Gigabyte HD 7870 No Display

o0Raven0o

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hi forum, I'm having a bit of a problem with a new build and I'm trying to get some feedback to see if others have had a similar issue and/or have a possible solution. I'm also running a thread on the Gigabyte forums to the same end. Any help, or just a confirmation of the same issue would be appreciated.

I have a Gigabyte HD7870 VC, in a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H (Rev 1.0) MB connected to an LG E26360 monitor (via DVI cable) and when booting I get one long and three short beeps from the system and no display. If I then reboot with the internal graphics card connected I can get in to Windows 7 but, the 7870 does not show up in the device manager.

Here is what I've tried:
Set the primary display to be PEG.
Disabled the onboard VGA.
Shifted the card into different slots.
Tried different RAM configurations, i.e. different slots, 1333mhz and 1600mhz speeds etc.
Tried all of the above using different connections i.e. DVI and HDMI.
Flashed the bios to F15 (latest version) and retried all of the above.
Had the 7870 replaced in case it was faulty, and retried all of the above on the F15 bios.
Checked the voltages on the PCIE power connectors, all fine, though only tested with a basic multimeter.

Discussions with some users on the Gigabyte forums suggest this is a hardware recognition issue and is down to the graphics card just not being compatible with the current BIOS. Though entirely plausible I'd like to think that this isn't the case given both components have been manufactured by the same company. Still anything is possible I guess!

Thanks in advance.

Here are the System Specs:
Intel Quad Core i7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1155
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H (Rev 1.0) Intel Z77 Chipset MB
Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator
Kingston Hyper-X 8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory
Gigabyte HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card
Seagate 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Corsair 650 Watts CMPSU-650TXV2 Gaming Power Supply

murphy_30547

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Sounds like to me that the card and motherboard just dont like each other, I had a similar issue once with an nvidia card, ended up buying a different card. Hope you can figure something out. I would try to call some kind of support hotline with Gigabyte.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is there a setting in the bios you may try disable or auto setting 'PCI-E Overvoltage Control' just in case somehow the motherboard is interfering with trying to provide power through the pci slot as well.

check both video slots for any bent pins or dirt in them. make sure the cards are in all they way where the pci video slot latches down. check online if there any firmware update for the video card itself. as other have said try another video card in your mb to see if it the mb or the video card that having the issue.

o0Raven0o

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Yep this seems to be the general consensus from some of the users I have spoken to over at the Gigabyte forums. I've contacted their tech support and haven't really offered much in the way of an explanation yet.

Yep, all plugged in properly. Tried the dedicated PCIE connectors from the PSU, and even tried some normal adapters. No luck. Checked the voltages on them with a multimeter and they "seem" ok. But tbh that doesn't really mean much.

This sounds interesting, I don't recall having seen any such setting but I'll take a look when I get home!

Slots are all clean and no bent pins. Checked those already.

I've updated the MB BIOS with the latest version but haven't been able to do anything with the card itself. After reading this post I've gone away and looked for updates for the card and found some resources. Will try and see what happens. Thanks!

Re. testing another card, don't have one to hand right now but I'll see if I can borrow one from somewhere. I'd be good to be able to rule that out too.

o0Raven0o

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hello again all, thanks for all your previous input. Sad to report that I'm still having the same problem. Going to try a different VC in it tomorrow.

Kurtiskain

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I experienced a problem similar to this with my ASUS P8Z77V-LX. The top VGA slot ran a HD 4870 @ 4x even though it's a 16x slot, but the HD 7870 wouldn't detect in it at all, and would simply boot from the onboard gfx. The HD 7870 worked in the black (4x) slot just fine, but of course reduced to 4x speed

A RMA'd motherboard fixed the issue, it was the pins in the PCI-e 16x connector.