Closed Solved

Intel confusion: Ivy Bridge? i3? Celeron?

I am a simple man who wants to play video games. Please help me understand the Intel nomenclature. It seems like they refer to the same chips with multiple terms and then I lie down and cry.

I want to design a new system for gaming that will last 3-5 years. It starts with the processor (I assume) but I cannot for the life of me tell which chip to go with. Will an i3 last 3 years? Is an i5 worth the extra money? Sandy Bridge? Ivy Bridge? Gah!

I play mostly MMOs and a few lately (GW2) have become processor intensive. My plan is to spend a lot of the processor now since I can easily upgrade a video card later. With that logic, and no need to play FPS at high res, any advice for the core of my system (chip, motherboard)?

3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about intel confusion bridge celeron
  1. Best answer
    As we are seeing in games, CPU cores are being utilized more and more. Right now a few games already use more than 2 cores (Which is what the i3 has). So I would recommend a 4 core CPU (i5).

For the CPU I would recommend you get the i5 3570K, this is a 4 core CPU and it runs very fast. It is also the BEST gaming CPU, as anything higher is using hyperthreading and hyperthreading has no impact on games.

TLDR; Get the i5 3570K CPU ($220)

EDIT: As a side note, I would suggest you DO NOT skimp on the GPU. As it the GPU is the heart of your system in terms of gaming.
  2. Best answer selected by Mashugana.
  3. Thank you!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Intel Processors Systems