Sign in with
Your question

Help! is this a good gaming build so far? any suggestions?

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2012 11:10:24 PM

Hi, this is my first build and i was wondering if it is any good? i definitely need some help finding out which parts are compatible with each other.. I've tried watching videos but none of them answer my specific questions. Could you help out? am i missing parts?

Video card- HIS iCooler H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Motherboard- ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Processor- Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

Memory ram- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop

More about : good gaming build suggestions

November 6, 2012 12:25:55 AM

Instead of the P8Z77-V LK, get the ASRock Extreme 4 Z77. More power phases, better overclocks.

I would also recommend swapping out the i7 3770k for an i5 3570k. With the cash saved, invest in a GTX660 or Radeon HD7870 :) 
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2012 1:12:50 AM

mace200200 said:
The i7's are pretty useless when it comes to gaming. The SB i5 3470 will save you some money.
Also 8 gigs of RAM is usually more than enough so 16 is just silly. Look at me, I still run a 32 bit OS and get by fine on 3.3 gigs :D 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

+1

All I can say is use the extra money you have from both the savings of the RAM and the Processor and get yourself a GTX 660 - against synthetic benchmark belief, the GTX 660 is actually a great card. It will give you EASILY twice the frames of the 7770, and you don't have to worry about AMD's sketchy drivers.

Actually, if you don't need the HD4000 for anything, head to a local Microcenter ( if you have one ) and pick up the i5-3450 for $149 ( Quite a steal if you ask me ).

I also agree with mocchan - dont worry about getting a high-end ASUS board. ASRock is a better price/performance seller. ASUS fans - dont kill me for saying this ( even though I am one myself w/ a Maximus IV $200 mATX board ) - These ASUS Boards that are not ROG, they're simply for show. They don't provide anything worthy enough to make me spend an extra ~$50 over the competition except for the shiny ASUS logo. Ooooooohhhh, so shiny! :lol: 

I hope I helped, and if you need me, catch me in the morning/afternoon ( its midnight here in the US ) cause I'm sacking out. :sleep: 
m
l
November 6, 2012 2:26:02 AM

Josheyman123 said:
+1

All I can say is use the extra money you have from both the savings of the RAM and the Processor and get yourself a GTX 660 - against synthetic benchmark belief, the GTX 660 is actually a great card. It will give you EASILY twice the frames of the 7770, and you don't have to worry about AMD's sketchy drivers.

Actually, if you don't need the HD4000 for anything, head to a local Microcenter ( if you have one ) and pick up the i5-3450 for $149 ( Quite a steal if you ask me ).

I also agree with mocchan - dont worry about getting a high-end ASUS board. ASRock is a better price/performance seller. ASUS fans - dont kill me for saying this ( even though I am one myself w/ a Maximus IV $200 mATX board ) - These ASUS Boards that are not ROG, they're simply for show. They don't provide anything worthy enough to make me spend an extra ~$50 over the competition except for the shiny ASUS logo. Ooooooohhhh, so shiny! :lol: 

I hope I helped, and if you need me, catch me in the morning/afternoon ( its midnight here in the US ) cause I'm sacking out. :sleep: 

I have spent many hours switching between "sketchy" nVidia drivers so don't play that 5 year outdated card. Both companies have good drivers. Period.

Anyways a 7870 is the same price as a 660 and is as powerful as a 660Ti (Especially after the 12.11 update). In fact the 7870 is the best bang for your buck this gen.
m
l
November 6, 2012 2:38:02 AM

Oh really? I wasn't aware the HD7870 have improved so much after the drivers, could you link me to a few benchmarks? You've gotten me very curious now :lol: 

There is no knowing on which manufacturers have the better drivers. I have both experienced BSOD's along with numerous driver conflicts over the past few years with both AMD and Nvidia. All it comes down to is the performance per dollars.

AMD seems to have the best performance for the ~$300 price point at the moment, and if what CaptainTom does indeed prove to be true (no doubts, though), then AMD would have Nvidia beat at the ~$200-250 range as well.
m
l
November 6, 2012 4:24:48 PM

mocchan said:
Oh really? I wasn't aware the HD7870 have improved so much after the drivers, could you link me to a few benchmarks? You've gotten me very curious now :lol: 

There is no knowing on which manufacturers have the better drivers. I have both experienced BSOD's along with numerous driver conflicts over the past few years with both AMD and Nvidia. All it comes down to is the performance per dollars.

AMD seems to have the best performance for the ~$300 price point at the moment, and if what CaptainTom does indeed prove to be true (no doubts, though), then AMD would have Nvidia beat at the ~$200-250 range as well.

Look at the 7870 review on Tomshardware. The 7870 beat the 660 Ti half the time BEFORE the 12.11 update.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

With 12.11 the 7870 is ~10% stronger than before. Even if the 660Ti is still technically stronger (Which is the general feeling that I don't agree with), the 7870 is far more future proof, and is $70 cheaper.
m
l
November 6, 2012 6:17:49 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!