Sapphire 7850 oc vs non oc - Help pls

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hey Guys,

I decided to upgrade my GT440 to a better card.... Thanks to recommendations from various ppl here (Thanks for that BTW) I have settled on the 7850... now the sapphire 7850 is about $100 cheaper than asus or xfx here, there are 2 options oc and non oc and the price difference is about $15.... is it worth going for the oc version?

Any help would be appreciated

Ash

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Well, they are actually the same price on Newegg.com right now (probably on sale or so) but it doesn't look like they have stock of the OC model, you might want to check, their stocks are updated all the time.

Anyways, some quick math to calculate if you are getting your money's worth assuming the performance contributions on average from OC Vram and OC Core speeds are 50%-50%, then for a given purchase price, you can see if it is worth the additional money assuming a linear translation of price-performance:

0.5[(920-860)/860+(5000-4800)/4800] x Purchase Price for non-OC model, say 200 USD

= 11.14 USD

So, if you are getting the OC model and it is worth <11.14 USD on top of non-OC model, it is worth it performance/dollar point of view, otherwise, it isn't.

So based on the 15 dollars you quoted, I'd say NO. BUT, it is on sale right now in a lot of places, so you might find it for the same price as the non-OC, maybe even cheaper if you look around, then YES.

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
India bro.. the cheapest for the non oc is $291.66 and for oc is $304.34 to be precise... The non oc is selling for $330 at most places here, after calling stores, checking online a lot (for over 3 days) this is the best offer available here :(

Anyone know any UK/US stores that ship to India?

Ash

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Okay, if there are any stores that ship to India, you will have to deal with shipping and duty charges. AND, should you ever need the warranty, it will at the very least be a big hassle, since warranty and service is regionalized.

I'd go with non-oc then. The performance difference amounts to maximally 7%, so for a game that runs at 50 fps, you'll get another 3.5 fps TOPS. Not worth it in my opinion.

cursed4eva

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
True about the shipping and customs... I didnt know about the service....
Apart from performance bro anything else? is the cooler better? any difference is noise... it know draws marginally more power

Ash

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Based on Sapphire's website, the cooler should be exactly the same, which is not surprising since the OC is very mild.

OC Edition:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1160&lid=1&pid=1499&leg=0

Regular Edition:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1160&pid=1472&psn&lid=1

You can always OC yourself if you want to try it. The heatsink and fan combo looks potent.