Closed Solved

New Video Card to replace 5770

My current card seems to be struggling as of late. It sounds like it is getting hot, the fan is quite loud and the only game I play (World of Warcraft) is lagging more and more on just medium graphics settings. My budget is between $200 and $300 with some flexibility and due to the fact that I have personally had bad luck with ATI/AMD video cards I was leaning more towards the 560 Ti and the newer 660 Ti. My current system specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
CPU: i5-760 with a corsair enclosed water cooling unit
Memory: 4 gigs PC3 - 12800 1600 mhz corsair dominator
Hard Drive primary: 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300
Hard Drive secondary: Two 1 terabyte 7200 rpm for storage
Video Card: XFX 5770 XXX Edition
Power Supply: 700W Coolermatster RC-692-KKN3
Monitor: 27" Viewsonic LCD

My main area of concern between the two cards is that my motherboard is PCI-E 2.0, so is the 560 Ti but the 660 Ti is PCI-E 3.0. I know the 660 Ti will work but I am wondering how much better the 660 will be on my machine than the 560 since my motherboard is PCI-E 2.0. Has anyone had any experience with this? Would the performance difference that I would see between the two cards be worth the roughly $100 price gap?

Thanks for any help that can be offer,
Tyler
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about video card replace 5770
  1. Best answer
    Sighbot said:
    My current card seems to be struggling as of late. It sounds like it is getting hot, the fan is quite loud and the only game I play (World of Warcraft) is lagging more and more on just medium graphics settings. My budget is between $200 and $300 with some flexibility and due to the fact that I have personally had bad luck with ATI/AMD video cards I was leaning more towards the 560 Ti and the newer 660 Ti. My current system specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
    CPU: i5-760 with a corsair enclosed water cooling unit
    Memory: 4 gigs PC3 - 12800 1600 mhz corsair dominator
    Hard Drive primary: 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300
    Hard Drive secondary: Two 1 terabyte 7200 rpm for storage
    Video Card: XFX 5770 XXX Edition
    Power Supply: 700W Coolermatster RC-692-KKN3
    Monitor: 27" Viewsonic LCD

My main area of concern between the two cards is that my motherboard is PCI-E 2.0, so is the 560 Ti but the 660 Ti is PCI-E 3.0. I know the 660 Ti will work but I am wondering how much better the 660 will be on my machine than the 560 since my motherboard is PCI-E 2.0. Has anyone had any experience with this? Would the performance difference that I would see between the two cards be worth the roughly $100 price gap?

Thanks for any help that can be offer,
    Tyler

From what I have seen the difference between pci 2.0 and 3.0 is minimal. Get that shiny 660ti and burn up some games!! :bounce:
    besides if you get an inferior card you will be kicking yourself in the arse later.
  2. http://www.overclock.net/t/1188376/hardwarecanucks-hd-7970-pci-e-3-0-vs-pci-e-2-0-comparison

Granted this is for a AMD 7970. But should apply to a lesser 660 Ti as well.

The difference is negligible.
  3. Thanks a ton for the replies guys. That really eases my concerns of going with a 3.0 card in an older, but still pretty solid in my opinion, system.
  4. Best answer selected by Sighbot.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics