I need a new motherboard/processor/monitor/HDD.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Hello everybody,

I am making a topic with regards to purchasing a new motherboard, as well as a new processor. I have decided that it is time to upgrade, as my motherboard has recently (and by recently, I mean over the past three or four months) started to decline in functionality, and my processor is only a dual-core with HT (I am looking to upgrade to a quad-core with HT). On top of that, my motherboard is not great for crossfire as it only supports one lane at x16, and the other lane at x4.

I typically use my computer for gaming, watching YouTube videos, the occasional programming in C++, homework, image editing, etc.

What would be a good motherboard/processor/monitor for high-end gaming? My current specs are...

AMD Radeon 6850 in CrossFire
Intel Core i5 650 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor w/ HT
Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD (I need this upgraded, as well)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ heat sink
P7P55D 1156 socket motherboard
12GB of Corsair XS3 RAM
Corsair AX850 Gold Power Supply

Give me some recommendations.

My budget is ~$650

malbluff

Honorable
It rather depends what your upgrade need is, in relation to HDD. If you are looking for greater storage, this may be suitable.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.93 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $579.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Depending what mounting bracket originally came with CPU cooler, you may need to source a suitable mount.
If your interest in upgrading storage, was about faster access, and amount of storage OK, then the addition of an SSD like 128GB Samsung 830, might be an option, and re-use existing HDD, with it.
Depending on the level of your existing operating sytstem, you may have to re-purchase, if changing mobo.
Price for processor is based on walk-in deal at Microcentre. If you don't have access to MC, you may pay $40 more for processor.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Guys, he said he wants a quad-core CPU with HT. The i5-3570K does not have HT.
While I don't know what exactly he'll need HT for, it's still a part of his preferences.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.86 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $647.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I'm assuming the 12gb RAM you have is 3 sticks designed for triple channel?
If so, you can only probably make use 2 of the 3 since systems these days are only dual-channel.

As for your current motherboard, can't you use the x16 lane as a x8 x8?

malbluff

Honorable

Yes. That's why I chose a mobo with optimum crossfire support and an IPS monitor. OP has cooler.

malbluff

Honorable
Trouble is, if OP wants i7, for high end video work, he probably also wants more than 8GB of RAM. i7 + 2x8GB RAM + Z77 mobo + decent HDD + reasonable IPS monitor, for video work, just doesn't add up, given a $650 budget.