Sign in with
Your question

Screen Resolution forcing FPS to drop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 10, 2012 8:34:49 AM

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a 24" monitor that runs on a 1920x1080 resolution. Was purchased to enable me to set-up a eyefinity of 3 monitors. However, I ran a game and immediately noticed that the game was horribly choppy. I tested this on other games as well and the same results followed. I can't believe that my hardware wouldn't be able to handle such a resolution, so is there some settings or something that is hindering the performance?

Some things I've googled and tried:

AA/AF/Vsync in CCC being turned off
Lowering resolution on desktop (this works but why lower resolution on a big monitor?)
Lowest settings in games

My hardware:

i5 2500k OC @ 4.0ghz
HIS Radeon 6870 1GB
2x 2GB G. Skill DDR3-1333
2x 4GB Corsair DDR3-1333

Please help!
a b C Monitor
September 10, 2012 9:06:24 AM

Are you doing one monitor or 3? A 6870 can handle 1080p but its not about to run 3 of them well, especially with only a gig of vram
m
l
September 10, 2012 9:55:31 AM

Oh man, I'm actually only running two right now. The other being a 1440x900 resolution screen. I haven't even set-up the third one yet... That is some seriously saddening news!!

I tried running just the 1920x1080 by itself and still experience some serious stutters. I bought this card a while back thinking that it'd be unstoppable! :(  Haha, what card would be able to run three monitors without flaw then? Or should I try SLI??
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
September 10, 2012 10:23:11 AM

Ok. I was thinking 3 1080p displays. So you are going for 4,800×900 in eyefinity? At that res a 1GB might hurt you. But it depends on the game I guess. My friend does a similar res for racing Sims on a 5770 so.

What game are you testing with? Have you tried a different one? What is your FPS?

you can see a 6870 should handle BF3 on high at 1080p pretty well. So I think there is an issue. Get that fixed, then see if it can handle your eyefinity setup.
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-per...

have you updated drivers?
what is your PSU?
What is your GPU load and temp in game? (use gpuz and check log to file)

m
l
September 11, 2012 12:06:00 AM

I've tested so far DotA 2 and CS 1.6. In 1.6, I was frequently getting the max fps(100) but would occasionally drop down to 40-50 when more pixels are drawn up. In DotA 2 I was receiving only 10-20 fps accompanied with massive delays in click movements and skills, etc.

And note: this is happening with just the 1920x1080 monitor plugged in.

I too believe it's strange that my gpu wouldn't be able to handle this change. Before this, I was running a dual-monitor combination with the 1400x900 monitor accompanied by a 1080x720 monitor- and my gpu was able to run most games flawlessly.

I have updated my drivers to the most recent one. I have a 610w PC Power & Cooling PSU. My GPU load/temp during DotA 2 is practically always 100%/42-48C. My GPU load/temp during CS is 34%/42-48C as well.

Could it be my PSU isn't supplying enough power?
m
l
a b C Monitor
September 11, 2012 4:14:47 AM

PC Power and cooling are very good. And that's plenty of power. If it weren't it'd crash. And if its at 100% it shouldn't be suffering on FPS I'd think, although I don't have access to Dota 2. You were actually pushing MORE pixels before than with the single one. Very very strange. Maybe do a total uninstall and clean reinstall of the AMD drivers.

Are you seeing any CPU throttling? And a hail Mary, pull the gskill ram. 8GB is plenty and I.have seen one ram mismatch that passed memtest cause problems.

I'm out of ideas besides that. I have had to do a complete windows reinstall once on a new gpu. Not a big deal to me. But if all you did was change monitors, and have lower total res... Really makes no sense... If you go back to the 2 1440x900 does it stop?
m
l
September 11, 2012 8:49:04 AM

unksol said:
PC Power and cooling are very good. And that's plenty of power. If it weren't it'd crash. And if its at 100% it shouldn't be suffering on FPS I'd think, although I don't have access to Dota 2. You were actually pushing MORE pixels before than with the single one. Very very strange. Maybe do a total uninstall and clean reinstall of the AMD drivers.

Are you seeing any CPU throttling? And a hail Mary, pull the gskill ram. 8GB is plenty and I.have seen one ram mismatch that passed memtest cause problems.

I'm out of ideas besides that. I have had to do a complete windows reinstall once on a new gpu. Not a big deal to me. But if all you did was change monitors, and have lower total res... Really makes no sense... If you go back to the 2 1440x900 does it stop?

I actually did a total uninstallment when you suggested to update my drivers and that didn't change anything :( . CPU load rises a bit while in game but that is about it. I'll give the pull of ram a try.. if that doesn't work I think I'll have to try the windows reinstall as well.. unless someone else has a solution or any more ideas! Yes, if I return to the two monitors my FPS in dota 2 hits the maximum of 120 in game. I also saw that the GPU load while on just the two is completely sitting at zero. I tried OCing my CPU to 4.5ghz but that didn't change anything at all. Starting to lose hope!!
m
l
a b C Monitor
September 12, 2012 3:55:30 AM

You shouldn't see gpu load of zero. Is the program bugged ? are you using gpuz? This honestly makes zero sense to me... A monitor shouldn't have,any affect on the system, beside resolution. 2,073,600 pixels on the new. Vs. 2,592,000on the old. Makes no sense

Also I tend to check this at night so sorry of it seems delayed
m
l
!