2 networks 2 ISP with failover

ekraus

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I have 2 separate LAN's in a large house. One network is 192.168.1.x the other is 192.168.0.x
Each has a DSL connection.
I am trying to figure out a way to have a fail over situation for loss of service from one ISP.

I was going to purchase a new Dual WAN router with fail over technology (Draytek).
I have an Cisco RV082 but have never successful gotten it to work with the 2 internet connections.

What I cant figure out how to do is have 192.168.1.x use the broadband link on 192.168.1.x

Its a long story why we have 2 networks in the house but it all revolves around a Crestron home management system using IPADs . The Crestron programmer claimed the the application on the IPAD was slow because of all the all the rest of the computers. etc connected. I split the networks putting the Crestron system on one (wireless) network and the rest of the computers on the other (Wired). Separate internet connection on each network.

I could use some help figuring out how do something like this. I am open to reconfiguring the whole house

As I understand it, you have two *physically* separate LANs, as in two routers, each w/ its own internet connection, not just two *logically* separate LANs (192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x).

What wasn't clear is the true source of the problem that has led to such segmentation. The statement "the application on the IPAD was slow because of all the rest of the computers etc connected" doesn't tell me if the problem is due to local congestion (i.e., behind the routers), or competition for the Internet connection. Best I can tell, you've punted and decided to cover both possibilities. But that has led to your current predicament. Had one or the other been positively identified as the problem, it would be a trivial problem.

Let's assume the problem is insufficient bandwidth from the ISP. Yes, adding a second ISP connection helps, but it only complicates matters from a failover perspective if you use separate routers. In contrast, using a single dual wan router (and the same network) for all clients would allow the router to not only handle failover situations, but load balancing the ISP connections as well.

Now let’s assume it’s a local problem instead. Segmenting wired from wireless users by using separate routers suggests the problem is an overloaded router, not wireless congestion. However, in most instances, wireless congestion is a far more likely culprit. Wireless is half-duplex and so no two devices can access the AP at the same time. As you add more concurrent wireless users, wireless throughput drops dramatically. But separating wired from wireless users does NOTHING to address that problem. The correct solution would be to use multiple APs (access points).

Seems to me you could accomplish everything you want with a single dual wan router. Now everyone uses a single router and the same network (192.168.1.x). And having everyone on the same network makes it a helluva lot easier to share resources (printers, shares, etc.). Your dual wan router would then load balance between the ISPs under normal conditions, and provide failover protection when necessary. And if you feel wireless congestion is a problem, then use multiple APs, each on different frequencies, either different 2.4GHz freqs or perhaps introduce 5GHz as well.

Finally, if you still wanted to segment your network into two physically separate routers/networks for some reason (perhaps you’re a landlord and the other users are the tenants, just to use an example, so you would like some separation for security purposes), then don’t try to cram the solution into a single box. Instead, use THREE routers. Establish the dual wan router to manage your ISP connections, but patch individual routers (for as many networks as you need) to that dual wan router. By doing so, you’re separating the issue of local network management from managing the ISP connections rather than trying to come up w/ one magical, all-in-one device.

ekraus

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Wow!
The reason why I split the network in 2 is because the application running on the IPADs was extremely slow in loading the Crestron pages. The programmer blamed the the lack of speed because of all the other hardware on the network. Let me explain what is in the house.
9 - PC's

3 Printers.
2 - Old Veusonic (Crestron) wireless tablets.
1 - video sourcer for the exterior house cameras.
Crestron Processor
2- IPADs (wireless)

So I split it off like this.
192.168.1.x
Crestron Processor
2 - Old Veusonic (Crestron) wireless tablets.
2- IPADs (wireless)
1 - video sourcer for the exterior house cameras.
Connected to a Wireless router (WAN 1), 2 - wirless access points. Using Channels 1,6,11

192.168.0.x
9 - PC's
3 Printers.
Connected to a Cisco RV 082 (WAN 2) and a bunch of hubs.

My boss wants to have the other WAN as a backup but I cant figure out how to do that other than putting everything back on the network.
Additionally separating the Crestron hardware to its own network sped up the app a slight bit.

I found out later that if the IPAd has any applications like Twitter, Facebook, etc. They are constantly updating which slows everything down.
The other problem is when people come over to the house they always want to connect so that attaches them to the Crestron LAN adding more congestion

I cant seem to dig my way out of this hole.
Your reply was great and any suggestions that you may have i will implement.