Exalted: Gaia.

Gaia is a Primordial, correct?

Does she represent herself similar to a God?

Shane Graves wrote:

> Gaia is a Primordial, correct?

Correct.

> Does she represent herself similar to a God?

Huh? Do you mean "Does she claim to be a god" or "Does she hang out
with the other gods" or "When she draws pictures, does she draw pictures
of herself and the gods and make them look about alike," or what?
--
Stephenls
Geek

"Stephenls"
> Shane Graves wrote:

> > Gaia is a Primordial, correct?

> Correct.

> > Does she represent herself similar to a God?

> Huh? Do you mean "Does she claim to be a god" or "Does she hang out
> with the other gods" or "When she draws pictures, does she draw pictures >
of herself and the gods and make them look about alike," or what?

The last part. And the middle part too.

Like, if you didn't know Gaia was a Primordial and you bumped into her in
Yu-Shan, would you be like "Are you the Unconquered Sun's...uh...sister?"

What's her 'day job' now?

On a similar note, if we assume that the Age of Sorrow does lead into
the World of Darkness, do you think that Gaia remembers it? I'm pretty
sure that Luna, being the essence of rules-breaking trickery, if not
half-mad, does, but what about the other Celestines?

It seems the Five Elemental Dragons are still around, at least...

Dex,
wondering if we'll ever get to see how Djinn fit into Exalted...

Shane Graves wrote:

> "Stephenls"
>
>>Shane Graves wrote:
>
>>>Gaia is a Primordial, correct?
>
>>Correct.
>
>>>Does she represent herself similar to a God?
>
>>Huh? Do you mean "Does she claim to be a god" or "Does she hang out
>>with the other gods" or "When she draws pictures, does she draw pictures >
>
> of herself and the gods and make them look about alike," or what?
>
> The last part. And the middle part too.
>
> Like, if you didn't know Gaia was a Primordial and you bumped into her in
> Yu-Shan, would you be like "Are you the Unconquered Sun's...uh...sister?"
>
> What's her 'day job' now?

Primordials don't have to spend much time maintaining the world, the
way gods do. In fact, they CREATED gods specifically to fob that task
off onto them. So I suspect Gaia doesn't have a "day job" much more
demanding than "make out with Luna when it is somebody else's turn at
the Games of Divinity and occasionally check with the Elemental Dragons
and make sure fire is still hot and water is still liquid."
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]

"Mmm! Power lines and paint chips! My childhood ROCKS!" -- Fighter,
8-bit Theatre

"Richard Clayton"
> Shane Graves wrote:

> > Like, if you didn't know Gaia was a Primordial and you bumped into her
in
> > Yu-Shan, would you be like "Are you the Unconquered
Sun's...uh...sister?"

> > What's her 'day job' now?

> Primordials don't have to spend much time maintaining the world, the
> way gods do. In fact, they CREATED gods specifically to fob that task
> off onto them. So I suspect Gaia doesn't have a "day job" much more
> demanding than "make out with Luna when it is somebody else's turn at
> the Games of Divinity and occasionally check with the Elemental Dragons
> and make sure fire is still hot and water is still liquid."

Right. So where does she go? Does she have an icon? Or is she just that
"big idea" like Fiddler's Green who doesn't turn into a man?

> Primordials don't have to spend much time maintaining the world, the
> way gods do. In fact, they CREATED gods specifically to fob that task
> off onto them. So I suspect Gaia doesn't have a "day job" much more
> demanding than "make out with Luna when it is somebody else's turn at
> the Games of Divinity and occasionally check with the Elemental Dragons
> and make sure fire is still hot and water is still liquid."

In Werewolf, Gaia and Luna have the smoochy smoochy relationship.That's not
canon for Exalted.

In Exalted, Luna is the Unconquered Sun's babe.

The Unconquered Sun and Luna spend all that time in the *Jade Pleasure
Dome*. Think about what the Games of Divinity really are and why mortals
and Exalts would be blasted into dust if they saw what was going on!

*wink*

CB

"Intelligroove" <kaiu_keiichi@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > Primordials don't have to spend much time maintaining the world, the
> > way gods do. In fact, they CREATED gods specifically to fob that task
> > off onto them. So I suspect Gaia doesn't have a "day job" much more
> > demanding than "make out with Luna when it is somebody else's turn at
> > the Games of Divinity and occasionally check with the Elemental Dragons
> > and make sure fire is still hot and water is still liquid."
>
> In Werewolf, Gaia and Luna have the smoochy smoochy relationship.That's
not
> canon for Exalted.

I think it is - the illustration Games of Divinity shows Luna sitting on
Gaia's lap. Or the other way 'round. I can never keep the two straight.

- David Prokopetz.

Intelligroove wrote:

> In Werewolf, Gaia and Luna have the smoochy smoochy relationship.That's not
> canon for Exalted.

> In Exalted, Luna is the Unconquered Sun's babe.

Bull. Look up Luna and Gaia's entry in the corebook. They're consorts.
--

"Shane Graves" <lobsterhut@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Gaia is a Primordial, correct?
>
> Does she represent herself similar to a God?

Gaia, as far as I can tell, doesn't represent herself at all.

Taking a cue from Glorantha, I've always felt that Gaia is simply *too big*
to worship directly. She's too complex a being to understand easily enough
to worship.

With my gods-as-souls-of-Gaia-thing, worshipping the Celestial Gods or the
Elemental Dragons is indeed worshipping Gaia in one of her lesser aspects.
The Elemental Dragons are her body - her breath, blood, bones, vitality and
sinews (air, water, earth, fire and wood.) Worshipping the Dragons does
have the effect of bringing a worshipper closer with Gaia, just as
worshipping the Unconquered Sun or Luna does. This is why Abyssal resonance
affects holy symbols of the Unconquered Sun as well as that of the Dragons.
They are both representations of the infinite power and love of the mother
of all life.

CB

> I think it is - the illustration Games of Divinity shows Luna sitting on
> Gaia's lap. Or the other way 'round. I can never keep the two straight.
>
> - David Prokopetz.

Luna is also the goddess of chaos and change. Gaia is the *mother* of all
the gods. Think about it!

She's just a lil girl, after all.

CB

Intelligroove wrote:
>>Primordials don't have to spend much time maintaining the world, the
>>way gods do. In fact, they CREATED gods specifically to fob that task
>>off onto them. So I suspect Gaia doesn't have a "day job" much more
>>demanding than "make out with Luna when it is somebody else's turn at
>>the Games of Divinity and occasionally check with the Elemental Dragons
>>and make sure fire is still hot and water is still liquid."
>
> In Werewolf, Gaia and Luna have the smoochy smoochy relationship.That's not
> canon for Exalted.
>
> In Exalted, Luna is the Unconquered Sun's babe.

You are wrong.

> The Unconquered Sun and Luna spend all that time in the *Jade Pleasure
> Dome*. Think about what the Games of Divinity really are and why mortals
> and Exalts would be blasted into dust if they saw what was going on!
>
> *wink*

Godsex it may be, but Luna is still affiliated with Gaia. In theory,
anyway. I suspect that slightly batty survivalist shapeshifters
delegated enormous power by a Primordial can pretty much do as they please.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]

"Mmm! Power lines and paint chips! My childhood ROCKS!" -- Fighter,
8-bit Theatre

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:54:58 -0400, "Intelligroove"
<kaiu_keiichi@nospam.com> wrote:

>> Primordials don't have to spend much time maintaining the world, the
>> way gods do. In fact, they CREATED gods specifically to fob that task
>> off onto them. So I suspect Gaia doesn't have a "day job" much more
>> demanding than "make out with Luna when it is somebody else's turn at
>> the Games of Divinity and occasionally check with the Elemental Dragons
>> and make sure fire is still hot and water is still liquid."
>
>In Werewolf, Gaia and Luna have the smoochy smoochy relationship.That's not
>canon for Exalted.
>
>In Exalted, Luna is the Unconquered Sun's babe.

You don't seriously expect Luna to cleave to only one partner
do you?

Intelligroove wrote:

> "Shane Graves" <lobsterhut@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Gaia is a Primordial, correct?
> >
> > Does she represent herself similar to a God?
>
> Gaia, as far as I can tell, doesn't represent herself at all.
>
> Taking a cue from Glorantha, I've always felt that Gaia is simply *too big*
> to worship directly. She's too complex a being to understand easily enough
> to worship.

The primordials created the Dragon Kings to worship them directly so
they could get a rush from the adoration and fear.

This didn't work, so they made humans to worship them directly so they
could get a rush. Nothing in Exalted is too big or complex to understand
enough to worship. One of the basic design principles of Creation is
that worship grants power to the worshipped.

Gaia, being a primordial, is quite worshippable.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

Julie d'Aubigny wrote:

> Intelligroove wrote:
>
>>"Shane Graves" <lobsterhut@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Gaia is a Primordial, correct?
>>>
>>>Does she represent herself similar to a God?
>>
>>Gaia, as far as I can tell, doesn't represent herself at all.
>>
>>Taking a cue from Glorantha, I've always felt that Gaia is simply *too big*
>>to worship directly. She's too complex a being to understand easily enough
>>to worship.
>
> The primordials created the Dragon Kings to worship them directly so
> they could get a rush from the adoration and fear.
>
> This didn't work, so they made humans to worship them directly so they
> could get a rush. Nothing in Exalted is too big or complex to understand
> enough to worship. One of the basic design principles of Creation is
> that worship grants power to the worshipped.
>
> Gaia, being a primordial, is quite worshippable.

And indeed she is. The Immaculate Order venerates her, in an abstract
sort of way.
--

Intelligroove wrote:

> > I think it is - the illustration Games of Divinity shows Luna sitting on
> > Gaia's lap. Or the other way 'round. I can never keep the two straight.
> >
> > - David Prokopetz.
>
> Luna is also the goddess of chaos and change. Gaia is the *mother* of all
> the gods. Think about it!
>
> She's just a lil girl, after all.

Luna is Gaia's consort, canonically, in Exalted.

--

Intelligroove wrote:

> > I think it is - the illustration Games of Divinity shows Luna sitting on
> > Gaia's lap. Or the other way 'round. I can never keep the two straight.
> >
> > - David Prokopetz.
>
> Luna is also the goddess of chaos and change. Gaia is the *mother* of all
> the gods. Think about it!
>
> She's just a lil girl, after all.

Luna is Gaia's consort, canonically, in Exalted.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG
AeonAdventure | "Dobby likes us!" -- Smeagol
-- http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6856

> Luna is Gaia's consort, canonically, in Exalted.

Reference, please? Book and Page? Not that I doubt, but I'm surprised that
I missed it.

And how does impact with Luna's relationship with the Unconquered Sun?

Danke,

CB

"Stephenls" <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Intelligroove wrote:
>
> > In Werewolf, Gaia and Luna have the smoochy smoochy relationship.That's
not
> > canon for Exalted.
>
> > In Exalted, Luna is the Unconquered Sun's babe.
>
> Bull. Look up Luna and Gaia's entry in the corebook. They're consorts.

Thanks, I'll check that.

But I still believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that Luna and the
Unconquered Sun have a marraige-style relationship as well.

CB

Intelligroove wrote:

> Thanks, I'll check that.

> But I still believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that Luna and the
> Unconquered Sun have a marraige-style relationship as well.

I don't believe they do, or if they do it's only been mentioned once in
a highly obscure place.
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike

> > Taking a cue from Glorantha, I've always felt that Gaia is simply *too
big*
> > to worship directly. She's too complex a being to understand easily
enough
> > to worship.
>
> The primordials created the Dragon Kings to worship them directly so
> they could get a rush from the adoration and fear.
>
> This didn't work, so they made humans to worship them directly so they
> could get a rush. Nothing in Exalted is too big or complex to understand
> enough to worship. One of the basic design principles of Creation is
> that worship grants power to the worshipped.

> Gaia, being a primordial, is quite worshippable.

I'd agree with this take, but I also hold that if someone is worshipping one
of her manifestations/souls/children (The US, Luna, the Dragons, Heaven)
you're also worshipping her as well. Gaia is the soul of the world, it's
reasonable IMO to say that she *is* Creation. Certainly, when writing about
the Yozis, it seems that the Exalted authors could have been inspired by
Greg Stafford's notions of the devolution of gods - as large,
incomprehensible, primal cosmic entities divide into smaller deities and
aspects, they become easier to worship and more understandable. We find that
the cosmic force has not really subdivided, per se, but that the more
discrete, smaller deity is an aspect of the larger force, sometimes with
it's own individuality, sometimes not.

Check out what Greg Stafford has to say about Collateral Worship in
Glorantha -

http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a/big-god.html

I think that this thinking can easily apply to gods in Exalted as well. The
difference is that gods in Exalted's Creation have no Great Compromise to
limit their actions, and exist within time. Lots of Glorantha stuff can be
quite useful as notions in Exalted, especially concerning gods and heroes.
And before anyone asks, yes, Heroes from Glorantha can easily match powers
with Exalts, could the two ever meet. Much of HeroQuest and Exalted have
identical spirit and vibe.

Purely my own thoughts, of course.

CB

"Intelligroove"
> "Stephenls"

> > > In Exalted, Luna is the Unconquered Sun's babe.

> > Bull. Look up Luna and Gaia's entry in the corebook. They're consorts.

> Thanks, I'll check that.

> But I still believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that Luna and the
> Unconquered Sun have a marraige-style relationship as well.

Nope.

The Solars and Lunars were often lovers of each other, though.

"Intelligroove"

> I'd agree with this take, but I also hold that if someone is worshipping
one
> of her manifestations/souls/children (The US, Luna, the Dragons, Heaven)

Actually, from reading Games of Divinity and The Sidereals and seeing how
praying works, I'd say no.

Also, there's no clear "chain of title" saying that the US and Luna are
descendents of Gaia.

> "Intelligroove"
>
> > I'd agree with this take, but I also hold that if someone is worshipping
> one
> > of her manifestations/souls/children (The US, Luna, the Dragons, Heaven)
>
> Actually, from reading Games of Divinity and The Sidereals and seeing how
> praying works, I'd say no.
>
> Also, there's no clear "chain of title" saying that the US and Luna are
> descendents of Gaia.

I was just saying that earlier in the thread that I liked the idea. It's
certainly not canon Exalted. If memory serves, the gods were created as
more or less machines/slaves by the Primordials to run Creation for them,
no?

CB