Hand-held device for displaying digital pictures

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 7, 2005 12:22:31 PM

Remember photo albums? They were little books, about the size of
whatever was standard for prints (5" X 3", then 6" X 4", and finally
7" X 5"); the nice thing about them was that when you had photographs
that someone else - your family or your mates - wanted to see you
actually took the album with you, and then passed it round. They sat
in a chair with the photographs in their hands (yes, in broad
daylight: I'm not kidding), and flipped through the pictures. If they
wanted to comment on one they simply turned the album towards you and
said whatever it was they wanted to say. Antediluvian, I admit, but
terribly convenient.

So, what do we do now? At Christmas I was reduced to taking my laptop
with me on the family trip to the parents' house, and setting it up on
the table, so that everyone had to get up and walk over and sit down,
one by one, to see the show.

I could see that a small dedicated device, battery-powered with a 6" X
4" screen (say), a slot for a memory card, and a pair of buttons
("next" and "previous") would do the trick. Surely someone has made
one?

(No, the alternative of printing them all out and putting the prints
in an album is not viable)
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:22:32 PM

Henry Law <lawshouse.public@btconnect.com> wrote:

[..]
> So, what do we do now? At Christmas I was reduced to taking my laptop
> with me on the family trip to the parents' house, and setting it up on
> the table, so that everyone had to get up and walk over and sit down,
> one by one, to see the show.

At Xmas I hooked my laptop up to my parents' TV and ran a slide show of
previous Xmas gatherings, that people could watch if they wanted to.
People seemed to like it.

Your camera is also a hand-held device for displaying pictures, if you
think about it... Some can drive a TV slide show, too.

[..]
> (No, the alternative of printing them all out and putting the prints
> in an album is not viable)

Why not?
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:22:32 PM

Henry Law <lawshouse.public@btconnect.com> writes:

> Remember photo albums? They were little books, about the size of
> whatever was standard for prints (5" X 3", then 6" X 4", and finally
> 7" X 5"); the nice thing about them was that when you had photographs
> that someone else - your family or your mates - wanted to see you
> actually took the album with you, and then passed it round. They sat
> in a chair with the photographs in their hands (yes, in broad
> daylight: I'm not kidding), and flipped through the pictures. If they
> wanted to comment on one they simply turned the album towards you and
> said whatever it was they wanted to say. Antediluvian, I admit, but
> terribly convenient.
>
> So, what do we do now? At Christmas I was reduced to taking my laptop
> with me on the family trip to the parents' house, and setting it up on
> the table, so that everyone had to get up and walk over and sit down,
> one by one, to see the show.
>
> I could see that a small dedicated device, battery-powered with a 6" X
> 4" screen (say), a slot for a memory card, and a pair of buttons
> ("next" and "previous") would do the trick. Surely someone has made
> one?

The Epson-2000 is the current favorite of this type of device, unless you shoot
a Canon 1ds mark2 (it can't display picturess as large as the 1ds produces).
The Epson has a hard drive in it, so you can off load memory cards. There are
other models, but the Epson has the best screen.

A cheaper approach is to either hook up your camera to the TV, or you can get
devices that take CF, etc. (Delkin makes one).

Depending on your folks TV equipment, many DVD players will do a slide show if
you burn a CD full of JPG's.

For pictures taken on the spot, a portable 4x6 printer (HP 375/375B, Epson
Picturemate, Canon CP-330, etc.) might do the trick.

If you have a PDA, and it takes the same type of media slots as your camera, it
can be used to display pictures.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

"Henry Law" <lawshouse.public@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> Remember photo albums? They were little books, about the size of
> whatever was standard for prints (5" X 3", then 6" X 4", and finally
> 7" X 5"); the nice thing about them was that when you had photographs
> that someone else - your family or your mates - wanted to see you
> actually took the album with you, and then passed it round. They sat
> in a chair with the photographs in their hands (yes, in broad
> daylight: I'm not kidding), and flipped through the pictures. If they
> wanted to comment on one they simply turned the album towards you and
> said whatever it was they wanted to say. Antediluvian, I admit, but
> terribly convenient.
>
> So, what do we do now? At Christmas I was reduced to taking my laptop
> with me on the family trip to the parents' house, and setting it up on
> the table, so that everyone had to get up and walk over and sit down,
> one by one, to see the show.
>
> I could see that a small dedicated device, battery-powered with a 6" X
> 4" screen (say), a slot for a memory card, and a pair of buttons
> ("next" and "previous") would do the trick. Surely someone has made
> one?

Henry, what about using a portable DVD player? Walmart sells one from
Polaroid that's less than $200 and will play PhotoCD jpeg disks.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:44:02 PM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:22:31 +0000, Henry Law
<lawshouse.public@btconnect.com> wrote:

>Remember photo albums? They were little books, about the size of
>whatever was standard for prints (5" X 3", then 6" X 4", and finally
>7" X 5"); the nice thing about them was that when you had photographs
>that someone else - your family or your mates - wanted to see you
>actually took the album with you, and then passed it round. They sat
>in a chair with the photographs in their hands (yes, in broad
>daylight: I'm not kidding), and flipped through the pictures. If they
>wanted to comment on one they simply turned the album towards you and
>said whatever it was they wanted to say. Antediluvian, I admit, but
>terribly convenient.
>
>So, what do we do now? At Christmas I was reduced to taking my laptop
>with me on the family trip to the parents' house, and setting it up on
>the table, so that everyone had to get up and walk over and sit down,
>one by one, to see the show.
>
>I could see that a small dedicated device, battery-powered with a 6" X
>4" screen (say), a slot for a memory card, and a pair of buttons
>("next" and "previous") would do the trick. Surely someone has made
>one?

Yep I have seen them... Ever try a search? A few moments led to a few
sites:
http://www.meritline.com/digital-photo-album-mp3-lcd.ht...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04101203epson_p2000.a...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030217smartdiskflas...
http://www.edigitalphoto.com/storage/0309edp_smartdisk/

>(No, the alternative of printing them all out and putting the prints
>in an album is not viable)
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:02:20 PM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:44:02 GMT, no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!)
wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:22:31 +0000, Henry Law
><lawshouse.public@btconnect.com> wrote:
>>I could see that a small dedicated device, battery-powered with a 6" X
>>4" screen (say), a slot for a memory card, and a pair of buttons
>>("next" and "previous") would do the trick. Surely someone has made
>>one?
>
>Yep I have seen them... Ever try a search?

Your withering sarcasm is misplaced. My search was for "digital
photograph album" and produced no relevant hits in the first two pages
(my usual guideline for Google searches).

>A few moments led to a few
>sites:

And in any case none of these really fits the requirement for a photo
album.

>http://www.meritline.com/digital-photo-album-mp3-lcd.ht...

This has the right size screen. But it's table-mounted (with a remote
control) and clearly intended as a rolling photo *frame*, on a side
table, not as a hand-held pass-it-round *album*. It's also got
speakers and so forth.

>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04101203epson_p2000.a...

That's got the interface - hand held, buttons on the front - but is
(IMO) too small at 3.8" No good for elderly parents' eyes.

>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030217smartdiskflas...
>http://www.edigitalphoto.com/storage/0309edp_smartdisk/

These are the same unit, which seems more aimed at offline storage
(it's got a 30GB drive on board) rather than at viewing, since its
display is only 3.5".
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:31:28 PM

Henry Law wrote:

> Remember photo albums? They were little books, about the size of
> whatever was standard for prints (5" X 3", then 6" X 4", and finally
> 7" X 5"); the nice thing about them was that when you had photographs
> that someone else - your family or your mates - wanted to see you
> actually took the album with you, and then passed it round. They sat
> in a chair with the photographs in their hands (yes, in broad
> daylight: I'm not kidding), and flipped through the pictures. If they
> wanted to comment on one they simply turned the album towards you and
> said whatever it was they wanted to say. Antediluvian, I admit, but
> terribly convenient.
>
> So, what do we do now?

check
http://www.pacificdigital.com/products/ce.asp

product produces very good pictures on the screen.

> At Christmas I was reduced to taking my laptop
> with me on the family trip to the parents' house, and setting it up on
> the table, so that everyone had to get up and walk over and sit down,
> one by one, to see the show.
>
> I could see that a small dedicated device, battery-powered with a 6" X
> 4" screen (say), a slot for a memory card, and a pair of buttons
> ("next" and "previous") would do the trick. Surely someone has made
> one?
>

> (No, the alternative of printing them all out and putting the prints
> in an album is not viable)

of course that was the good old way...
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 3:13:29 PM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:22:31 +0000, Henry Law
<lawshouse.public@btconnect.com> wrote:

>Remember photo albums? They were little books, about the size of
>whatever was standard for prints (5" X 3", then 6" X 4", and finally
>7" X 5"); the nice thing about them was that when you had photographs
>that someone else - your family or your mates - wanted to see you
>actually took the album with you, and then passed it round. They sat
>in a chair with the photographs in their hands (yes, in broad
>daylight: I'm not kidding), and flipped through the pictures. If they
>wanted to comment on one they simply turned the album towards you and
>said whatever it was they wanted to say. Antediluvian, I admit, but
>terribly convenient.
>
>So, what do we do now? At Christmas I was reduced to taking my laptop
>with me on the family trip to the parents' house, and setting it up on
>the table, so that everyone had to get up and walk over and sit down,
>one by one, to see the show.
>
>I could see that a small dedicated device, battery-powered with a 6" X
>4" screen (say), a slot for a memory card, and a pair of buttons
>("next" and "previous") would do the trick. Surely someone has made
>one?
>
>(No, the alternative of printing them all out and putting the prints
>in an album is not viable)

The main problem is that the resolution of current LCDs is nowhere as good
as the lowliest 6x4 print, so they would rarely do justice to your photos.

There are "portable storage devices" with 20Gb+ hard-drives that are
designed for off-loading of images of memory cards in the field, but the
screens on these (if they have one) are really only designed to review the
shots, not to display them.

You could try a handheld PC (iPAQ etc), but (plucking one at random) you're
going to get roughly a 3"x2" image at slightly over 100ppi.

Regards,
February 7, 2005 3:28:18 PM

Graham Holden wrote:
[]
> The main problem is that the resolution of current LCDs is nowhere as
> good as the lowliest 6x4 print, so they would rarely do justice to
> your photos.
>
> There are "portable storage devices" with 20Gb+ hard-drives that are
> designed for off-loading of images of memory cards in the field, but
> the screens on these (if they have one) are really only designed to
> review the shots, not to display them.
>
> You could try a handheld PC (iPAQ etc), but (plucking one at random)
> you're going to get roughly a 3"x2" image at slightly over 100ppi.

The Epson P-2000 offers a 640 x 480 image at over 200 dpi. Can feed a TV.
40GB storage, CF and SD memory cards. Worth a look!

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 3:57:23 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 03:18:27 -0800, usenet@mile23.c0m (Paul Mitchum)
wrote:

>Henry Law <lawshouse.public@btconnect.com> wrote:

>At Xmas I hooked my laptop up to my parents' TV and ran a slide show of
>previous Xmas gatherings, that people could watch if they wanted to.
>People seemed to like it.

That's a different way of doing it at a major family gathering and I
can see the attraction. It's not the same, though, as sitting down in
an easy chair with a couple of other people and just passing a folder
of prints across for them to have a look at.

>Your camera is also a hand-held device for displaying pictures, if you
>think about it... Some can drive a TV slide show, too.

Yes, you're right - hadn't thought of that. Must experiment. Has the
advantage that it's sufficiently large for people to sit back in their
chairs, look at the pictures and discuss them generally. Bit like a
35mm slide show without the need to erect a screen and black the place
out.

>> (No, the alternative of printing them all out and putting the prints
>> in an album is not viable)
>
>Why not?

Too many, frankly, to make it worth the cost of printing. As a
general rule I find myself printing a small fraction of the shots I
take.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:01:08 PM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:13:29 +0000, Graham Holden
<look@bottom.of.post> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:22:31 +0000, Henry Law
><lawshouse.public@btconnect.com> wrote:

>>I could see that a small dedicated device, battery-powered with a 6" X
>>4" screen (say), a slot for a memory card, and a pair of buttons
>>("next" and "previous") would do the trick. Surely someone has made
>>one?

>The main problem is that the resolution of current LCDs is nowhere as good
>as the lowliest 6x4 print, so they would rarely do justice to your photos.

Yes, I can see that as a problem if the audience is photo mavens; but
for "family" use it would probably be good enough. Non-photo-mavens
used to coo over Instamatic prints!

>You could try a handheld PC (iPAQ etc), but (plucking one at random) you're
>going to get roughly a 3"x2" image at slightly over 100ppi.

Yes, and I know people who do that, but the image is rather small.
The Epson device at
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04101203epson_p2000.a... looks closer
(but it's a lot of money!)
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:28:31 PM

I think you have two choices. One burn you images to a CD or DVD using
something like ProShow Gold thus creating a slide show. The when visiting
those with a DVD player display the slide show on the TV.

Or you can download your images to one of several devices such as Transcends
Digital Album that can be connected to a TV and display a slide show of your
images, or using a portable CD or DVD burner like the Addonics MFR connect
this device with the CD or DVD slide show to the TV.

I guess there are other options as well.

Good luck
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:58:22 PM

Arthur Small wrote:
> I think you have two choices. One burn you images to a CD or DVD using
> something like ProShow Gold thus creating a slide show. The when
> visiting those with a DVD player display the slide show on the TV.
>
> Or you can download your images to one of several devices such as
> Transcends Digital Album that can be connected to a TV and display a
> slide show of your images, or using a portable CD or DVD burner like
> the Addonics MFR connect this device with the CD or DVD slide show to
> the TV.
> I guess there are other options as well.

Connect your camera to the TV directly. Keep your slide-shows on one or
more memory cards. No extra hardware involved....

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 9:23:33 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:28:46 -0800, "Paul H."
<xxpaulhtck@zzcomcast.yycom> wrote:

>Henry, what about using a portable DVD player? Walmart sells one from
>Polaroid that's less than $200 and will play PhotoCD jpeg disks.

That's an idea; I didn't know DVD players did that. Got other uses
too :-)
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:37:45 PM

Henry Law <news@lawshouse.org> wrote:

>>> (No, the alternative of printing them all out and putting the prints
>>> in an album is not viable)
>>
>> Why not?
>
> Too many, frankly, to make it worth the cost of printing. As a
> general rule I find myself printing a small fraction of the shots I
> take.

Consider that the ones not worth printing are probably not worth foisting
off on relatives, either.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

> > Too many, frankly, to make it worth the cost of printing. As a
> > general rule I find myself printing a small fraction of the shots I
> > take.
>
> Consider that the ones not worth printing are probably not worth foisting
> off on relatives, either.

On my hard drive, I have a collection of over 12,000 photos. I wouldn't
dream of trying to print them, and I wouldn't dream of "foisting" all of
them on a relative. When our relatives visit, though, it's pretty common
for them to sit down and want to see some photos. I can pick which ones
they'll want to see pretty easily, pull them up, and show them what they're
interested in. The more I think about it, the more I realize that a
very-portable device with a hard drive and a display would be pretty handy -
but also sufficiently expensive that I probably wouldn't buy it.

steve
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:37:47 PM

Steve Wolfe <unt@codon.com> wrote:

[..]
> On my hard drive, I have a collection of over 12,000 photos. I wouldn't
> dream of trying to print them, and I wouldn't dream of "foisting" all of
> them on a relative. When our relatives visit, though, it's pretty common
> for them to sit down and want to see some photos. I can pick which ones
> they'll want to see pretty easily, pull them up, and show them what
> they're interested in. The more I think about it, the more I realize that
> a very-portable device with a hard drive and a display would be pretty
> handy - but also sufficiently expensive that I probably wouldn't buy it.

I just remembered: Olympus has their new m:robe thing, which is an mp3
player and 1.2mp camera with a 4 inch screen. It's exactly the thing
you're talking about. $500, tho.
February 8, 2005 6:19:34 AM

Paul H. wrote:

> Henry, what about using a portable DVD player? Walmart sells one from
> Polaroid that's less than $200 and will play PhotoCD jpeg disks.

Now that's a cool idea.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Steve Wolfe wrote:

> for them to sit down and want to see some photos. I can pick which ones
> they'll want to see pretty easily, pull them up, and show them what they're

Yep. The considerate photographer does a good edit job before the presentation...

February 9, 2005 12:25:16 PM

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:31:28 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
wrote:

>check
>http://www.pacificdigital.com/products/ce.asp
>
>product produces very good pictures on the screen.

Yep, that looks exactly like what I was describing. I knew there'd be
one somewhere.
!