Help buying new graphics card.

Hey guys,
I have a GTX 460 SE, which is really starting to show it's age. I'm looking to upgrade to a new card, and am looking for some help. I don't care if it's Nvida or ATI, I just want something that will keep me gaming for another couple of years until I upgrade again. Also, I'm not looking to spend much more than ~$200
Thanks for the help.

-EDIT to show my system specs-
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-870A-UD3
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE
Hard Drive
1TB Western Digital WDC WD10EARS-00Z5B1 ATA Device (SATA)
15 answers Last reply
More about help buying graphics card
  1. Anyone?
  2. It is tough to recommend anything without your system spec.
  3. with the price range will be AMD 7850 1GB or the Nvidia 650 Ti. AMD 7850 is better.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review

the only thing is that 7850 using more power. Can your PSU handle it?
  4. an amd 7850 2gb would be a good choice, if you can spend more then 200 bucks the a gtx 660 would be good also. but you might want to get some more ram with the saved money if you go with the 7850.
  5. Ouch... here's the problem. Anything above around what you've got is not going to give a significant performance boost, because it'll be bottlenecked. (especially by that ram.)
  6. I have a 750w PSU so it should be able to handle anything I throw at it. As for the ram, I was actually planning to spend ~$100 to get some more as I have about $350 to spend right now.
    I was actually thinking about getting one of these right now:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
    And then shell out for some more ram.
    So I guess my question is more ram? or a better GPU?
  7. well the only issue with that is your cpu :/ and ram you can spend like 50 and get 1600mhz 8gb so dont worry too much about ram its pretty cheap, as for the gpu it would be very much bottlenecked in games like bf3 or any cpu intensive games
  8. PanicMaster85 said:
    well the only issue with that is your cpu :/ and ram you can spend like 50 and get 1600mhz 8gb so dont worry too much about ram its pretty cheap, as for the gpu it would be very much bottlenecked in games like bf3 or any cpu intensive games

GPU or CPU?
  9. well depends on what game :/ i would have to say that you kinda need to upgrade both if you want a system that can max out any game... ram you will also want to but it is cheap so yeah... what games are you playing?
  10. I can comfortably play the games from this generation maxed out (Starcraft 2, Fallout 3, COD, Bad Company 2, ect) I just want to get ready for the next big jump.
    I also have my CPU OC@4.0 so it should be good for a while.
  11. no man sorry :/ i have my fx-8120 to 4.7 oc and it bottlenecks my 670, at least in bf3 so i recommend planning on upgrading your cpu soon(unless you dont want to play cpu intensive games)
  12. PanicMaster85 said:
    no man sorry :/ i have my fx-8120 to 4.7 oc and it bottlenecks my 670, at least in bf3 so i recommend planning on upgrading your cpu soon(unless you dont want to play cpu intensive games)

I don't know what's wrong with your CPU then because I can max out BF3 with ~60% load on my cores. Of course the frames are unbearable (5-6fps) but that's my GPU's fault. Unless of course I'm missing something.
    I also do a lot of video editing so the extra 2 cores really help out compared to an I5.
  13. what map? and also it seems that your gpu bottlenecks your cpu in games... hey listen if you want to get the 7950 get it, its a great gpu and will work fine with your system but have fun getting a lot lower fps then you should on big maps in bf3
  14. PanicMaster85 said:
    what map? and also it seems that your gpu bottlenecks your cpu in games... hey listen if you want to get the 7950 get it, its a great gpu and will work fine with your system but have fun getting a lot lower fps then you should on big maps in bf3

I think I might just wait a while and do a full system overhaul because I built this PC something like 3 years ago now and some of the components are starting to show their age. I figure it's time to invest in an SSD too :D
  15. ok :D hope it works out for you... be sure to pick a best answer
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gtx Graphics Cards Systems Product