Reinstalled Windows 7, computer can't detect graphics card

MegaMatt55

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
My girlfriend's computer was loaded up with a bunch of crap and she wanted a clean slate. She requested a hard drive wipe and reinstallation of Windows 7, which went smoothly as far as I can tell. She ordered her computer a couple years ago from the HP store, and I THINK it's a HP Pavilion A4327C. At least, that's the model the HP site comes up with when I plug what I think is the model number into it. Now, the HP site says, under "video graphics," that the computer has "integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE." There's my first point of confusion - I thought "integrated graphics" meant graphics processing coming from the motherboard. This machine clearly has a card, separate from the motherboard. I should know - the monitor cable is plugged into the graphics card port in the back, NOT the motherboard. The front of the computer has a little sticker in the bottom left that says "nVidia GeForce with CUDA."

Even so, the computer doesn't detect the graphics card now. I'm assuming the card isn't completely shot if it's outputting video somehow. When I look for my display adapters, it says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." I've tried running 3rd party scanner software to detect devices, they all say the same thing. I tried downloading nVidia's driver for the GeForce 6150SE, it says "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." I tried to run a game, and it said a suitable graphics card could not be found.

I would love to get this computer to detect the graphics card it seems to be using at this very moment, so I can install the drivers for it.

abraham_mammogram

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

I guess I'm a little confused as to what your question is. What problems are you facing? Are you getting any video output from the card? Do you know the make and model of the card, it should say right on it.

Integrated graphics does mean that it is using a chipset on the motherboard. Most motherboard/processor combos have some form of integrated graphics, even if a discreet card is installed.

Usually onboard graphics are disabled if a card is installed, so trying to install anything for the 6150E is pointless, it's not installed as far as the machine is installed. Those chips were integrated into the chip on the board and can't work in tandem at all with any card.

Standard VGA means it can't detect the drivers for the card installed. Take the card out, look for any model numbers, marking, etc and google them and see what comes up or trying using the Nvidia autodetect but if it's an AMD, obviously that's not going to detect. In reality, if it's any standard AMD or Nvidia card, goto the standard vga, saying update drivers and search online, windows update should find some basic WDM drivers for it and let you know what kind it is.

Usually onboard graphics are disabled if a card is installed, so trying to install anything for the 6150E is pointless, it's not installed as far as the machine is installed. Those chips were integrated into the chip on the board and can't work in tandem at all with any card.

Standard VGA means it can't detect the drivers for the card installed. Take the card out, look for any model numbers, marking, etc and google them and see what comes up or trying using the Nvidia autodetect but if it's an AMD, obviously that's not going to detect. In reality, if it's any standard AMD or Nvidia card, goto the standard vga, saying update drivers and search online, windows update should find some basic WDM drivers for it and let you know what kind it is.

MegaMatt55

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
The problem I'm facing is that the computer is unable to detect the graphics card, and is unable to run a game that apparently needs a graphics card even start. My first point of confusion is that the monitor is plugged into the graphics card in the back of the machine. The fact that I'm able to see video at all now implies to me that the graphics card is working somehow. My second point of confusion is that I don't understand "integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE." I would think the "nVidia GeForce 6150SE" part would mean there's a separate graphics card there, which is the case when I look at the thing. But I thought "integrated graphics" means that the graphics processing is coming from the motherboard.

MegaMatt55

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Windows update was a good call. I should have been more patient about letting Windows get through all its automatic update stuff after the reinstallation of Windows 7. I noticed one of the updates included stuff from both ATI and nVidia. NOW, it's telling me the display driver is an ATI Radeon HD 5450, which is great...I guess. I'm not sure I understand why there's an nVidia sticker on it, and why HP says there's a GeForce 6150SE involved if the graphics card is actually something else.

But the game seems to run, so I guess I shouldn't really complain.

The Nvidia is integrated into the southbridge usually onboard, so it has an Nvidia chipset on it, hence the Nvidia updates being installed. The Add-on card is an AMD. If you pulled out the AMD card, it would find and install the drivers for the NVidia built on graphics. Since the card is installed, it is automatically disabled.

G

The GeForce 6150SE is an integrated graphics chip. its not a stand alone. The card that your monitor cable is plugged into is the HD 5450. It can be confusing on old pcs, but it seems this one was upgraded or could be a labeling mistake. Either way as I was reading this the first thing that came to mind was use Windows Update, but couldn't reply from my phone. Good luck.

johnnychuttz

Honorable
May 30, 2012
You will most likely want to uninstall all the AMD 5450 Windows updates and install the Catalyst/driver straight from the AMD site. I gave my dad an old 4670 for him to turn his old HP into an HTPC. I never could get it working right until I found and deleted the update, swept the drivers and did a clean install. Worked perfectly after that.

madjockthemad

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
hi.
Just had the same with a new install of Win 7 ultimate, just went to the device manager, found the standard VGA adaptor,went:-
start>control panel>hardware and sound>device manager. then selected display adaptors (double click to get properties) then pick the driver tab, the select update driver....
it worked for my geforce 220.
good luck

madjock