PSU + Graphics Card

Last response: in Systems
November 6, 2012 7:09:55 PM

Ok, so I recently bought this PC
Motherboard : MSI 760GM -p23
Memory : 8GB
HDD : 1TB HD partioned into two 500GB
CPU : FX 4100
and a very generic 500W PSU that came with the case which I will link here.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0064KJR6S/ref=...

It can manage 14 amps on the 12v rail so I wasn't expecting much.

Now my problem is I am getting a 6950 or a 6970 (or 6990 but I doubt it :]) from my friend who is getting a GTX 690, the Graphics card is in pristine condition, never overclocked only around 4 months old and so on... I need to get a new PSU and so yeah I have a microATX case atm and I need to find a PSU that will fit in it and still supply enough power for the Graphics card with the pcie connectors.

All I can get from the PSU right now is that is a 'ATX switching power supply' which means... nothing to me. I have heard almost horror story's from my friends about their PSU making a popping noise their graphics card burning out and motherboard frying when they used, so I really want to find a good PSU for under £60 that will fit in a Matx case.

Halp!

More about : psu graphics card

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2012 7:53:01 PM

Get an Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic unit of at least 600W for a 6950. If it turns out to be a 6990, you might want to be packing like 700W or so.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2012 7:53:58 PM

First of all make sure to know exactly what you're getting especially if you have a limited budget because all the cards you mentioned have different power requirements.

6950 = 500-Watt PSU with 2 x 6-pin PCI-E power connectors)
6970 = 550-Watt PSU with 1 x 8-pin + 1 x 6-pin PCI-E power connectors)
6990 = 750-Watt PSU with 2 x 8-pin PCI-E power connectors)

Corsair and Antec both have solid reputation for power supplies, see what you can get with your budget in your country.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2012 8:19:25 PM

It might not be enough power for the 69xx series cards, which were pretty power hungry.

Working with your motherboard should not be a huge deal.
November 6, 2012 8:24:37 PM

Seeing as my friend has an Alienware PC and he is doesn't want to remove a part of the casing to view his graphics card I have to run off what his PSU is, He has a 650W... Dell? Power Supply
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2012 8:32:34 PM

Oh Aleinware lol.

At least Dell makes decent power supplies.
November 6, 2012 8:34:49 PM

If I go with that PSU I can just return it if it will not supply enough power, but I'm not sure if it will fit in a microatx case...
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2012 8:39:49 PM

It should fit. If it fits a regular sized power supply it should fit.

Considering your case DOES fit a regular sized power supply, it will fit.
!