Help please, Wireless dialup sharing??????????q

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
February 8, 2005 3:50:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Have a LAN with multiple puters. Only have dialup internet service.
Want to share dialup thru Internet Gateway with other puters on LAN.
been doing this already with Network Switch but want to go wireless.
Most routers I see are for broadband. What equipment do I look for to
go wireless without broadband? This means I will have to have a
wireless switch, if there is such an animal, to connect other
computers to so they can share the internet connection on the Internet
Gateway box. Any help from you Guru's in here?

Thanks,

TrOll
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 11, 2005 9:58:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

A wireless Switch is called a Wireless Access Point. It's slightly
cheaper than a Wireless Router, which you could also use. As long as
you have a computer that is connected to the internet (it shouldn't
matter how it's connected) that has an available Ethernet port, you can
connect that port to the Access Point or to a Router. The only
difference is that in case of an access point the computer will have to
do the routing, and will always have to be switched on for you to use
the internet (since it's dial-up, that's the case anyway).

You could save even more by simlpy getting a wireless access card for
your PC and setting up an Ad-Hoc (computer-to-computer) network. The
down side of this is that many wireless cards don't support 802.11g on
an Ad-Hoc network which means you will only be able to connect at
11Mbps on 802.11b (vs. 54Mbps on 802.11g). Since you only use dial-up
internet it won't make any difference for internet access, but it'll
reduce your home networking speed. Access points also have a slightly
longer range.

To summerize: A "wireless switch" is called an Access Point. The
cheapest way to go is to get a wireless card and set up an Ad-Hoc
network (without an access point). If you choose the second option -
either get cards that support 802.11g on an Ad-Hoc network or get
802.11b cards (because you won't utilize the g, and b cards are
cheaper).

Hope this helps,

Noam Nelke, Israel.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 13, 2005 7:29:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

On 11 Feb 2005 06:58:25 -0800, "Noam Nelke" <NoamNelke@gmail.com>
wrote:

>A wireless Switch is called a Wireless Access Point. It's slightly
>cheaper than a Wireless Router, which you could also use. As long as
>you have a computer that is connected to the internet (it shouldn't
>matter how it's connected) that has an available Ethernet port, you can
>connect that port to the Access Point or to a Router. The only
>difference is that in case of an access point the computer will have to
>do the routing, and will always have to be switched on for you to use
>the internet (since it's dial-up, that's the case anyway).
>
>You could save even more by simlpy getting a wireless access card for
>your PC and setting up an Ad-Hoc (computer-to-computer) network. The
>down side of this is that many wireless cards don't support 802.11g on
>an Ad-Hoc network which means you will only be able to connect at
>11Mbps on 802.11b (vs. 54Mbps on 802.11g). Since you only use dial-up
>internet it won't make any difference for internet access, but it'll
>reduce your home networking speed. Access points also have a slightly
>longer range.
>
>To summerize: A "wireless switch" is called an Access Point. The
>cheapest way to go is to get a wireless card and set up an Ad-Hoc
>network (without an access point). If you choose the second option -
>either get cards that support 802.11g on an Ad-Hoc network or get
>802.11b cards (because you won't utilize the g, and b cards are
>cheaper).
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Noam Nelke, Israel.

Thanks Noam. Good to hear from one of our friends in Israel! I do
have a couple of more questions though, if you don't mind.

The way Windowz XP is setup for ICS it also is a DHCP server of sorts.
It cannot share it's internet connection without also doing DHCP.
Since this function (ICS) isn't enabled on any computer on the network
when using a broadband router there isn't a conflict. I tried to use
a Microsoft Router as an access point but I don't know enough about
those to get it to work. I've been told it would work but I haven't
figured it out yet. Sounds like a rainy day project huh.

Am I to assume that an "access point" doesn't do DHCP?

Anywho, I'll look on Pricewatch.com and see what's available.

Thanks for your time on this.

TrOll
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 14, 2005 5:56:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Dear TrOll,

Didn't quite understand... ICS isn't enabled on ANY computer? Not even
the one with the dial-up connection? Cause that's actually the only one
that NEEDS to be set up for it. Why would you want to avoid the DHCP?
All that it does is hand out internal IP addresses to the computers on
the network. This has to be done anyway unless you insist on setting up
each one of them with a fixed, static, IP address, which you could do
anyway even with DHCP enabled.

If you have a wireless router already, you can use it. What you need to
do is hook up the Internet Gateway (the computer connected to the
internet) to the router's WAN port. You have to set up the Gateway for
ICS. You must then set up the Router to get an IP address dynamicaly
from ISP (which in this case is your Internet Gateway). After doing so,
you can set up the other computers on your network to recieve the
wireless signal, and you should have internet connectivity on them.
It's highly recommended to then enable security features on your
wireless network to prevent unauthorized access to it by your
neighbors.

An Access Point is just like a switch. It doesn't do DHCP.

Your truly,

Noam Nelke, Israel.

PS: Try http://www.pricegrabber.com
!