Retribution, etc. preferably at medium/mostly high settings @ 1400 x 900 resolution.

Other specs:
AMD FX-4170 Quad-Core @ 4.2GHz
4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1066MHz RAM
Windows 7 Professional

Solution
ok so I will just answer the question...the 4850 is the better card...they perform very similarly the 4850 takes the lead in most games but also the 4850 is the better card bc it uses alot less power produces alot less heat...is smaller and scales better in games bc its only one GPU vs. 2 GPUs on one board...so yes its worth the extra 15 bucks

drums101

Distinguished
why are you looking to purchase such old cards?are you getting them for really cheap from a friend or something? what is your budget? maybe we can help you find a better card for the price...also soundguruman given that he has an AMD fx-4170 cpu I would HOPE that he has a PCIE x16 slot in his system lol

G

From what I understand, both of these cards are PCI-E x16...

G

My understanding is that both of these cards are PCI-E x16. I don't even know if other versions of these cards exist (PCI-E x8 or AGP versions) Both are really cheap, but the Radeon HD 4850 512MB is $15 more. All I want to know is which card is better, and if the 4850 is better, would it be worth the extra $15? (only if it's a better card)

drums101

Distinguished
ok so I will just answer the question...the 4850 is the better card...they perform very similarly the 4850 takes the lead in most games but also the 4850 is the better card bc it uses alot less power produces alot less heat...is smaller and scales better in games bc its only one GPU vs. 2 GPUs on one board...so yes its worth the extra 15 bucks

Solution
G

Is the 3870 X2 really that big of a card? Well, I guess because it's a dual-GPU card, and an old dual-GPU card at that.

G

Yeah, I've been taking a look at gaming videos of people using an HD 4850 512MB card, and I'm actually quite amazed at what this 512MB card can achieve. It just doesn't make sense to me how a 512MB single-GPU card can achieve better performance than a dual-GPU 1GB card. Is it because the 3870 X2 isn't a "true" dual-GPU card (in the sense that it doesn't actively use both GPU's at once all the time, which was what I heard about?) Not saying that it's true, because I've never owned a 3870 X2, but I just keep hearing that the the 3870 X2 doesn't use both GPU's effectively and efficiently due to driver issues and such...

drums101

Distinguished
yea it comes down to the drivers and software...the 3870x2 can use both gpu's at a time but it needs drivers that will utilize this and a game that supports this as well...and alot of games have issues with that...there is problems with that even to this day....the gtx 690 will still encounter games that are not friendly to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts