New Gaming System ~ $1200AUD Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyred

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
G'day,

My name is Jade, I'm a longterm watcher and first time poster. I'm about to purchase a new computer, I like to game, and running VMware sometimes, occasionally fiddle with different applications e.g video editing however, gaming is the mindset here.

I have setup a build so far
https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=107184&action=wish_lists

Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD Retail Box $99.00
Antec KUHLER H2O 620 CPU Cooler In stock $79.00
OCZ Technology ZT Series 650W Power Supply $99.00
CoolerMaster CM Storm Scout 2 Black $109.00
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB In stock $335.00
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $69.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard In stock $139.00
Intel Core i5 3570K In stock $233.00

I've also copied and pasted it above. What i hope you chaps can help me with is, just general advice and also. a few specific questions.

1. Will this setup fit into that case?
2. I really like the prospect of overclocking to 4ghz and over, i've heard 4.5ghz can be done comfortably perhaps? I don't know how reputable this advice was.
3. I can't break a $1,200 budget. Although i would really like a little pizaz out of my system, and i think watercooling adds that look i want, so im generally inclined to try water cooling all in one kits.
4. Thoughts on the motherboard? and RAM ? Will the ram fit ?

Finally, 5. Does anyone have one of these Samsung 830's and are they any good? i opted for it because of budget constraints.

I have to buy it from this place, or scorptech.com.au.

Thanks for advice that can be presented.

Solution

- actually the gtx 680 is a waste of money since the 7970 rape it.
- the corsair vengeance is a great ram and overclocking the ram is useless anyway.
- read more about the vertex 4 !!!
- the noctua...

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
1- yes this setup will fit into your case however at this price you can buy a better one like the nzxt phantom.
2- a 3570k with a proper z77 mobo and a nice aftermarket cooler can easily reach 4.5ghz.
3- water cooling is good however you can still trust air cooling like the noctua DH-14.
4- well (about motherboard) at your budget you can go for more trusty brands like gigabyte or asus but since gigabyte have all spec we need with a nice price i suggest going with the UD3H or even UD5H , ram you chose a pretty nice ram stick with it , and yes it will fit.
5 - i don't have the samsung 830 SSD but i tried the OCZ vertex 4 and they are insanely fast.

one more thing choose another psu like seasonic or xfx (quality psu's are much better)
these are my answers and Good luck :)

happyred

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks, for taking the time to reply.

I will try taking a look at the Nzxt Phantom, i went for that case because it has a carry handle, about the motherboard. What kinda differences will i see in changing motherboard? are they marginal ? What is the positives? I thought the ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 was highly regarded? I will definetly take a look at the vertex 4.

Thanks for your suggestions.

squirrelonfire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
1) The 660 TI is a waste of money, get the 680 or the 7970 for $100 more.
2) Corsair vengeance is a waste of money because you can't OC it. If you want to OC, get Dominator
3) Don't buy Vertex 4. It's the biggest trash with the fastest write/read speed. Many people in this forum chew out their vertex 4 in 3 months. The Samsung is a great HDD. If you got extra cash, get the 840 Pro, it just came out.
4) 3570k is a great choice, very cool CPU with max temp at 109C. Lot of room to OC.
5) And that D14 is noisy as hell. Get the water cooler.

happyred

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

I can't afford a better video card and still be able to get other parts to a decent standard. I am very much a nvidia man. As for the ram, it's probably the only component i don't plan on over clocking. I have heard good things about the Samsung 830 and the OCZ Vertex. However, in the end i've settled for the Samsung 830, (The 840 isn't stocked yet) I almost went with the i7-3770k then realized it was wasted on my purpose. I'm definitely sticking with water cooling.

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

- actually the gtx 680 is a waste of money since the 7970 rape it.
- the corsair vengeance is a great ram and overclocking the ram is useless anyway.
- read more about the vertex 4 !!!
- the noctua NH-D14 noise level is 19.8 - 12.6 dbA which is pretty silent however liquid cpu coolers like the h100 noise level is 22.0 - 39.0 dbA

if he is nvidia fan like me i would get the GTX 670 , and if you cant afford it you can stick with the gtx 660-non ti ( the difference between the ti and non ti in all games like from 4 to 8 fps )

Solution

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
well you have two choices :
1- to have a card with closed shred cooler like EVGA which has the blower that exhaust all the hot air outside your case and its negative side that it runs more hotter and louder a lil bit.

2- to have a card with a opened shred cooler like the Gigabyte which has the best temp. in the gpu markets also very great performance but its negative side that it spreads most of the hot air into your case.

about msi i wont risk my self with a card that has over-volt problem even if it is a rumor.

so Gigabyte - EVGA are the best options out there choose what suits you.

good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.