Rate this build? pls? ty

Vlad ProDAN

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
hi can you rate this build for me ( scale of 1-10), im planning on using it for i'd say maybe 3-4 years (no z77 pls , socket 1155 is dead)

CPU : i7 3820
MoBo: Asus P9x79pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (1600mhz)
CPU cooler: Corsair H100
GPU: Gtx 680 DCU2 top
PSU: Corsair Gs800 (thinking if the HX850 gold is really worth the extra cash)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
SSD: Kingston hyperx3k 120gb
HDD: Western digital caviar black 1TB

Vlad ProDAN

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
yes it is for gaming :D, and im saying 1155 is dead because no new cpu's will be coming out for that socket, where as 2011 has ivb-e around the corner

You know people said this about 1366(X58) having new cpus. Shame it was just a real high end setup with no upgrade path.

In reality, I never upgrade the cpu anyway, full systems in most cases.

The system looks good. Top end video and all that stuff.

If you are looking at power supplies, I think the newer AX(and all the newer seasonic based ones) power supplies go fan-less under 20-30% load :)

The thing is, SB-E shows no appreciable improvement over SB in the realm of gaming, unless you're running at lower resolutions and detail levels that isolate the CPU. Once you crank those up ( as you would with a 680, ) the workload gets shifted back over to the GPU so even a 2500K is only a few frames behind the 3969X.

You can call 1155 dead because IB is the last chip for it if you really want. However, given the barely measurable increase of SB-E over SB in gaming, what makes you think IB-E will be so much better than IB? Really, even the Gulftown CPUs are still very viable for gaming and are barely behind IB.

I'm not saying this won't be nice gaming rig as is, but I think you're spending a lot of money for absolutely no perceivable gaming improvement.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Well, if you drop it down to a 3570k with a reasonably priced motherboard, cut the RAM to 8GB, and get a cooler that's half the price of the H100, then you could throw an extra 680 in there and double your performance over what you have listed.

Vlad ProDAN

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
i will probably add another 680 next year, im not in such a huge rush one overclocked DCU2top 680 should tear apart anything i throw at it for now :p, but thank you for the advice :D