Slander from Google

Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
publisher of slander and defamation.

For too long now this firm has sought to ignore common courtesy and
continues to allow anonymous and defamatory posting to news groups from
their facilities. I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from
Google to join with me in a law suite. I will cover your legal costs up
to the court date.

Douglas MacDonald

--
The Eulogy of Australia's last WW1 soldier...
Passed away at age 106.

    Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    > publisher of slander and defamation.

    You really want a Usenet provider to be legally considered the publisher
    of its users' posts? Really? Because I can almost guarantee that if you
    are successful, almost all providers will disallow all posting, that being
    the only conceivable way to protect themselves legally. Luckily, although
    UK law is a bit silly about this, I doubt you'll be successful under US
    law, so we probably don't have much to worry about from you.

    --
    Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.skiing.alpine (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:47:14 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    >publisher of slander and defamation.
    >
    >For too long now this firm has sought to ignore common courtesy and
    >continues to allow anonymous and defamatory posting to news groups from
    >their facilities. I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from
    >Google to join with me in a law suite. I will cover your legal costs up
    >to the court date.
    >
    >Douglas MacDonald

    Scott,

    I thought you might be interested in the above referenced legal
    action, especially because it's being offered for free.

    Looks like you and Douglas might have something in common.

    -Astro
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:47:14 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    >publisher of slander and defamation.

    Don't be an idiot, man.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Ryadia wrote:

    > Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    > publisher of slander and defamation.
    >
    > For too long now this firm has sought to ignore common courtesy and
    > continues to allow anonymous and defamatory posting to news groups from
    > their facilities. I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from
    > Google to join with me in a law suite. I will cover your legal costs up
    > to the court date.

    To my knowledge no internet company has been found liable for content posted via
    its services. OTOH, they usually will cooperate with the police or a court
    order to provide details about the offending poster. Your lawyer will probably
    need to get a court order in your home state/province and send that to Google
    (or better, the offenders ISP if that is clear from the Google header). They
    will provide what data they can.

    Put it in this context, if a television reporter makes a libelous statement
    about you on camera without anything to back it up, you can sue him and the
    station; if the station shows tape of some person making a libelous statement
    about you, then you can sue the person making the statement but not the station
    or reporter.

    Cheers,
    Alan.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    > publisher of slander and defamation.

    You won't win.

    >I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from Google to join with me
    >in a law suite.

    For an orgy?
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    > publisher of slander and defamation.
    >
    > For too long now this firm has sought to ignore common courtesy and
    > continues to allow anonymous and defamatory posting to news groups from
    > their facilities. I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from
    > Google to join with me in a law suite. I will cover your legal costs up to
    > the court date.
    >
    > Douglas MacDonald

    ------

    What was said, about whom?......any links?
  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    I glad he's is not my neighbor, he probley suies everybody for anything.

    "Fascinated Fed" <seat@thefrontrow.com> wrote in message

    > "Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    >> publisher of slander and defamation.
    >>
    >> For too long now this firm has sought to ignore common courtesy and
    >> continues to allow anonymous and defamatory posting to news groups from
    >> their facilities. I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from
    >> Google to join with me in a law suite. I will cover your legal costs up
    >> to the court date.
    >>
    >> Douglas MacDonald
    >

    > ------
    >
    > What was said, about whom?......any links?

  8. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "SteveJ" <SJ@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I glad he's is not my neighbor, he probley suies everybody for anything.

    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! - if he hears you saying that he might have you in court
    before you can say, "Cheque Book".....and don't forget, he's got a Queen's
    Counsel to act for him...bwaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa!!
  9. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:47:14 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    >publisher of slander and defamation.

    Were you born naturally stupid, or do you have to actually work at it?

    -Astro
  10. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Jeremy Nixon wrote:
    > Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    >>publisher of slander and defamation.
    >

    > You really want a Usenet provider to be legally considered the publisher
    > of its users' posts? Really? Because I can almost guarantee that if you
    > are successful, almost all providers will disallow all posting, that being
    > the only conceivable way to protect themselves legally. Luckily, although
    > UK law is a bit silly about this, I doubt you'll be successful under US
    > law, so we probably don't have much to worry about from you.

    As I understand the law of defamation in Australia, the one publishing
    the work is the one to sue. Google publish the posts made to their http
    forums to news groups as ASCI text. This is no different from me letting
    you write whatever you want in a magazine I publish.

    It may be true that headers contain an IP address but when it is a proxy
    server in Cario or Mexico, Google have the technology to forbid access
    on the basis of the source not being identifable.

    Total rubbish about ISPs refusing access. They too have the facilities
    to block IP addresses on proxy servers refusing to give up the real IP
    and most don't. It is these who will sufffer and have to finally be
    responsible for whom they let use their service.

    --
    EOS my GOD,
    Give me ISO for I have not yet seen the light.

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:24:37 -0500, Alan Browne
    <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

    >Put it in this context, if a television reporter makes a libelous statement
    >about you on camera without anything to back it up, you can sue him and the
    >station; if the station shows tape of some person making a libelous statement
    >about you, then you can sue the person making the statement but not the station
    >or reporter.

    If by "on camera" you mean "live", then I would have thought (though IANAL)
    that the situation would be the exact opposite:

    Just as ISPs/telcos have no opportunity to "edit/review/control" what is
    posted to usenet/spoken down a phone, then a TV station would have no
    chance to intervene if a (previously reliable) reporter on live TV started
    spouting slander [it would be slander because it's spoken; libel is for the
    written word]. As such, I suspect that they could be held not responsible.

    If, however, the TV station *elected* to show a pre-recorded tape, then
    they _have_ made an "editorial decision" and would probably be included in
    an action for slander.

    Regards,
  12. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Graham Holden wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:24:37 -0500, Alan Browne
    > <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>Put it in this context, if a television reporter makes a libelous statement
    >>about you on camera without anything to back it up, you can sue him and the
    >>station; if the station shows tape of some person making a libelous statement
    >>about you, then you can sue the person making the statement but not the station
    >>or reporter.
    >>
    > If by "on camera" you mean "live", then I would have thought (though IANAL)
    > that the situation would be the exact opposite:
    >
    > Just as ISPs/telcos have no opportunity to "edit/review/control" what is
    > posted to usenet/spoken down a phone, then a TV station would have no
    > chance to intervene if a (previously reliable) reporter on live TV started
    > spouting slander [it would be slander because it's spoken; libel is for the
    > written word]. As such, I suspect that they could be held not responsible.
    >
    > If, however, the TV station *elected* to show a pre-recorded tape, then
    > they _have_ made an "editorial decision" and would probably be included in
    > an action for slander.

    I was just making the example as simple as possible. Airing tapes is, as you
    say, an editorial decision and usually made with more than one source of
    information. (There was a similar case here where a newspaper quoted something
    said on air by a former Premier (provincial first minister). The Premier sued
    the radio station and the newspaper. He lost against the newspaper as it was
    just reporting what the radio station said (and attributed it to the radio
    station)).

    As to 'slander' v. 'libel', it could be argued that the broadcast of a recorded
    utterance is the broadcast of a 'document' and thus libel. (If "live" then it
    is slander.) But that's just my opinion ... I have no idea how civil courts
    interpret it.

    Cheers,
    Alan.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:50:08 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
    wrote:

    >Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Goolge isn't publishing anything until it gets an editor. As soon as
    >> they edit or censor one post, they become a publisher. It's for that
    >> reason, they won't edit anything.
    >
    >This is an oft-repeated myth that is completely incorrect.

    I disagree.

    To quote a legal site (link at the bottom)

    i) By exercising responsibility and attempting to regulate the nature
    of the content, the online service provider may then become a
    publisher and can be sued for libel. On the other hand, if they do
    absolutely nothing, they could be sued for negligence for failing to
    maintain security procedures, or for negligent misstatement.

    >There is *no* legal basis in the US to say that editing or censoring makes
    >you responsible for what remains. The court decision (the Prodigy case)
    >that said so was specifically and deliberately invalidated by later
    >legislation that says exactly the opposite.

    Cite please.

    Here's one assessment I found of that case:

    <start of clip>

    A second New York case, Stratton Oakmount v. Prodigy 23 Med. L.R. 1794
    (S.C., Nassau County 1995), involving a libel action by Stratton
    Oakmount, arose out of an allegedly defamatory posting on a finance
    oriented bulletin board on the Prodigy Online Service. The originator
    of the defamation was falsely identified and remains unknown.

    On a motion for summary judgment brought by the plaintiff, the court
    found that Prodigy was a "publisher" for the following reasons:

    i) In the past, Prodigy had held itself out as being a "family
    oriented" computer network and exercised editorial control over the
    content of its editorial boards in order to make itself more appealing
    to certain segments of the market.

    ii) Prodigy had posted "content guidelines" to its users regarding
    what Prodigy regarded as proper and appropriate for posting on
    Prodigy's bulletin boards.

    iii) Prodigy used a software screening program to screen postings for
    offensive language.

    iv) Prodigy retained "board leaders" to enforce the guidelines.

    v) Prodigy employed technological means to delete postings that
    violated the guidelines.

    On October 24, 1995, Stratton Oakmount announced that it was dropping
    its $200 million libel lawsuit against Prodigy Online Service. Prodigy
    had assembled new evidence to show that, since 1992, it had used a
    computerized keyword search solely to weed out messages containing
    obscene language, but had not scanned messages for defamatory speech.
    This evidence, coupled with an apology from Prodigy, was enough to
    convince Stratton Oakmount to drop the case.

    <end clip>

    This suggests that the case was dropped when Prodigy proved they had
    *not* edited the content, rather than the introduction of any new
    legislation.

    More (and the source of my clip) can be found at:
    http://www.cyberlibel.com./liabilit.html

    ...where it summarizes the UK, US, Canada laws that relate.

    As I requested above, I would be interested in seeing this new
    legislation you mentioned, do you know what it was called?

    --
    Owamanga!
  14. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > This suggests that the case was dropped when Prodigy proved they had
    > *not* edited the content, rather than the introduction of any new
    > legislation.

    The disposition of the case is not relevant; what is relevant is the
    later legislation invalidating the precedent.

    > As I requested above, I would be interested in seeing this new
    > legislation you mentioned, do you know what it was called?

    47 USC Section 230, enacted in 1996.

    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode47/usc_sec_47_00000230----000-.html

    The Congressional Conference Report on section 230 states:

    "[O]ne of the specific purposes of [section 230] is to overrule
    Stratton-Oakmont v. Prodigy and any other similar decisions which
    have treated such providers and users as Publishers or speakers of
    content that is not their own because they have restricted access
    to objectionable material."

    See also Zeran v. America Online.

    --
    Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
  15. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:45:40 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
    wrote:

    >Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> This suggests that the case was dropped when Prodigy proved they had
    >> *not* edited the content, rather than the introduction of any new
    >> legislation.
    >
    >The disposition of the case is not relevant; what is relevant is the
    >later legislation invalidating the precedent.
    >
    >> As I requested above, I would be interested in seeing this new
    >> legislation you mentioned, do you know what it was called?
    >
    >47 USC Section 230, enacted in 1996.
    >
    >http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode47/usc_sec_47_00000230----000-.html
    >
    >The Congressional Conference Report on section 230 states:
    >
    > "[O]ne of the specific purposes of [section 230] is to overrule
    > Stratton-Oakmont v. Prodigy and any other similar decisions which
    > have treated such providers and users as Publishers or speakers of
    > content that is not their own because they have restricted access
    > to objectionable material."
    >
    >See also Zeran v. America Online.

    He key part here I believe is:

    "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be
    treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by
    another information content provider."

    This doesn't save Google. Because the user involved holds a posting
    account directly with them (Google), so there was no other information
    content provider involved. They can't hide behind this.

    So, OP, go ahead, sue them.

    ;-)

    --
    Owamanga!
  16. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > He key part here I believe is:
    >
    > "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be
    > treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by
    > another information content provider."
    >
    > This doesn't save Google. Because the user involved holds a posting
    > account directly with them (Google), so there was no other information
    > content provider involved. They can't hide behind this.

    The "information content provider" is the person posting the message.

    There is no "hiding". The end result of the Prodigy precedent was that
    it became impossible for any service provider to exercise any form of
    control whatsoever over anything, including illegal material posted
    by their customers, access to pornography by minors, etc. This was
    clearly not desirable, so Congress invalidated the decision. It's
    pretty simple, really.

    --
    Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
  17. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:04:02 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
    wrote:

    >Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> He key part here I believe is:
    >>
    >> "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be
    >> treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by
    >> another information content provider."
    >>
    >> This doesn't save Google. Because the user involved holds a posting
    >> account directly with them (Google), so there was no other information
    >> content provider involved. They can't hide behind this.
    >
    >The "information content provider" is the person posting the message.
    >
    >There is no "hiding". The end result of the Prodigy precedent was that
    >it became impossible for any service provider to exercise any form of
    >control whatsoever over anything, including illegal material posted
    >by their customers, access to pornography by minors, etc. This was
    >clearly not desirable, so Congress invalidated the decision. It's
    >pretty simple, really.

    I get it. The individual is an 'information content provider'

    So, he as a 'user' of the interactive computer service is also
    protected by claiming that another 'information content provider'
    (anyone on the internet) provided the libel.

    This must make it virtually impossible for a celebrity to bring about
    a liability case relating to the internet... I can always find
    *someone* else that said that nasty thing about Michael Jackson before
    I did. Another 'information content provider' that I'm just repeating.

    Cool.

    --
    Owamanga!
  18. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I get it. The individual is an 'information content provider'
    >
    > So, he as a 'user' of the interactive computer service is also
    > protected by claiming that another 'information content provider'
    > (anyone on the internet) provided the libel.

    Of course; if someone else posted it, he's not responsible.

    > This must make it virtually impossible for a celebrity to bring about
    > a liability case relating to the internet... I can always find
    > *someone* else that said that nasty thing about Michael Jackson before
    > I did. Another 'information content provider' that I'm just repeating.

    It doesn't work that way, and I think you know it.

    If you say "Michael Jackson diddles little boys" it doesn't matter if
    someone else said it first. If you say "The National Enquirer reported
    yesterday that Michael Jackson diddles little boys" that's a different
    statement entirely.

    --
    Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
  19. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Henry Law wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:47:14 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    >>publisher of slander and defamation.
    >

    > Don't be an idiot, man.

    Now if you'd said I was a fool, I could have seen the "money soon
    parted" inference but to suggest I'm an idiot for defending a principal
    that I have a legal right to sue for damages when someone slanders or
    defames me or my wife, is to say you really couldn't give a hoot if some
    one did it to you. Do you?

    FWIW I've already spent the cost of a small car in trying to discover
    the identity of the person responsible... Cadillac's are not all that
    much more! Besides, I have the advise of a QC that my case has merit and
    an offer to appear in court for no more cost than I recover from the
    court as costs. It is going to happen.

    Doug
  20. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:25:06 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Henry Law wrote:
    >> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:47:14 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    >>>publisher of slander and defamation.
    >>

    >> Don't be an idiot, man.
    >
    >Now if you'd said I was a fool, I could have seen the "money soon
    >parted" inference but to suggest I'm an idiot for defending a principal
    >that I have a legal right to sue for damages when someone slanders or
    >defames me or my wife, is to say you really couldn't give a hoot if some
    >one did it to you. Do you?

    Yes, you have a legal right to sue, but you are trying to sue the
    wrong entity. You don't sue the power company for a flyer posted on
    the power pole. You have to find and sue the author of the flyer.
    Usenet is just a huge public place to post things, with the data
    copied to thousands of servers around the world, some archive the data
    for hours or days (most ISPs), others archive it for years (e.g.
    DejaNews/Google).

    >FWIW I've already spent the cost of a small car in trying to discover
    >the identity of the person responsible...

    Why? What is so important about an apparently-anonymous usenet post
    that you are going to these extremes?

    >Cadillac's are not all that
    >much more! Besides, I have the advise of a QC that my case has merit and
    >an offer to appear in court for no more cost than I recover from the
    >court as costs. It is going to happen.

    You are going to waste a lot of money and lose. Your QC (whatever
    that is) either doesn't know about or doesn't understand usenet and is
    giving you poor advice.

    Instead of suing Google you should be suing John Doe and then
    subpoenaing Google for records and following the trace back (using
    subpoenas as needed) until it can't be followed anymore. When you
    reach the spot where the trace can't be followed anymore, claim THAT
    entity is your John Doe, asserting that unless they can prove an
    identifiable someone else posted it that they are responsible. Hold
    them responsible for the post that came from their server if they
    won't give up who sent it to THEM.

    IMHO there should be no system to post anonymously to usenet, but it's
    going to take suing each entity that runs an anonymizer (or who
    otherwise refuses to disclose who transmitted the info to them) to get
    those services stopped. It's not Google's fault that anonymizers
    exist, and even if Google itself didn't archive those posts, anonymous
    posts would still go to thousands of other usenet servers around the
    world (including other servers with large archives) and as soon as
    someone posted a reply, THAT post would go to Google and be archived
    there. So getting Google to stop posting them to their archive would
    not really change the fact that the item was posted and widely
    distributed, to be easily seen by anyone with internet access.

    jc
  21. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Ryadia wrote:
    > Henry Law wrote:
    >> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:47:14 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as
    >>> the publisher of slander and defamation.

    <snip Mr Law's helpful but tardy advice>

    > Now if you'd said I was a fool, I could have seen the "money soon
    > parted" inference but to suggest I'm an idiot for defending a
    > principal that I have a legal right to sue for damages when someone
    > slanders or defames me or my wife, is to say you really couldn't give
    > a hoot if some one did it to you. Do you?
    >
    > FWIW I've already spent the cost of a small car in trying to discover
    > the identity of the person responsible... Cadillac's are not all that
    > much more! Besides, I have the advise of a QC that my case has merit
    > and an offer to appear in court for no more cost than I recover from
    > the court as costs. It is going to happen.

    I'll bet yours is not the first such action taken against a major
    "carrier". I'll bet the QC is eager to make a name in an arena that
    influences him personally in the same way a video game influences a
    player: it can't hurt him, and it might be fun. In your case, someone
    else (you) is going to pay the price. So much easier to show enthusiasm
    in those circumstances, ne?

    Speaking of costs, does the contract with your attorneys specify at what
    point they advise you of the futility of your plan, and allow you to
    gracefully admit defeat? Mr Google's very existence is tied up in this
    kind of thing. Can you imagine the kind and amount of resources they
    will bring to bear? They will not likely offer to settle: then every
    _other_ kook with an eye on their net worth will jump in the game. Even
    if they _do_ make you an out-of-Court offer, wouldn't acceptance be
    deserting your principal (sic)?

    If you want to be known as "The Guy Who Sued Google© And Won", vain
    hope; if you don't mind being "Another Nice Guy Who Flirts With Reality
    But Not Very Seriously", carry on. More power to you, but mind your
    health. You're on the road to Ulcer, Stroke, and Heart Attack Country.

    Resp'y,

    --
    Frank ess
    "There are some aspects of existence that simply do not yield to

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:01:30 GMT, JC Dill <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote:

    >On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:25:06 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Henry Law wrote:

    >>> Don't be an idiot, man.
    >>
    >>Now if you'd said I was a fool, I could have seen the "money soon
    >>parted" inference but to suggest I'm an idiot for defending a principal
    >>that I have a legal right to sue for damages when someone slanders or
    >>defames me or my wife, is to say you really couldn't give a hoot if some
    >>one did it to you. Do you?
    >
    >Yes, you have a legal right to sue, but you are trying to sue the
    >wrong entity. You don't sue the power company for a flyer posted on
    >the power pole. You have to find and sue the author of the flyer.
    >Usenet is just a huge public place to post things, with the data
    >copied to thousands of servers around the world, some archive the data
    >for hours or days (most ISPs), others archive it for years (e.g.
    >DejaNews/Google).
    >
    >>FWIW I've already spent the cost of a small car in trying to discover
    >>the identity of the person responsible...
    >
    >Why? What is so important about an apparently-anonymous usenet post
    >that you are going to these extremes?
    >
    >>Cadillac's are not all that
    >>much more! Besides, I have the advise of a QC that my case has merit and
    >>an offer to appear in court for no more cost than I recover from the
    >>court as costs. It is going to happen.
    >
    >You are going to waste a lot of money and lose. Your QC (whatever
    >that is) either doesn't know about or doesn't understand usenet and is
    >giving you poor advice.
    >
    >Instead of suing Google you should be suing John Doe and then
    >subpoenaing Google for records and following the trace back (using
    >subpoenas as needed) until it can't be followed anymore. When you
    >reach the spot where the trace can't be followed anymore, claim THAT
    >entity is your John Doe, asserting that unless they can prove an
    >identifiable someone else posted it that they are responsible. Hold
    >them responsible for the post that came from their server if they
    >won't give up who sent it to THEM.
    >
    >IMHO there should be no system to post anonymously to usenet, but it's
    >going to take suing each entity that runs an anonymizer (or who
    >otherwise refuses to disclose who transmitted the info to them) to get
    >those services stopped. It's not Google's fault that anonymizers
    >exist, and even if Google itself didn't archive those posts, anonymous
    >posts would still go to thousands of other usenet servers around the
    >world (including other servers with large archives) and as soon as
    >someone posted a reply, THAT post would go to Google and be archived
    >there. So getting Google to stop posting them to their archive would
    >not really change the fact that the item was posted and widely
    >distributed, to be easily seen by anyone with internet access.

    First, I agree with everything you've said. But I think the point you
    may have missed is that the 'slanderous' poster is using Google to
    generate the posts. Ryadia (hopefully) isn't targeting Google just
    because they happen to archive the posts.

    Usenet has a problem with Google. They allow any idiot to set up a
    Google account and then start posting to usenet. This needs to stop.
    If it takes a few lawsuits, then so be it.

    --
    Owamanga!
  23. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "JC Dill" <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote in message

    > You are going to waste a lot of money and lose. Your QC (whatever
    > that is).......<

    Ah, in the UK, 'QC' can either mean a Queen's Counsel (a Lawyer with
    considerably higher qualifications than a mundane 'Solicitor') or a brand of
    cheap sherry.

    In this case, one wonders whether all this nonsense isn't fuelled by an
    excess of the latter.....
  24. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
    > Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I get it. The individual is an 'information content provider'
    >>
    >> So, he as a 'user' of the interactive computer service is also
    >> protected by claiming that another 'information content provider'
    >> (anyone on the internet) provided the libel.
    >
    > Of course; if someone else posted it, he's not responsible.
    >
    >> This must make it virtually impossible for a celebrity to bring about
    >> a liability case relating to the internet... I can always find
    >> *someone* else that said that nasty thing about Michael Jackson before
    >> I did. Another 'information content provider' that I'm just repeating.
    >
    > It doesn't work that way, and I think you know it.
    >
    > If you say "Michael Jackson diddles little boys" it doesn't matter if
    > someone else said it first. If you say "The National Enquirer reported
    > yesterday that Michael Jackson diddles little boys" that's a different
    > statement entirely.
    >
    > --
    > Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com

    National colloquialism's must surely play a part here?

    In the UK, for instance, 'diddling' someone usually means swindling them
    (like the camera manufacturers who charge us nearly twice the price of
    identical products on sale to the American market)

    Thus, if Michael Jackson diddled little boys, that would make him a pretty
    low sort of person - but certainly not a grotesque gender challenged sexual
    predator with a peculiar chemically concocted complexion who conveys the
    impression that he has just emerged from a coffin on the set of a low budget
    film about the un-dead.

    Which of course, Mr Jackson isn't, wasn't, didn't and never could be.
    Honestly.
  25. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > He key part here I believe is:
    >
    > "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be
    > treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by
    > another information content provider."
    >
    > This doesn't save Google. Because the user involved holds a posting
    > account directly with them (Google), so there was no other information
    > content provider involved. They can't hide behind this.

    How is Google not an interactive computer service?
  26. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,news.groups (More info?)

    Corporations like Google protect the criminal's own illegimate rights.
    Ethical is absent when it comes to partake money and greed in this
    world.
    Society crumbles when it abandons universal cannons of ethics and moral
    values.

    For six years or so I have been stalked myself by an evil individual
    from Asia by posting anonymous diffamatory messages and spreading lies
    about me and posting my old personal home address along with it. Google
    or Yahoo do not care at all!.. All they care is their profits and
    corporate revenues. All they need to do is to ban the anon ids and have
    filters that prohibit foul and offensive language.
    You may think that law and justice are part of a so called civilized
    world.But There is not much difference between the wild west and the
    internet.

    Lionel wrote:
    > [Posted, & also emailed to Douglas McDonald]
    >
    > Kibo informs me that Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> stated that:
    > >Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google
    as the
    > >> publisher of slander and defamation.
    >
    > Great work, Douglas. :)
    > Maybe a court case will convince Google to start enforcing their
    > terms-of-service, & to assign a technical staffer to secure their
    > service from abuse by their users.
    >
    > I would love to take you up on your generous offer. Would you please
    > email me to tell me what I need to do?
    >
    > Given that you're already dipping into your wallet for a lawyer, one
    > really useful thing you might consider doing would be to ask him/her
    > draw up some form of legal notice that a victim could fax or
    snail-mail
    > (via registered post) to Google, each time one of us is forged or
    > defamed by their user, asking them to cancel the posts concerned, &
    > delete the originating account, per their terms of service. This
    would
    > either cause them to actually deal with the problem instead of
    ignoring
    > it, or would give us a huge pile of court evidence that Google have
    been
    > *knowingly* enabling defamation & forgeries by their users.
    >
    > >You really want a Usenet provider to be legally considered the
    publisher
    > >of its users' posts? Really? Because I can almost guarantee that
    if you
    > >are successful, almost all providers will disallow all posting, that
    being
    > >the only conceivable way to protect themselves legally.
    >
    > I am not a lawyer, (nor do I play one on TV), but I imagine that
    simply
    > making a reasonable effort to enforce their TOS - rather than
    ignoring
    > it they way they currently do - would be sufficient to provide them,
    (or
    > any other news provider) with a 'good faith' defence against
    defamation
    > or libel suits.
    >
    > > Luckily, although
    > >UK law is a bit silly about this,
    >
    > Actually, Douglas & I are both Australians, although it's true that
    our
    > legal system is very similar to the British system.
    >
    > > I doubt you'll be successful under US
    > >law, so we probably don't have much to worry about from you.
    >
    > So far, both Australian & British courts have taken the attitude
    that,
    > for the purposes of libel / defamation law, website operators &
    Usenet
    > news services are considered to be worldwide 'publishers'. As I
    > understand it, the argument is that (for example), if an Australian
    is
    > defamed or libelled via a website that's accessable to the general
    > public in Australia, then an offence has, by definition, taken place
    in
    > Australia, & is consequently within the jurisdiction of Australian
    > courts.
    > As for enforcing any judgement we might obtain from an Australian
    court,
    > I suspect that the solution would be to track down any corporate
    > presence that Google Ltd might have in Australia, & make the initial
    > case against them, as representatives of the American parent company.

    > \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda
    est

  27. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Frank ess wrote:

    > If you want to be known as "The Guy Who Sued Google© And Won", vain
    > hope; if you don't mind being "Another Nice Guy Who Flirts With Reality
    > But Not Very Seriously", carry on. More power to you, but mind your
    > health. You're on the road to Ulcer, Stroke, and Heart Attack Country.
    >
    > Resp'y,

    You all seem to miss one very valid point here.
    Google are immune from action just as long as they don't *publish* the
    work of people slandering others. Now if Google kept their web forum as
    just that, I wouldn't have a case but they don't. They recompile all
    those posts made on their service and then publish it on news groups.
    This, I'm told makes them as libel for slander as any newspaper is.

    Doug
  28. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    > You all seem to miss one very valid point here.
    > Google are immune from action just as long as they don't *publish* the
    > work of people slandering others. Now if Google kept their web forum as
    > just that, I wouldn't have a case but they don't. They recompile all those
    > posts made on their service and then publish it on news groups. This, I'm
    > told makes them as libel for slander as any newspaper is.<

    ----

    You would do well to consider the matter thoroughly before wasting the cost
    of yet another motor car on this futile pursuit.

    Google most certainly do *not* publish anything on newsgroups - all they do
    is maintain a web presence that harvests and/or forwards the Usenet posts of
    others.

    In fact, if you're going to sue Google for anything, make it an action for
    copyright infringement - since this post (like millions of others) is
    destined to end up on their web server without my permission being sought or
    obtained.

    Usenet itself is a barely tangible thing - where does it exist?, on the
    servers of your ISP?, or mine?, or in the downloaded posts contained on
    millions of computers world-wide?

    If Google allow you access to this ethereal network they cannot, by any sane
    definition, be accused of publishing martial - any more than a bus company
    could be accused of publishing pornography if you hopped on the number 22 to
    pop into town in order to purchase a copy of 'Readers Wives -Hot, Hot
    Hot!!!' (don't buy the February issue, btw - it's disgusting!)

    FWIW, my own thoughts are that any man who lavishes the cost of new car on
    pursuing a Usenet troll has far too much spare cash, and [ii] far too
    much spare time - and any lawyer with an ounce of integrity would point that
    out to you.
  29. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <36pv0aF546s3gU1@individual.net>, Ryadia
    <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > You all seem to miss one very valid point here.
    > Google are immune from action just as long as they don't *publish* the
    > work of people slandering others. Now if Google kept their web forum as
    > just that, I wouldn't have a case but they don't. They recompile all
    > those posts made on their service and then publish it on news groups.
    > This, I'm told makes them as libel for slander as any newspaper is.

    I think that is an interesting theory. What the heck if you have the
    money and a lawyer to test the theory I think it will be an interesting
    test case, even if you lose it.

    --
    Charles
  30. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You all seem to miss one very valid point here.
    > Google are immune from action just as long as they don't *publish* the
    > work of people slandering others. Now if Google kept their web forum as
    > just that, I wouldn't have a case but they don't. They recompile all those
    > posts made on their service and then publish it on news groups. This, I'm
    > told makes them as libel for slander as any newspaper is.

    Google provides access to Usenet and it archives Usenet postings. It is not
    akin to a newspaper.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Charles wrote:
    > In article <36pv0aF546s3gU1@individual.net>, Ryadia
    > <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> You all seem to miss one very valid point here.
    >> Google are immune from action just as long as they don't *publish*
    >> the work of people slandering others. Now if Google kept their web
    >> forum as just that, I wouldn't have a case but they don't. They
    >> recompile all those posts made on their service and then publish it
    >> on news groups. This, I'm told makes them as libel for slander as
    >> any newspaper is.
    >
    > I think that is an interesting theory. What the heck if you have the
    > money and a lawyer to test the theory I think it will be an
    > interesting test case, even if you lose it.

    You aren't by chance a "QC" are you?
  32. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Ryan Robbins" <redbird007@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > "Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > You all seem to miss one very valid point here.
    > > Google are immune from action just as long as they don't *publish* the
    > > work of people slandering others. Now if Google kept their web forum as
    > > just that, I wouldn't have a case but they don't. They recompile all
    those
    > > posts made on their service and then publish it on news groups. This,
    I'm
    > > told makes them as libel for slander as any newspaper is.
    >
    > Google provides access to Usenet and it archives Usenet postings. It is
    not
    > akin to a newspaper.

    Google makes it too easy for people to post. If they (Google) made use of a
    verifiable e-mail header in the post headings there would be next to no
    abuse. The determined will find a way via anon remailers and mail2news
    gateways, but they would be using Google.
  33. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <mLKdnfY_2YOndprfRVn-ig@giganews.com>, Frank ess
    <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote:

    > You aren't by chance a "QC" are you?

    Nope. I think he is wasting his time and money on this suit. I don't
    think he should do it, but since he seems intent on doing it, it will
    be interesting to see how far it gets.

    --
    Charles
  34. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > I was just making the example as simple as possible. Airing tapes is,
    > as you say, an editorial decision and usually made with more than one
    > source of information. (There was a similar case here where a newspaper
    > quoted something said on air by a former Premier (provincial first
    > minister). The Premier sued the radio station and the newspaper. He
    > lost against the newspaper as it was just reporting what the radio
    > station said (and attributed it to the radio station)).
    >
    > As to 'slander' v. 'libel', it could be argued that the broadcast of a
    > recorded utterance is the broadcast of a 'document' and thus libel. (If
    > "live" then it is slander.) But that's just my opinion ... I have no
    > idea how civil courts interpret it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan.

    Google take all the post to their forum and then publish them in the
    electronic sense to news groups. That is the difference between them and
    a newsgroup host.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Google take all the post to their forum and then publish them in the
    > electronic sense to news groups. That is the difference between them and
    > a newsgroup host.

    That's idiotic.

    The difference between Google and a Usenet provider is that Google provides
    a web interface. They provide the newsreader as well as the service. That's
    it.

    --
    Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
  36. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    > publisher of slander and defamation.
    >
    > For too long now this firm has sought to ignore common courtesy and
    > continues to allow anonymous and defamatory posting to news groups from
    > their facilities. I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from
    > Google to join with me in a law suite. I will cover your legal costs up
    > to the court date.

    Since the case will probably get decided under U.S. law, even in
    Australia, you might want to look at 47 USC 230 before spending your
    money.

    http://www.techlawjournal.com/courts/zeran/47usc230.htm

    --
    Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com
  37. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Ryadia wrote:

    > Google take all the post to their forum and then publish them in the
    > electronic sense to news groups. That is the difference between them and
    > a newsgroup host.

    "Google" doesn't 'do' anything other than automatically forward posts to usenet
    and/or store messages in Google-groups for retirieval. There is nobody
    involved. The material is originated by someone not associated with Google.
    Those are the people you need to track down. Your lawyer should get a court
    order to get Google (or better, the offenders ISP) to reveal who they are.

    I'm not saying you shouldn't persue this, I'm saying you should persue the
    originator. Google is just the messenger.

    Cheers,
    Alan

  38. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:20:43 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I get it. The individual is an 'information content provider'

    In the context of Google, yes. So you can't sue Google because _they_
    didn't make the statement, it came from one of Google's 'information
    content provider's (a Google user).

    >So, he as a 'user' of the interactive computer service is also
    >protected by claiming that another 'information content provider'
    >(anyone on the internet) provided the libel.

    Not unless that user had some mechanism in place to perform "blind",
    indiscriminate reposting of the information from that provider (i.e.
    someone who has set up an automatic digest-posting to a newsgroup from a
    mailing list). If a user _chooses_ to make a deliberate post, even if the
    information came from another source, they have "published" that info. (As
    a later respondent comments, posting "The XYZ Media Corp reported that
    '...<some contentious comment>...'" _might_ be a different case).

    The key concept (as I understand it) is _control_: if you/an organisation
    has no control over the information, then you can't be held liable for its
    content (though you might be held liable for not _having_ control, but
    that's probably a different question).

    >This must make it virtually impossible for a celebrity to bring about
    >a liability case relating to the internet... I can always find
    >*someone* else that said that nasty thing about Michael Jackson before
    >I did. Another 'information content provider' that I'm just repeating.
    >
    >Cool.

    Regards,
  39. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 05:50:44 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Google take all the post to their forum and then publish them in the
    >electronic sense to news groups. That is the difference between them and
    >a newsgroup host.

    I'm appreciative of the position you're in, and of your desire to "do
    something about it", but, as others have said, I do think you're getting
    possibly unreliable advice about "going for" Google.

    What you see as a "Google forum" is really nothing more than a web-based
    interface to the news groups of usenet. It isn't "something separate", the
    contents of which are "republished" to usenet: it is just another way to
    read from/post to usenet. They are no more "republishing" than is my copy
    of Agent when it sends this post to my ISP's news server.

    Almost certainly usenet would be a better place if Google placed tighter
    controls over who can post, and you'd probably get more encouragement from
    others if you took them to task over this (I don't know what, if any, law
    you would base an action on, but I'm almost sure it wouldn't be for libel).

    <covering-my-back-disclaimer>
    I am not a lawyer, just a drifter through usenet. The above opinion is
    based on the situation as I see it, but is offered "for information only".
    </covering-my-back-disclaimer>

    Regards,
  40. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 03:00:00 GMT, "Ryan Robbins"
    <redbird007@verizon.net> wrote:

    >"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> He key part here I believe is:
    >>
    >> "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be
    >> treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by
    >> another information content provider."
    >>
    >> This doesn't save Google. Because the user involved holds a posting
    >> account directly with them (Google), so there was no other information
    >> content provider involved. They can't hide behind this.
    >
    >How is Google not an interactive computer service?

    Google is, but the law states the information has to come to them
    (google) via *another* interactive computer service. Apparently the
    human poster meets that description. This prevents the guys at google
    outright libeling anybody just because they are a interactive computer
    service - the libel has to come from somewhere else first to be
    protected.

    --
    Owamanga!
  41. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,news.groups (More info?)

    On 8 Feb 2005 05:12:15 -0800, "Rigo Muniz" <bengaltiger14@juno.com>
    wrote:

    >Corporations like Google protect the criminal's own illegimate rights.
    >Ethical is absent when it comes to partake money and greed in this
    >world.
    >Society crumbles when it abandons universal cannons of ethics and moral
    >values.
    >
    >For six years or so I have been stalked myself by an evil individual
    >from Asia by posting anonymous diffamatory messages and spreading lies
    >about me and posting my old personal home address along with it. Google
    >or Yahoo do not care at all!.. All they care is their profits and
    >corporate revenues. All they need to do is to ban the anon ids and have
    >filters that prohibit foul and offensive language.
    >You may think that law and justice are part of a so called civilized
    >world.But There is not much difference between the wild west and the
    >internet.

    Well I don't care if they only go after you. It's when they start
    screwing up the NG for *everyone* that I have a problem.

    <hides under desk>

    --
    Owamanga!
  42. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,news.groups (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:27:47 +1100, Lionel <nop@alt.net> wrote to
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems and news.groups:

    >[Xposted to news.groups, where this is more on-topic. Followups set
    >there as well, as I don't wish to contribute to the current swamp of
    >sewerage.]

    <snip>

    Actually, this is off-topic for news.groups. It's on-topic over on
    news.admin.net-abuse.usenet or news.admin.net-abuse.misc. If you have a
    policy change to suggest, then news.admin.net-abuse.policy would be
    better than either of those groups.

    Followups left set to news.groups; I'll let the earlier poster re-set
    them more appropriately.

    --
    Rob Kelk
    Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- wxfei -qbg- pbz

    "Horace" <horace@sendmespam.com> wrote in message
    > Ah, in the UK, 'QC' can either mean a Queen's Counsel (a Lawyer with
    > considerably higher qualifications than a mundane 'Solicitor') or a brand
    > of cheap sherry.

    And, based on its merits, this legal action, if it exists other than in the
    mind of the OP, will wind up in the WC.
  44. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,news.groups (More info?)

    [Posted, & also emailed to Douglas McDonald]

    Kibo informs me that Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> stated that:
    >Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    >> publisher of slander and defamation.

    Great work, Douglas. :)
    Maybe a court case will convince Google to start enforcing their
    terms-of-service, & to assign a technical staffer to secure their
    service from abuse by their users.

    I would love to take you up on your generous offer. Would you please
    email me to tell me what I need to do?

    Given that you're already dipping into your wallet for a lawyer, one
    really useful thing you might consider doing would be to ask him/her to
    draw up some form of legal notice that a victim could fax or snail-mail
    (via registered post) to Google, each time one of us is forged or
    defamed by their user, asking them to cancel the posts concerned, & to
    delete the originating account, per their terms of service. This would
    either cause them to actually deal with the problem instead of ignoring
    it, or would give us a huge pile of court evidence that Google have been
    *knowingly* enabling defamation & forgeries by their users.

    >You really want a Usenet provider to be legally considered the publisher
    >of its users' posts? Really? Because I can almost guarantee that if you
    >are successful, almost all providers will disallow all posting, that being
    >the only conceivable way to protect themselves legally.

    I am not a lawyer, (nor do I play one on TV), but I imagine that simply
    making a reasonable effort to enforce their TOS - rather than ignoring
    it they way they currently do - would be sufficient to provide them, (or
    any other news provider) with a 'good faith' defence against defamation
    or libel suits.

    > Luckily, although
    >UK law is a bit silly about this,

    Actually, Douglas & I are both Australians, although it's true that our
    legal system is very similar to the British system.

    > I doubt you'll be successful under US
    >law, so we probably don't have much to worry about from you.

    So far, both Australian & British courts have taken the attitude that,
    for the purposes of libel / defamation law, website operators & Usenet
    news services are considered to be worldwide 'publishers'. As I
    understand it, the argument is that (for example), if an Australian is
    defamed or libelled via a website that's accessable to the general
    public in Australia, then an offence has, by definition, taken place in
    Australia, & is consequently within the jurisdiction of Australian
    courts.
    As for enforcing any judgement we might obtain from an Australian court,
    I suspect that the solution would be to track down any corporate
    presence that Google Ltd might have in Australia, & make the initial
    case against them, as representatives of the American parent company.

  45. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,news.groups (More info?)

    On Tuesday, in article
    <c2nh011a863rc3i71e7nrlfhpqs0v685o1@4ax.com>
    nomail@hotmail.com "Owamanga" wrote:

    > Surely Google would need a physical presence in Australia for this to
    > work?
    >
    > ...eg, the US will sink any ships heading this way with Armed
    > Australian Bailiffs on board.
    >
    > Even if you do win, you can't get the money, so why bother filing?

    It seems to have escaped your notice that google.com.au exists, and
    certainly appears to be located Down-under. As such, it could be
    bankrupted; what would the SEC think about /that/ (they already seem to
    have a rather circumspect attitude towards Google)?

    Ditto for google.co.uk.

    --
    Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk@dsl.co.uk
    "Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu

    Kibo informs me that "Michael Benveniste" <mhb-offer@clearether.com>
    stated that:

    >"Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> For too long now this firm has sought to ignore common courtesy and
    >> continues to allow anonymous and defamatory posting to news groups from
    >> their facilities. I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from
    >> Google to join with me in a law suite. I will cover your legal costs up
    >> to the court date.
    >
    >Since the case will probably get decided under U.S. law, even in
    >Australia,

    Sorry, but no. Australian courts have /already/ ruled against an
    American company for defaming an Australian citizen on their website, &
    the verdict held:

    [Defamation on the Internet: Joseph Gutnick v Dow Jones]
    <http://www.murdoch.edu.au/elaw/issues/v11n3/beyer113_text.html>

    Coincidentally, Mr Gutnick lauched, & won, his case against Dow Jones
    right here in my home city. Maybe I should give him a call & get the
    name of his laywer...

  47. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,news.groups (More info?)

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 02:04:05 +1100, Lionel <nop@alt.net> wrote:

    >Kibo informs me that "Michael Benveniste" <mhb-offer@clearether.com>
    >stated that:
    >
    >>"Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> For too long now this firm has sought to ignore common courtesy and
    >>> continues to allow anonymous and defamatory posting to news groups from
    >>> their facilities. I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from
    >>> Google to join with me in a law suite. I will cover your legal costs up
    >>> to the court date.
    >>
    >>Since the case will probably get decided under U.S. law, even in
    >>Australia,
    >
    >Sorry, but no. Australian courts have /already/ ruled against an
    >American company for defaming an Australian citizen on their website, &
    >the verdict held:
    >
    >[Defamation on the Internet: Joseph Gutnick v Dow Jones]
    ><http://www.murdoch.edu.au/elaw/issues/v11n3/beyer113_text.html>
    >
    >Coincidentally, Mr Gutnick lauched, & won, his case against Dow Jones
    >right here in my home city. Maybe I should give him a call & get the
    >name of his laywer...

    Surely Google would need a physical presence in Australia for this to
    work?

    ....eg, the US will sink any ships heading this way with Armed
    Australian Bailiffs on board.

    Even if you do win, you can't get the money, so why bother filing?

    --
    Owamanga!
  48. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Mr. MacDonald,

    I'm not sure how to respond to such a poorly-worded message.

    Your charge that Google has "sought to ignore common courtesy" is a
    bit defamatory in itself, since I really don't think you'll ever be
    able to prove that their board of directors sat around a table and
    said "Okay, we need to find a way to ignore common courtesy, so let's
    come up with something."

    Also, it is called a "lawsuit," not a "law suite." (By the way, "news
    groups" are usually referred to as "newsgroups" these days.)

    And it seems spurious that you are motivated by the notion that
    they've been doing this "for too long now." Shouldn't you be more
    bothered by the idea that they are doing it AT ALL, or perhaps the
    fact (which you would have to prove) that they've been given fair
    warning and a reasonable time period to take their own corrective
    steps? You should be more specific.

    Lastly, to give any credibility to this whatsoever, you should publish
    the name of the law firm that is assisting you -- not your personal
    Hotmail address. Otherwise, it's just another empty rant.

    HD

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:47:14 +1000, Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Today, I am instructing my lawyers to take action against Google as the
    >publisher of slander and defamation.
    >
    >For too long now this firm has sought to ignore common courtesy and
    >continues to allow anonymous and defamatory posting to news groups from
    >their facilities. I urge anyone who has been slandered in a post from
    >Google to join with me in a law suite. I will cover your legal costs up
    >to the court date.
    >
    >Douglas MacDonald
  49. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > "Google" doesn't 'do' anything other than automatically forward posts to
    > usenet and/or store messages in Google-groups for retirieval. There is
    > nobody involved. The material is originated by someone not associated
    > with Google. Those are the people you need to track down. Your lawyer
    > should get a court order to get Google (or better, the offenders ISP) to
    > reveal who they are.
    >
    > I'm not saying you shouldn't persue this, I'm saying you should persue
    > the originator. Google is just the messenger.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    You've missed it again. The word forward is the key.
    Technically speaking HTTP is not NNTP and therefore to accept anonymous
    posts in one protocol and on one port (http) and convert it to another
    protocol then forward it to Usenet hosts on a different port is
    (according to my $760 legal opinion) the modern day equivilant of
    publishing and delivering a 'publication' for the purpose of
    communicating information.

    Most of the posters who offer their opinions on such diverse topics as
    my mental health and the hungry starving children of the world needing
    my money more than lawyers, have never actually put up the bucks to find
    out if their opinion is valid or not. I have.

    I dare say the ongoing research my lawyers are doing will sooner or
    later turn up some identity of who actually controls Google. So far it's
    a garden path waltz through many countries, local corporations and
    holding companies. You can't just sue "Google".

    They (whoever the ultimate owners of Google are) have created a
    minefield of deception to make it very hard for anyone seeking to do
    this. The discovery process of who actually to server the documents on
    is what stops most people due to it's cost. It'll have to get might
    expensive to stop this little Aussie.

    I really do appreciate all the cross chatter from everyone. What has
    prompted this quest for justice is the fact my on-line store was
    attacked by this cretin with allegations of fraud and theft of credit
    card numbers. My wife (A licensed gaming officer) lost her job when
    someone showed one of the post to her boss and I just downright don't
    agree with anyone doing this because I criticized their photography.

    Hell, enough of you lot have had your say about me and my opinions,
    methods and techniques. We're all fair game here but not when a person
    takes sniper shots at you from behind a corporation offering to conceal
    sources to all and sundry then refuses to even provide a process for
    complaint, much less listen to any. It has taken nearly 9 months to
    contact and interview everyone who ever bought from my store before I
    took it down. I really don't care if it takes another 9 years to find
    the bastard, it'll happen.

    Governments hell bent on decency instead of war should be doing what I
    am. Unfortunately no country except China seems to have moved fast
    enough to formulate laws to control this sort of thing. It is fortunate
    in this instance that in Australia at any rate, laws do exist which can
    be used by individuals to defend themselves and the Free Trade Agreement
    we have with the USA makes it easier to cross national legal boundaries.

    Doug

SLR Photo Google Systems Cameras