AMD driver has stopped responding and recovered from a serious error

icejohnny21

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hey guys i've looked everywhere and tried many many fixes for this problem but it keeps occuring. What happens is while im playing games, my screen would go black for a couple of seconds and i would have to restart the game and a box at the bottom right of the screen would say "Driver has stopped responding and recovered from a serious error".

My specs are:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.120401-1505)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP41T-UD3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3582MB RAM
Page File: 2641MB used, 4521MB available
VGA card: AMD gigabyte HD7850

Powersupply is a thermaltake 700Watt PSU.

I use to have a nvidia geforce 9800GT card and had the same errors so replaced it with this 7850, problem still persist. (though with my old video card the graphics would go crazy and change colours whereas with this one its just the black out). I replaced my old powersupply with this one, problem still persist. Ive reinstalled and updated all drivers, tried rolling back, used CC cleaner and driversweeper, problem still persist.

I've tried both overclocking and underclocking the graphics card and i still crash. I've tried changing the TDR but rather than a blackout i would get a full system lock up which would need a reboot. I've honestly tried everything and dont want to keep throwing money replacing random parts, can anyone help me out ?

icejohnny21

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hi, sorry my other thread i cant access it for some reason so i'll post again.

Ive had this error for ages and have tried many many things to fix it. The problem is while playing games my screen would go black for a couple of seconds and i would need to tab out and get a error message "driver has stopped responding and recovered from a serious error" I would hten need to close my game and start it again which becomes very very frustrating. The thing with this problem is its not constant at all, it happens very randomly, sometimes not happening at all and other times it would crash over and over again.
My specs are:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.120401-1505)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP41T-UD3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3582MB RAM
Page File: 2641MB used, 4521MB available
VGA: gigabyte HD AMD 7850 using CCC
Powersupply: thermaltake 700Watt
1TB hard drive

-The solutions ive already tried which have all failed. Replaced my old nvidia geforce 9800GT which use to get the same problem but nvidia instead of AMD.
-Replaced my old powersupply with this one.
-Tried uninstalling all drivers, updating drivers, rolling back, used CC cleaner/driversweeper all of that nothing works.
- Monitoring my computer tempurature and it all seems stable, doesnt ever spike that high, ~40c. All fans running normally.
-Tried overclocking and underclocking my graphics card (gpu core, memory clock)

I can run my games all on max settings and it runs smoothe but it just crashes randomly and only in games, when i am browsing, watching videos it is all fine.

Can someone please help me out ? ive tried everything

Dandelion Wine

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hi -

There is only ever one of four possibilities with this issue, and it's mind boggling to me that there is so little content online to support this. When this error message occurs, your system is attempting to clear out the memory cache and it can't do it in time.

80% of the time it's because of this: Nvidia and AMD make processors too, not just graphics cards. If it's Intel it's Nvidia, not AMD. If you have Intel processor and an AMD card, there will be very minor communication issues, and when you're playing an MMORPG (for instance), it can slow down (ever so slightly) the effort to clear the cache, and boom, your system goes down for about a second or two while it plays catch up, and then you're back in action, with the error message. So guess what: if your card is the opposing manufacturer of your processor... go out and buy the matching card. It's that freaking simple.

The rest of the time it's either:
1) you have bad memory. Not corrupted, just not high quality.
2) your system is too antiquated to keep up with the graphics card
3) you're missing some components of the OS and you need to reinstall, or there is a virus, or corruption, etc.

You can haul your rig into Best Buy, of all places, the geek squad, and they will be able to isolate which of these issues it is and help you resolve it.

I think the problem, here, is that most people don't want to accept that there is some money involved, they want to believe that they can run a simple update (in rare cases this works, in most cases it seems to be a fix and then it starts acting up again), and then "presto", no more issues. The bad news is, you'll usually have to either buy a new graphics card, replace the memory, or get a better computer. The good news is, it's almost always as simple as replacing your graphics card to match your processor (nvidia with nvidia, amd with amd, you can't mix coke and pepsi in this scenario.)

Dandelion Wine

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Couple of questions: did you ever buy used graphics cards? If so, I would say never ever do that. I know you had the 9800, and you'd think that would solve the problem since it's nvidia and you have an intel processor, but if you bought the card used you might want to reconsider. Consider getting something modern and brand new; go to best buy and drop 80 bucks or so on a nvidia 610gt (or something in that ball park). That way it's not a serious investment, and you can always return it if it doesn't work, and you'll know that answer well within the 30 day return policy. If it does work, just imagine how great that would be; you'll feel that it was 80 bucks well spent.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
no offence dandelion wine .. while some of that may be true there are also driver issues with games that are out there that still have not been resolved .. i can list a few games that were launched broken .. bullet storm .. had horrible driver support at launch ... legends of pegasus .. IS STILL a very broken game a lot of these developers release titles that are simply not ready for prime time just to get the game out of the door .. another one is duke nukem ... I am sure there are more titles .. the fact of the matter is you can fresh install windows 7 and it will help but its not the end all .. the guy above me leans more towards hardware but in the end .. its all about the software because even battle field 3 crashes for no apparent reason and it dose it on every ones system at some point and thats a AAA title .. go to the amd web site get the latest game profiles and install them onto your system it is a seperate install from the catalyst suite .. this will help with some of the odd ball issues you have .. there are so many titles out there and developers cant possibly test every configuration to promise the game will work with out bugs.

So which processors do Nvidia make and can you list both them and the places where they can be bought please.

Dandelion Wine

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

I wouldn't recommend buying a processor to match the video card, I would recommend buying a video card to match the processor, and I happen to use Best Buy because of the support they offer (Geek Squad). I know that part of the beauty of online forums is that you can find fixes for stuff without having to spend any money, but in this particular case, it's really rare that you don't have to at least buy a new graphics card, or upgrade the memory (the quality of the memory, not the quantity), or worse case scenario, get a better computer, or do something that is more time consuming, like reinstalling or repairing the OS. I would say, out of all the possibilities that involve spending money or excessive time, just buying a graphics card that matches your processor manufacturer is the best possible scenario to hope for, with this particular issue.

To the person who is blaming the games, this very specific error is not related to the game on any level, no way, it's related to your hardware, plain and simple. Yeah, a game can release a patch, and then all of a sudden you're having this specific issue, but it's not because of the game, it's because something in the patch causes a flair up of an already existing issue that you didn't know you had. In some cases, updating the drivers can actually be the fixr people are looking for, but in most cases, it'll just be a temporary fix of a symptom that will crop up again, and that can be very frustrating, because you'll think you've moved on and then you're dealing with it again, it lingers forever. Far more often than not, it's going to be related to your hardware's intercommunication being slightly slowed down because of compatibility issues or low quality memory issues, or missing/corrupt components in the OS, registry, etc., caused by deleting the wrong files, or a virus, and so on.

I wish people would get the word out that the following scenarios should be avoided if you want a clean and enjoyable situation with your computer, especially if gaming is your thing:

1) AMD card with Nvidia processor (or vice versa)
2) buying a used card (never do it)
3) having a friend or a "professional" who works out of home do the install
4) buying cheap memory to save money
5) trying to upgrade a seriously antiquated (six years or older) computer with a graphics card that just blows it out of the water

You still haven't answered my question, should I start to warm up the banhammer? :heink:

Dandelion Wine

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
And these fixes are just the stuff you'd be looking into after covering all the obvious bases. Obviously you don't want to be downloading 64bit drivers if you've got a 32bit OS, that isn't going to work out. But yes, uninstalling previous drivers completely and cleanly in safe mode, then installing the new driver, that's always the first step, and really it should be done whenever there's an update regardless. Some people have suggested that going back to a previous driver version has "fixed" this issue. No, it hasn't, it just hides it temporarily, because the issue isn't the driver, it's the hardware.

Dandelion Wines

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

To answer your question, Intel = Nvidia, and I've never actually purchased processors, I just use whatever's in with the CPU that I buy. I own a cyber cafe. As far as locations to purchase computer gear goes, I only use Best Buy, as of this dialog. I'm sorry if I'm not answering your question according to a forum rule, I'm not clear on why you banned me.

Intel is not Nvidia and as such you are posting misinformation, which is a violation of the T.o.S.

icejohnny21

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hi, i have a intel processor and use to have a nvidia graphics card, i then bought a AMD graphics card and the error continued. Although with my nvidia card the graphics will go crazy, colour changes, pixels going weird and then the crash whereas with my AMD its just a crash.

I dont think its the specific game as it happens with all the games i am playing, if i know the problem for sure i will not hesitate to throw money at it but ive already wasted about $400 on a new graphics card and power supply which many other people suggested had to be the issue. Could it be anything to do with ram ? my computer is very quick and runs everything fine on max settings in games so i dont think its the settings, although i have tweaked around with it and played on lower settings which still resulted in the problem.

This only happens during games and everything else is fine.. My computer is built brand new a year ago so its not from upgrading old parts and i think every part was brand new..

I would love to take it in to a team of experts but i live in australia and as far as i know we dont have a best buy..

Robert781

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Okay, I am very confused now. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad. I've used only Nvidia cards. Now that my card is dead, I was looking at a HD 7750. I thought the "you shouldn't mix Intel cpu/AMD gpus and AMDcpu/nvidia gpu" was a myth. What's the deal here?

yamman101

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

The 'shouldn't mix Intel and AMD' line is completely a myth.

I too have the same error, only I comes from an NVIDIA card and I also cannot find much information at all on the problem.

Different games crash at different times all randomly (GPU is under varying amounts of load). Sometimes it happens a few times in a minute and sometimes the problem doesn't pop up for a few days. The main game that it affects the most is BF3, and that's because the BF3 process is still running and the only way to turn the game off is to kill the process.

The same problem occurs with games like WoW and Guild Wars 2, but with them the screen goes black and refreshes, but the game is still running and I can keep playing.

It is a minor inconvenience and I would like for a solution to be found, but with the lack of information out there on the web, it is hard to find and ideas for a solution.