Artifacts, crashes, and other issues!

Z4xor281

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Hello All,

As of late I've been experiencing frequent artifacting while watching movies/TV shows and/or playing games.

The artifacts appear as green/purple squares, dispayed on top of any content currently on the screen (so it's not really VLC or one of the games crashing).

A few seconds after the artifacts appear both screens go black and VLC will crash (I believe this is due to the graphics driver failing and then being restarted by Windows - so as to avoid BSODs).

I've tried as many of the basic steps as I know of, such as using driver sweeper to uninstall all graphics drivers while in safe mode/re install in safe mode with the latest graphics drivers (as well as the old ones I had been using for "a while" without issue), but have not made any progress in resolving the issue.

My computer specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
Memory: 16GB DDR3
GPU: Asus GTX 580 (Currently using 301.42 drivers)
Power Supply: Antec 1200W
Hard Drives: Intel 330 Series 240GB SSD(OS Drive), Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD, 3x Western Digital 2TB HDs

I've had the current setup for a few months and the artifacts have been somewhat recent. Nothing is overclocked.
I've been reading about this issue elsewhere, but have not found any solid evidence about how to fix this (other than getting a new graphics card).

The temperature of the card seems to be around 50-60 Celsius when the artifacts occur, which seems to be reasonable based on the maximum allowed temperature of the card (I saw it stated somewhere as like 90+ Celsius).

What's INCREDIBLY annoying is that I actually have 2 identical graphics cards (I was given an extra one by error and was allowed to keep it, which was awesome - unfortunately they're both too big for me to use in SLI, but hey, I'm not too upset), and both are having the artifacting occur.

Let me know if more information is required.

Thanks for any help guys,

Zach

Z4xor281

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
A few more updates:

I ran FurMark for 15 or so minutes, where my card go to about 82 Celsius for a while, and did not see any artifacts or display adapter failures.

I plan on disconnecting some of my extra storage drives to see if that has any affect on things.

If both video cards are artifacting, and the temps are what you say when the artifacting occurs, I'd have to suspect the psu is failing.

Have you tried using a different set of pci-e connectors?

Although I doubt this has to do with your problem, but have you run memtest on your system ram?

Z4xor281

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008

I will try a different set of PCI-E connectors tonight, and will do a memtest run afterwards, thanks for your response. I'll update when I have more information,

Zach

Z4xor281

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Hello,

I tried a different PCI-E connector, as well as different PSU cables to the card, and the artifacts and black screen crashes are still occurring.

Also, memtest did not find any errors, any further ideas?

TRENDING THREADS