Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI 5730M GPU Temperature dangerous levels?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 10, 2012 3:30:29 PM

Hi all,

I am running an external monitor Dell U2312HM on an Asus laptop N61JQ which has Ati 5730M as GPU Card. Recently I noticed that the GPU Temperature is ~65C idle, and when running games, it will shoot up to ~105C.

I was wondering if this is dangerous levels, and if so, what are the ways to cool it down? I am using a laptop cooler beneath, and using MSI Afterburner / GPUZ to monitor the temperatures.

Many thanks all!

Best solution

September 10, 2012 3:33:36 PM

these temps are quite high but not uncommon for high performance laptop gpu's...have you overclocked it? or is this at stock settings...clean out the heatsink assembly make sure there is no dust built up in there also you could try replacing the stock thermal paste and replace it with some good stuff (AS5)

I personally wouldnt be comfortable with temps like that....my 5870m gets up to like 90c and it freaks me out (no laptop cooler though) need to get one
September 10, 2012 3:58:04 PM

no, this is all stock.

Is there a way to force the fans to run at 100%? I am not sure MSI Afterburner is able to override the fan speed settings.
Related resources
September 10, 2012 4:00:48 PM

no, this is all stock.

Is there a way to force the fans to run at 100%? I am not sure MSI Afterburner is able to override the fan speed settings.
September 10, 2012 4:06:09 PM

no there prolly is not a way to get the fan to run at 100% due to the fact that its considered a system fan in the laptop not a gpu fan...does your laptop have one fan/heatsink for the gpu and cpu or does each have its own...you may want to poke around in the BIOS and see if there is anything you can adjust with the fan
September 12, 2012 12:55:17 PM

Best answer selected by craime.
September 12, 2012 5:26:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!