New PC advice?

handsman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Looking to build a new pc. My budget is around $1500 but I would like to keep it under $1000. Here is what I am thinking:

Intel i7 3770k - $320
- I would overclock so I would add a cpu fan (Hyper 212 +) $25
or
Intel i7 3820 - $290
GeForce GTX 570HD - $290
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2 x 4) - $40
1tb Corsair Black Hard drive - $90
Cooler Master Elite 430 - $47

Need suggestions for motherboards based on which cpu you think I should get. I also need to know what power supply I need.

I will be using this for gaming, schoolwork, and JAVA programming as well as some graphic design stuff.

Please share your thoughts and I WANT criticism.

Thanks in Advance!

handsman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Yeah im not going to do water cooling because it seems like to much of a hassle. I wont be overclocking to much so i dont think i would need more than hyper 212

What are your priorities when it comes to using this computer?

'Cuz honestly... aside from compiling code, you're doing NOTHING that would benefit from an i7 - just get an i5-3570k. For normal use, there is NO difference between it and an i7 after a mild overclock.

You can do better than a 570 - from that card up, the 500 series runs REALLY hot. (A friend has that card and has to run his computer without a side panel and extra jury-rigged fans to keep it cool with just a mild overclock.) I'd spend the extra $10 and get a 660ti, which'll be cooler and have better performance.

What's the speed and timing on that RAM? That price seems low for 1600 at even CAS 9.

Erm... get an SSD. Yes, they're expensive, but games will load faster, programs will open instantly, and graphic design projects will take no more than two or three seconds to save or load no matter how large they are.

That's more than plenty for your needs. I believe ben'jock' was referring to a closed-circuit water cooler, which is less of a hassle, but also way, way less useful.

handsman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Thanks I will definitely switch to the i5.

I've actually switched my mind on the 570 and I found a 7870 2gb on amazon for $40 less so I would probably go with that

Im not really sure but here is the amazon page http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Ive been thinking about getting an ssd, maybe just enough for windows premium 64 bit and a couple of games

could you suggest a good motherboard?

Im a complete noob so i really appreciate the advice!

Uh huh. It's a mistake a lot of new builders do - buying the most expensive parts, thinking that more performance equals more performance. (It usually, but the curve of diminishing returns is more like a cliff at certain points.)

That's a great deal on that card, and it will more than serve your needs, get it!

That ram is actually a good deal, and of a good deal. With an ATX motherboard and a hyper 212+ there should be no issues of fitting.

Just get the SSD - you won't regret it. 128GB is the sweet spot, but make sure you get a reliable one: an OCZ Agility 4, Samsung 840 pro, or Intel 520.

The ASrock Pro4 (EDIT: excuse me, extreme 4) is a popular choice, but I personally love the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H.

You're more than welcome for the advice - that's what we're here for, after all. :)

handsman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Yeah Im gonna go for the gigabyte. And im definetly getting the ssd. But I still need a power supply and I also need to know if my case will work...

It would be great if you could suggest some or give me some advice on determining those things.

Your case will work fine, though I'd recommend the NZXT Gamma Classic for a budget case.

As for a power supply, a 550w PSU from a reliable brand (Antec, SeaSonic, Corsair, XFX, OZC, a few others...) will serve you just fine.

An io panel? That's built into the motherboard...

As for the wireless card, it depends. You'll get faster, more reliable internet using an ethernet cable. If you want to use Wi-Fi, then yeah, you need a wireless card.

handsman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
@DarkSable

Yeah my ethernet is to far and it doesnt run through the house.

Other than that it looks like im all good.

I really appreciate all the help and advice!

handsman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Intel i5 3570k - $220
Hyper 212 + $25
Radeon 78702gb - $240
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2 x 4) - $40
2tb Seagate Hard drive - $90
Cooler Master Elite 430 - $47
Samsung 840 128gb - $110
Gigabyte z77 - $140
Corsair CX600w - $90
Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter -$30
Asus Dvd drive - $25

So I have about $300 left... Anything you would recommend as extra? And do I need to buy any extra cables or anything?

I might pick up an extra SATA cable and some ties for wiring... Plus I might get a headset...

TRENDING THREADS