kover

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hi guys, my first post here, i want some advice on what to buy with $430
I Was thinking about this parts, but i don´t know if this GPU will be overkill for 720p or will bottleneck the cpu.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mKpb

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 Weeks

Budget Range: $430 / Before Rebates (no MIR); After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet, Movies.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Mobo, Ram, CPU, GPU, Power Supply

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any good online shop, no Microcenter.

Location: Virginia, US (I live in El Salvador, my uncle will bring me the pieces, this is why i can´t get MIR)

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 720p

Additional Comments: I played games like League of Legends, Dota 2, MW2, Source Games. Want to play some of the new games and MW3 and BF3 at good fps if possible.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My old power supply fried and take my mobo and cpu with it. My old system was.
-Core 2 Duo e7500
-Biostar G41
-Random Cheap PSU
-Hd 5670 (Sold it to grab more money to upgrade)

Thanks in advance.
Pd: Sorry for my bad english/grammar.

450W is more than enough for that setup and that CPU can easily cope with that GPU.

55W CPU with a ~120W GPU, the rest of the system would be like 50W. Realistically you probably wouldn't even pull 200W while gaming. 350W+ is fine.

The GPU is massively overkill for 720P though. The HD 7770 would run 720P with ease. Even the HD 7750 would probably be good for ultra high on current games at 720P, just maybe not future ones. If you plan on upgrading to 1080P, the HD 7850 2GB would be a fantastic choice though.

I would argue they are overkill (for most people) on a single 1080P monitor at the moment to be honest. I can play virtually anything on ultra high @ 1920x1200 on a GTX 460, I just have to tone the settings down a tad on BF3/Skyrim etc. Skyrim is playable on ultra but it does feel smoother if you turn it down a bit. The HD 7850 is like 70-80% more powerful than a GTX 460.

The reason I recommended the HD 7770 is because that's about the same as my card which in my eyes is fine for 1080P unless you have to have ultra high in everything.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying the HD 7850 is a bad choice. I'm just saying he probably won't see the benefit of it over the HD 7770 at that resolution for at least a year or two

Well, I suppose that we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Pumping up MSAA and such on lower resolutions makes them much more tolerable to me because it partially makes up for their being low resolution. I find the difference between 720p and otherwise identical 720p with 4x MSAA to be very noticeable even on very small screens and during gameplay, not just in screen shots.

Doesn't matter if it is overkill. Grab the best GPU you can right now as you won't be sorry when you want to upgrade your monitor later. Even if he dropped the 7850 for a 7770 he wouldn't have enough money to get a better cpu. He could drop the 100 bucks into an i5 but that would take his gpu down to the 70 dollar range which is not a pretty place to sit at imo. Crank up the AA/AF/etc and your off to the races.

Just my 2c sorry for butting in your convo.

Its an older series .
For a build like this it will work fine
but Id probably use either the GSkill Ares for a dollar less or the Corsair low profile Vengeance for the same price

That doesn't matter. The models keep getting refreshed even with older series just like Intel keeps updating their Core i families with each generation and AMD has started to keep updating FX and their A series with concurrent generations.

Maybe .

But its possible they are the same as they always have been , and back then they were really pushing the limits to hit 1600 MHz and 1.5 volts
I would avoid them just in case

They update the model numbers and you can look up the components of each model if you want to, so not maybe. There's no reason to avoid them even if they were the older models because it'd make no difference except maybe slightly higher power consumption due to being built on inferior larger process technology.

Your RAM link didn't work.

However, I wouldn't be worried. You should be able to run the memory at any frequencies that are supported by the motherboard's BIOS and the CPU (LGA 1155 i3s don't have memory restrictions AFAIK, I know for sure that i5s and i7s don't).

Like I said, I don't think that you'd have any issues. I can't guarantee that you won't, computers can be finicky and not work right for seemingly no good reason, but it's extremely unlikely that you'd have issues.

Now if you were trying something like using DDR3-2400 with whatever timings memory instead of DDR3-1600, then you might not be able to run at rated speed for the memory, but it'd still almost definitely work, just at slightly different memory performance.

Even if it didn't, keep in mind that most applications simply don't benefit much if at all from fast memory. Going beyond say DDR3-1066 7-7-7-20 has a considerable diminishing returns on performance benefit. We often recommend DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 mostly because of how cheap it is.

Your board should have BIOS support for manually modifying the memory or at least for XMP to set up your memory properly. Also, Cas is a timing.