3 gtx 680's on 1 display

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanman23

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Just wondering if it would be a horrible idea to have 3 gtx 680's in sli on one display? My display is a dell ultrasharp 2312hm. The only reason why I am asking is because I hate gaming with two display's bcz it is always cutting your player in half. The only other alternative is three displays but I don't have the room for such a setup. So would there be a lot of stress on my dell monitor with three GTX 680's and would it mess with my system? I don't know if any of this information will help you guys out but I use the display port to hook up my monitor and I game on 1900 x 1080 resolution.

Solution
using multi cards on one monitor will not put 'stress' on the monitor. the monitor will only receive what is sent it by the card.

However, 3 680's on one monitor is ridiculous overkill. you dont need more than 60 fps on a monitor (ignoring 120 hz and 3d etc), and since ONE 680 will max anything at 60 fps, having 3 will not make it appear any smoother.

if you have 3 680's already which it seems you do, then go ahead and use them - it wont hurt but make sure you turn on vsync otherwsie your fps will rocket up using unneeded power and producing unneeded heat.
using multi cards on one monitor will not put 'stress' on the monitor. the monitor will only receive what is sent it by the card.

However, 3 680's on one monitor is ridiculous overkill. you dont need more than 60 fps on a monitor (ignoring 120 hz and 3d etc), and since ONE 680 will max anything at 60 fps, having 3 will not make it appear any smoother.

if you have 3 680's already which it seems you do, then go ahead and use them - it wont hurt but make sure you turn on vsync otherwsie your fps will rocket up using unneeded power and producing unneeded heat.

Solution

There is little value in a graphics configuration stronger than a GTX680 driving a single 1080P monitor.

I suggest you look into a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor, or even a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor.
Keep your old monitor on the side for e-mail, monitors, and other static stuff.

Even then a single GTX680 will perform very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.