help with a downed PC!!!

karama

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Yesterday I was working on my computer when I heard a pop and everything went out and the screen turned black. I figured the power supply went out because i couldn't get the power to turn back on. I went to the store and bought another ATX power supply, took out the old and installed the new. The power came on again and it started the post up routine, starting with the video card, checking memory, ect. But it then made two beeps and then a few secs passed by, and then another beep. (instead of the normal one post up beep letting you know everything checked okay) Then it goes to a screen and it first says that it can't find the SCSI BIOS(i don't have a scsi device in the computer), then right after that statement it says that it can't find the boot record and to insert media device that has the boot record and then to press any key. I also can't seem to get into setup either(it uses AMI BIOS). I hit delete right in the begining and it ignores this. I took the hard drive out and plugged it into another computer and it was fine. Windows and all my other folders were there so nothing was wrong with my hard drive. Anybody got any ideas about what could be wrong because i am not sure what to do next

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Seems that the dead power supply kill your keyboard, and part of motherboard devices.
It's worth to pay more for a good power supply!!!

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Possibly the BIOS settings have been scrambled. There will be a jumper on the mobo which resets to default.

I doubt it will cure the problem, but it's worth a shot before buying a new mobo.

karama

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Thanks, yall, i appreciate the info. I was wondering if yall could reccomend a no frills motherboard(I am on a budget) or where i could purchase one on the internet. This computer uses a 366 Celeron slot 1 proc. This computer is used for simple work stuff and internet browsing.