Sign in with
Your question

Where should I buy from?

Last response: in Systems
November 6, 2012 3:16:21 PM

Hello. I am going to be building a new pc soon and I already figured out what parts i am going to get but I ran into an issue that I can't decide on. I need some opinions from you guys on what you think I should do. There are 2 options for me basically. The first one is to order the parts from newegg. The second option is to order the parts from fry's.com and since I live 10 minutes away from a fry's, I can just select in-store pick up rather then shipping.

I want to go with newegg but at the same time, I would like to go with frys because whenever I have a problem such as exchanging, returning, etc, the store would be right next to me.

I heard that fry's has a reputation of selling refurbished items but I also heard that they put stickers on the refurbished products so if that's true, I can make sure I get the unopened units and even if there was a problem with a part, again the store is only 10 minutes away.

So what do you guys think I should do?

More about : buy

November 6, 2012 3:39:13 PM

Newegg has a far easier return department to deal with than Fry's does. I refuse to recommend Fry's as a reseller because they are completely dishonest (my boss refers to them as "Fry Me's" :lol:  ) in that they will just restock any returned item no matter what it was returned for. When you return something to Newegg it's incredibly easy to do.
m
l
November 6, 2012 10:18:19 PM

Never dealt with Fry's so I cannot speak to their return policies. However, I have dealt with Newegg returns. I've found the process very easy, capable, and satisfactory (even though you have to deal with shipping times/costs). Given that you have a Fry's in the area, I can see the appeal of going that route, but if they're in the area, why would you order online? Just go to the store and pick out the items you want that are not obvious restocks (usually a different outer plastic wrapping).

-Wolf sends
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2012 10:25:35 PM

Well I'm not a huge advocator of frys but they will take anything in its part of there policy.

However with that being said I typically always buy from newegg unless I would like the ability to drive and return and purchase something new.
m
l
November 7, 2012 1:24:05 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Just one other question. I heard this from another forum that the DOA rate of the items in fry's are above 70%. I'm guessing this is not true but just for reassurance, what do you guys think about that.

Oh and I almost forgot. I also heard that frys puts stickers on the boxes of all the refurbished items but not all the time(for example, the product is refurbished but there is no sticker). Again, I don't know how true that is so i was wondering, how can I tell the difference between a refurbished unit and a brand new one if I chose to go in the store to get the components. I'm guessing you can tell by just looking at the condition of the box?
m
l
November 7, 2012 1:34:03 AM

Frys does have a lot of return stickers. Reduced priced stickers due to returns. Which may also add to the DOA rate due to them either putting it back on the shelf as new or people buying a product used. I think what it comes down to is if you are willing to take a chance with them and be able to bring in the product without paying return shipping.
m
l
November 7, 2012 4:00:43 AM

Would it be better to just order off frys and select in store pickup or go to frys myself to look at the components as I buy them. I'm asking this because if I order off frys with in store pickup, someone will just collect the parts and have them waiting for me, right? What if he chooses a refurbished or open box unit though. Maybe it would be better to go and get them myself to see the condition of the units, etc?
m
l
November 7, 2012 4:11:15 AM

Honestly, I would feel better going in the store and picking up the parts. They keep memory, and cpu in a cage so chances are those would be safe but the other things I would want to have a look at the box before I purchased it. And I would come prepared with the prices of the online stuff because they match prices all in all its up to you whether or not you buy at frys.
newegg is great to work with and they also have a preferred account which can get you 6 months no interest on purchases over 250 or above and 1 year for 500 or above.
m
l
November 7, 2012 4:11:19 AM

kangdemon said:
Would it be better to just order off frys and select in store pickup or go to frys myself to look at the components as I buy them. I'm asking this because if I order off frys with in store pickup, someone will just collect the parts and have them waiting for me, right? What if he chooses a refurbished or open box unit though. Maybe it would be better to go and get them myself to see the condition of the units, etc?

I actually bought a HTPC case from Fry's because the price was lower than Newegg and the experience I had was fine. I'm not sure the DOA rate is as high as that site claims but I can see where they get that number.
m
l
November 7, 2012 4:26:29 AM

They price match so I mean if they had the case you wanted it could be cheaper to get at frys shrugs
m
l
November 7, 2012 10:38:27 AM

Alright thx for the help guys. I suppose I'll go to frys and have a look around but if I can't find any units that are not refurbished/open boxes, ill order from newegg
m
l
!