Mage: the ascension

I'm doing some research for a book and I've been looking through various
modern versions of gains that concern magic, vampires, werewolves, etc. Does
anyone know where I might find, free preferably, a list of spells and such
that mages can cast in Mage: the Ascension at various levels? Post or email
at cacheek@kopower.com Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cole and Amanda Cheek wrote:

> I'm doing some research for a book and I've been looking through various
> modern versions of gains that concern magic, vampires, werewolves, etc. Does
> anyone know where I might find, free preferably, a list of spells and such
> that mages can cast in Mage: the Ascension at various levels? Post or email
> at cacheek@kopower.com Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mage: The Ascension's system is set up to allow players to make up new
spells on the fly. You'd kinda have to read it to understand.
--
Stephenls
Geek

"Cole and Amanda Cheek"

> I'm doing some research for a book and I've been looking through various
> modern versions of gains that concern magic, vampires, werewolves, etc.
Does
> anyone know where I might find, free preferably, a list of spells and such
> that mages can cast in Mage: the Ascension at various levels? Post or
email
> at cacheek@kopower.com Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks

You never actually READ M:tA, have you?

There really isn't a "spell list", as much as "the system for which just
about anything you could ever want to do", tucked in with a vague
description of "the paradigms that define what you can and can't do".

"Cole and Amanda Cheek" <cacheek@kopower.com> wrote:

> I'm doing some research for a book and I've been looking through various
> modern versions of gains that concern magic, vampires, werewolves, etc. Does
> anyone know where I might find, free preferably, a list of spells and such
> that mages can cast in Mage: the Ascension at various levels? Post or email
> at cacheek@kopower.com Any help will be greatly appreciated.

As others have pointed out, the book is needed to get the whole
picture; I'll provide an overview, but this isn't a replacement
or a even a proper summary of the rules.

Mechanically speaking, you have nine Spheres that represent nine
different facets of reality. Blended in varying amounts, these
nine Spheres should allow a mage to create any magical effect she
can imagine. Each Sphere has five levels determining the amount
of knowledge and power the mage can exert over that aspect of
reality. Effects range from simple intuitive senses to nuclear
blasts, in terms of power.

The nine Spheres are:

Correspondence - space, position and relationships.
Entropy - fate, luck, chaos/order and decay/preservation.
Forces - heat, light, sound, gravity, kinetic energy, etc.
Life - all manner of living things, from healing to shape-
shifting to creating new life forms.
Matter - all manner of non-living matter, its creation and
any tangible properties it possesses.
Mind - mental abilities, telepathy, mental illusions, mind
control, etc.
Prime - control over the 'fifth element,' Quintessence. A
Sphere that controls the magical qualities of things
in the way Forces controls non-magical energies that
may be associated with a thing (blessing a weapon to
affect supernatural creatures, for example, would be
a Prime effect).
Spirit - summoning and otherwise affecting spirits and the
spirit world (Umbra) that exists as a shadow of the
'real' world of the game setting.
Time - foreseeing the future and altering the flow of time.

The game is designed such that you use different levels of these
spheres in varying combinations to explain the effect that you
(and your character) thought up. The game relies on characters
possessing realistic paradigms and philosophies on how and why
magic works, often as extensions of real-world magical practices.

Putting this all together, you may have a Dreamspeaker from Haiti
whose beliefs are an extension of Vodoun. To attack an enemy, he
may take a lock of hair, wrap it around a fetish doll, then throw
them both into the fire. Mechanically, the player tells the GM
his character uses Forces and Correspondence to channel the heat
of the fire to the target.

Here is a list of sample effects (called "rotes") from a classic
mage source online, Anders' Mage Page:
http://hem.bredband.net/arenamontanus/mage_rotes.html

Please note that this is not a spell list. Rotes are merely
examples of what is possible. While characters may use them
as described, they are no different from an effect that the
mage just thought up. You don't 'have' a number of rotes as
you might have a number of spells - the only limits on what
effects the character can create are what he can conceive of
and whether that effect is possible under the ceiling of the
Spheres he possesses.

Vis Sierra