Screen Resolution forcing FPS to drop

prequel

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hey everyone. I recently purchased a 24" monitor that runs on a 1920x1080 resolution. Was purchased to enable me to set-up a eyefinity of 3 monitors. However, I ran a game and immediately noticed that the game was horribly choppy. I tested this on other games as well and the same results followed. I can't believe that my hardware wouldn't be able to handle such a resolution, so is there some settings or something that is hindering the performance?

Some things I've googled and tried:

AA/AF/Vsync in CCC being turned off
Lowering resolution on desktop (this works but why lower resolution on a big monitor?)
Lowest settings in games

My hardware:

i5 2500k OC @ 4.0ghz
HIS Radeon 6870 1GB
2x 2GB G. Skill DDR3-1333
2x 4GB Corsair DDR3-1333

Please help!

prequel

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Oh man, I'm actually only running two right now. The other being a 1440x900 resolution screen. I haven't even set-up the third one yet... That is some seriously saddening news!!

I tried running just the 1920x1080 by itself and still experience some serious stutters. I bought this card a while back thinking that it'd be unstoppable! :( Haha, what card would be able to run three monitors without flaw then? Or should I try SLI??

Ok. I was thinking 3 1080p displays. So you are going for 4,800×900 in eyefinity? At that res a 1GB might hurt you. But it depends on the game I guess. My friend does a similar res for racing Sims on a 5770 so.

What game are you testing with? Have you tried a different one? What is your FPS?

you can see a 6870 should handle BF3 on high at 1080p pretty well. So I think there is an issue. Get that fixed, then see if it can handle your eyefinity setup.
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-8.html

have you updated drivers?
what is your PSU?
What is your GPU load and temp in game? (use gpuz and check log to file)

prequel

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I've tested so far DotA 2 and CS 1.6. In 1.6, I was frequently getting the max fps(100) but would occasionally drop down to 40-50 when more pixels are drawn up. In DotA 2 I was receiving only 10-20 fps accompanied with massive delays in click movements and skills, etc.

And note: this is happening with just the 1920x1080 monitor plugged in.

I too believe it's strange that my gpu wouldn't be able to handle this change. Before this, I was running a dual-monitor combination with the 1400x900 monitor accompanied by a 1080x720 monitor- and my gpu was able to run most games flawlessly.

I have updated my drivers to the most recent one. I have a 610w PC Power & Cooling PSU. My GPU load/temp during DotA 2 is practically always 100%/42-48C. My GPU load/temp during CS is 34%/42-48C as well.

Could it be my PSU isn't supplying enough power?

PC Power and cooling are very good. And that's plenty of power. If it weren't it'd crash. And if its at 100% it shouldn't be suffering on FPS I'd think, although I don't have access to Dota 2. You were actually pushing MORE pixels before than with the single one. Very very strange. Maybe do a total uninstall and clean reinstall of the AMD drivers.

Are you seeing any CPU throttling? And a hail Mary, pull the gskill ram. 8GB is plenty and I.have seen one ram mismatch that passed memtest cause problems.

I'm out of ideas besides that. I have had to do a complete windows reinstall once on a new gpu. Not a big deal to me. But if all you did was change monitors, and have lower total res... Really makes no sense... If you go back to the 2 1440x900 does it stop?

prequel

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

I actually did a total uninstallment when you suggested to update my drivers and that didn't change anything :(. CPU load rises a bit while in game but that is about it. I'll give the pull of ram a try.. if that doesn't work I think I'll have to try the windows reinstall as well.. unless someone else has a solution or any more ideas! Yes, if I return to the two monitors my FPS in dota 2 hits the maximum of 120 in game. I also saw that the GPU load while on just the two is completely sitting at zero. I tried OCing my CPU to 4.5ghz but that didn't change anything at all. Starting to lose hope!!

You shouldn't see gpu load of zero. Is the program bugged ? are you using gpuz? This honestly makes zero sense to me... A monitor shouldn't have,any affect on the system, beside resolution. 2,073,600 pixels on the new. Vs. 2,592,000on the old. Makes no sense

Also I tend to check this at night so sorry of it seems delayed

Spun101

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017