Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PSU friyng GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 10, 2012 6:13:23 PM

Hello,I was wondering if a psu blowing up can take out a gpu that only uses the pci slot for power(hd 7750) and if it can whats the chance?

More about : psu friyng gpu

a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 6:20:45 PM

Yes, it wont always damage the components, but don't take the risk... the odds are not in your favour.

Are you using a cheap PSU?
a c 190 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 6:21:31 PM

It can. What power supply are you using right now? What are your full system specifications?

A bad power supply may take components with it.
Related resources
September 10, 2012 6:34:56 PM

I'm using what you would call a VERY cheap power supply BUT it actually came with 12 months warranty and it has been working for an year now with no problems which might be because of my very low-end specs which are

psu : TrendSonic 450w
mobo : GA-M56S-S3
cpu : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
gpu : GeForce 210(hoping to upgrade to the hd 7750 I'm not much of a gamer and my reso is 1280x1024 so I'm just looking for low settings 30+ fps performance but I might upgrade my whole system later on and I dont want to buy anything lower that the 7750 because I might just salvage it later)
a c 190 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 6:41:56 PM

Well,



Based on this picture I think you've got enough power.
September 10, 2012 6:58:51 PM

Yeah from what I tested it has 312 watts on the +12v so hopefully all will work out.Thanks for the help.
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 6:59:12 PM

You can run an HD 7850 but that might be pushing it just a little. The HD 7750 or 7770 would run no problem at all on that power supply though. You don't want to really stress those cheap power supplies. They will blow if they draw even close to their rated consumption levels. The 7850 needs around 22 amps of current on the +12 volt rail, 19 amps for the HD 7770, and 16 amps for the 7750. Your Power supply has 26 amps on the +12 volt rail. Theoretically you should be able to run all three cards mentioned. I advise you not to push past 20 amps though.

I've ran an overclocked GTX 460 on a cheap 700 watt power supply before and that power supply blew. It had enough amps on the +12 volt rail and everything. It still blew because it was cheap though. You really dont want to push those cheap power supplies.
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 7:27:05 PM

I would consider putting 25$ into this if you want to upgrade at all: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You may be able to use your PSU fine, but it is the source of all electricity within your computer, and can destroy anything when it blows. It's simply a good idea to put a fair investment into your PSU if you want to invest in your other components; rather than destroy good components trying to save a little money.
September 10, 2012 7:39:44 PM

theonerm2 said:
You can run an HD 7850 but that might be pushing it just a little. The HD 7750 or 7770 would run no problem at all on that power supply though. You don't want to really stress those cheap power supplies. They will blow if they draw even close to their rated consumption levels. The 7850 needs around 22 amps of current on the +12 volt rail, 19 amps for the HD 7770, and 16 amps for the 7750. Your Power supply has 26 amps on the +12 volt rail. Theoretically you should be able to run all three cards mentioned. I advise you not to push past 20 amps though.

I've ran an overclocked GTX 460 on a cheap 700 watt power supply before and that power supply blew. It had enough amps on the +12 volt rail and everything. It still blew because it was cheap though. You really dont want to push those cheap power supplies.


Thanks for the advice.Did the 700 watt psu take anything with it when it blew ?


djscribbles said:
I would consider putting 25$ into this if you want to upgrade at all: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You may be able to use your PSU fine, but it is the source of all electricity within your computer, and can destroy anything when it blows. It's simply a good idea to put a fair investment into your PSU if you want to invest in your other components; rather than destroy good components trying to save a little money.



I've seen this but I'm not in the US and where I live electronics are overpriced like 20% more than the real price and I get paid dirt compared to a normal sallary for the US so I really can't afford to spend even this much.
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 3:33:31 PM

bitspirit3 said:
Thanks for the advice.Did the 700 watt psu take anything with it when it blew ?





I've seen this but I'm not in the US and where I live electronics are overpriced like 20% more than the real price and I get paid dirt compared to a normal sallary for the US so I really can't afford to spend even this much.


Thankfully it was only the power supply that died on me. I was playing Dead Island and the computer just shut off. I tried to start it back up but nothing happened. That really taught me the importance of having a quality power supply for gaming. Now there is no way I would spend any less than $100 on a power supply. I'm probably lucky that none of my other components were damaged.
!