Reality check on a new build

zipper1971

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: Mid November (or sooner)

Budget Range: Below $1400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, general use (web, Youtube, etc.)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes. Going to get Windows 7 Home Premium

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Possibly in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Mostly I play MMOs. That said, I do throw the occasion solo game on. I don't play twitch games but I do like to turn settings up on the games that I play and "make them look pretty".

The build that I put together on pcpartpicker is;

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT 93.7 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 520 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast TX650V2 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($27.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.99 @ CompUSA)
Total: $1314.88

I think that I've balanced the parts well but I'm looking for a reality check.

Solution
Not a bad list overall.

If you see a good price on a 3450 or 3470 (they frequently go for ~$180) then you shouldn't hesitate to grab one instead of the 3570, the performance at stock speeds will be negligible at best.

You don't need the 3rd party cooler if you're not overclocking, the stock cooler will be just fine. If you want one anyway for noise or peace of mind or whatnot, then you at least don't need to spend that much. Get a Hyper212 EVO at the very most.

16GB of RAM is overkill at the moment, you won't come close to utilizing it for gaming. If you're just futureproofing then it's fine, but otherwise grab an 8GB kit and just throw in another 8GB in a few years when it might actually make a difference.

You don't need to spend...

sonicers

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
The i5 3570K is 30 cheaper and is overclockable, whereas your current CPU is not.

Everything else looks okay, you could use the extra 30 bucks and go with a better GPU, possible upgrade to a GTX 670.

The motherboard is fine, but you could go with an Asrock Z77 and save a bit of money. I'm not sure how it differs performance-wise though.

Other than that, it looks like a solid build!

ckholt83

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Not a bad list overall.

If you see a good price on a 3450 or 3470 (they frequently go for ~$180) then you shouldn't hesitate to grab one instead of the 3570, the performance at stock speeds will be negligible at best.

You don't need the 3rd party cooler if you're not overclocking, the stock cooler will be just fine. If you want one anyway for noise or peace of mind or whatnot, then you at least don't need to spend that much. Get a Hyper212 EVO at the very most.

16GB of RAM is overkill at the moment, you won't come close to utilizing it for gaming. If you're just futureproofing then it's fine, but otherwise grab an 8GB kit and just throw in another 8GB in a few years when it might actually make a difference.

You don't need to spend that much on the SSD. Try this guy instead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W2JL2A/?tag=pcpapi-20

The 660 Ti isn't the best value. You can get a 670 instead with the money you'd save on RAM/SSD. I recently saw one on sale for $320, and Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales are right around the corner. Also I'm sure someone will tell you to get a Radeon instead.

The Corsair Carbide 500R is on sale right now for only $5 more than the 300R, which is a steal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Otherwise that build is looking good. :)

Solution

Hazle

Distinguished
a decent B75 or H77 board if you're not going to OC the CPU, unless there's a feature on that board that you really like and willing to spend on.

if you're not considering OCing, a CM Hyper 212 EVO will do you more than good for a lesser price (heck, if you are interested in OCing, it'll still do the job). even a hyper 101 would suffice. any cheaper than that, may as well stick with the stock cooler.

optionally, you could grab a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD as the boot drive & for commonly used programs and a decent 1TB HDD for storage for less than what you're paying for that intel SSD. if you already have an HDD for storage and willing to spend on that SSD, do go on.

also optional; grab 2x4GB DDR3-1600 memory for half the price. those should be more than plenty for gaming alone.

if you do buy a cheaper SSD+HDD & RAM, you may have some leftover cash to keep that z77 board and buy an i5-3570K with it. otherwise, you could spend ~$20 more for a 3570K without going over your budget.

if you're still very uninterested with overclocking but did as i suggest, you might find room to get a 7970 or a 670 if you want to spend that remaining cash you just saved up.

EDIT:
an example if you saved up on the RAM, SSD and CPU Cooler. most likely, you can find a better deal for a better bang for your buck.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mH9d